BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Help! Lane Departure Warning System

09-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep
Drives: BMW X7,Lexus GS 350

Garage List
Help! My husband spilled a drink all over the rear driver seat floor when he was trying to put something in the cup holder about an hour ago. We got the mat out and dried to the best of our ability but now I'm noticing my lane departure warning light is not on. I could have sworn this light was on all the time before but then just read online that the system isn't active unless you're above 43 mph. I'm out driving (parked and trying to calm down now) but can someone tell me if this light should be on all the time? I also noticed that it was on about/around 43 mph but then also noticed that it went off at 50 mph but came back on. Should I be freaking out that there are some electronics under the carpet that are now messed up or has the system always done this and I'm just now noticing it?!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
lukehhhhh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i | 2017 i3 BEV

It's always on for me and flashes should I drift too close to the lane markers.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukehhhhh View Post
Thanks, I'm pretty sure mine was always on as well. I checked under the seat and there were no wires anywhere near where the drink was spilled. I'm hoping this is a just a really bad coincidence, but also wondering what could be causing it. I haven't had the car a whole month yet. The lane markers were clearly visible when this happened...so that not it...sigh. 😞
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsiaowei511 View Post
Thanks, I'm pretty sure mine was always on as well. I checked under the seat and there were no wires anywhere near where the drink was spilled. I'm hoping this is a just a really bad coincidence, but also wondering what could be causing it. I haven't had the car a whole month yet. The lane markers were clearly visible when this happened...so that not it...sigh. 😞
I believe there are several parameters that have to be met before you will see the green lane departure warning in the upper left hand corner of the screen. See below.

Mine turns on and off depending on the roads and the speed I'm traveling. Typically, it won't come unless I'm driving above 35 MPH. The icon also goes away when it can't see the lane markings on at least one side of the road. So, in my experience, the green icon goes away and comes back depending on several factors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
I believe there are several parameters that have to be met before you will see the green lane departure warning in the upper left hand corner of the screen. See below.

Mine turns on and off depending on the roads and the speed I'm traveling. Typically, it won't come unless I'm driving above 35 MPH. The icon also goes away when it can't see the lane markings on at least one side of the road. So, in my experience, the green icon goes away and comes back depending on several factors.
Thanks! I did read up on all of that in the manual. Talked to a service rep today and they said as long as the system is active the light should be illuminated at all times (this was my experience for the first 3 weeks.) I tested it several times over the weekend and the light would go off and allow me to swerve into another lane (without pulling me back,) even above 43MPH and lane makers visible on a sunny day. I have an appointment this week and will let everyone know what I find out in case it happens to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:33 PM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Thanks! I did read up on all of that in the manual. Talked to a service rep today and they said as long as the system is active the light should be illuminated at all times (this was my experience for the first 3 weeks.) I tested it several times over the weekend and the light would go off and allow me to swerve into another lane (without pulling me back,) even above 43MPH and lane makers visible on a sunny day. I have an appointment this week and will let everyone know what I find out in case it happens to someone else.
As I've said, mine has never stayed on all the time. What the service rep said and probably means is that "IF" the system is active the light is on. If however, the system can't see the lines on the road or the road has other issues that confuse the system then the light remains off until the situation changes. Mine is never on unless I'm driving over about 40 MPH. Even then, if the road is poorly marked the light is not on. I've monitored this pretty closely since I ordered the car last October and took delivery in mid November.

As a test you might want to hop in and start driving on well marked roads and watch to see if it comes on around 45 to 50 MPH. Then maybe hop on the freeway and continue to monitor the LED light. I would also go through your settings again and double check that you have all of the lane departure warnings turned on in the iDrive system.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2020, 09:14 AM   #7
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Mine is only on when it actually detects the lane markings. Otherwise, it is off.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
As I've said, mine has never stayed on all the time. What the service rep said and probably means is that "IF" the system is active the light is on. If however, the system can't see the lines on the road or the road has other issues that confuse the system then the light remains off until the situation changes. Mine is never on unless I'm driving over about 40 MPH. Even then, if the road is poorly marked the light is not on. I've monitored this pretty closely since I ordered the car last October and took delivery in mid November.

As a test you might want to hop in and start driving on well marked roads and watch to see if it comes on around 45 to 50 MPH. Then maybe hop on the freeway and continue to monitor the LED light. I would also go through your settings again and double check that you have all of the lane departure warnings turned on in the iDrive system.
I will do that! Feel better knowing your light is not always on, not sure why mine would have been prior to this weekend, but we'll figure it out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #9
Hsiaowei511
Counting the Days!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Mine is only on when it actually detects the lane markings. Otherwise, it is off.
Good to know, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 10:17 PM   #10
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Can confirm that green light is only on for me under "optimal" conditions (speed, road markings, etc)
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2020, 03:41 AM   #11
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Same here
Goes on in perfect conditions and blinks when out of lane markers
Otherwise mostly off in city driving
      09-10-2020, 05:45 AM   #12
lukehhhhh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i | 2017 i3 BEV

Quote:
I've paid more attention to this and can confirm the light only comes on when there are clear lane markings.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2020, 10:55 AM   #13
Mail4loys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i, '21 M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I've paid more attention to this and can confirm the light only comes on when there are clear lane markings.
I too can confirm it shows up when there are clear lane marking...
2023 GMC Sierra 1500
Appreciate 0