BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Bringing US spec BMW X7 to EU

09-06-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Bringing US spec BMW X7 to EU

This is a bit of niche question as I doubt many have gone through this but nevertheless wanted to see if anyone had experience with (permanently) bringing their US spec car to EU?

I'm planning to go to EU for a year or possibly longer (Netherlands to be specific) and wanted to bring my X7 with me. I'm specifically looking to find out more about:
1. Shipping rates and speed (from West Coast)
2. Things to keep in mind in getting the car up to EU spec and how cumbersome the process is, if possible at all
3. How it would affect factory warranty (would it be void?)

Im aware of the tax implications but as a citizen there's some specific rules that apply to my situation where I would be exempt from paying import taxes in NL.

Anyone here gone through the process??
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbad View Post
This is a bit of niche question as I doubt many have gone through this but nevertheless wanted to see if anyone had experience with (permanently) bringing their US spec car to EU?

I'm planning to go to EU for a year or possibly longer (Netherlands to be specific) and wanted to bring my X7 with me. I'm specifically looking to find out more about:
1. Shipping rates and speed (from West Coast)
2. Things to keep in mind in getting the car up to EU spec and how cumbersome the process is, if possible at all
3. How it would affect factory warranty (would it be void?)

Im aware of the tax implications but as a citizen there's some specific rules that apply to my situation where I would be exempt from paying import taxes in NL.

Anyone here gone through the process??
First question is, if you maintain registration in USA and are temporarily moving there I do not think you will need to do anything as this will be more same like tourist visit. If you plan to move and settle there you will need to own the car for minimum 6 months as otherwise you will be getting VAT not sure how much it is in NL but close to 20% of the car value.

There are companies that specialize in moving cars perhaps you need to check with them but I expect the moving cost to be few K from East coast
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #3
pchansen
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 X7 50i13%C2%92 X328i

I have no experience here but I wonder if I may be easier to just sell what you have and purchase something over there. The X7 would probably be considered a monster truck over there. If you decide to ship it anyway, you should "Americanize" it. Mud flaps with Yosemite Sam sayin "Back Off" and a bunch of your favorite bumper stickers. That should ingratiate you with the locals. 😁
Appreciate 1
Tinbad141.00
      09-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchansen View Post
I have no experience here but I wonder if I may be easier to just sell what you have and purchase something over there. The X7 would probably be considered a monster truck over there. If you decide to ship it anyway, you should "Americanize" it. Mud flaps with Yosemite Sam sayin "Back Off" and a bunch of your favorite bumper stickers. That should ingratiate you with the locals. 😁
Hahaha, definitely sounds like a good way to reduce the potential target market for it lol.

Well, so for one I just bought the X7 and they retail for a lot more there. My loaded $117k MSRP M50i costs close to €220k (that's over $250k!) because of insane taxes that I would be exempt from as long as I keep the car for at least 12 months after I import it (which I would since we would live/work from there and use it while there).

But all that sounds great in theory until you start looking into the specifics like logistics, inspection, etc. That's why imposed the question. Depending on all that I may decide to just sell it here and not bother with it. But for fact I know I wouldn't have to pay import taxes, it's part of a Dutch law that allows expats to import goods as part of their relocation back to the country without taxes due (as long as you've owned those goods for at least 6 months before importing).
Appreciate 0