E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Limp mode n54 wierd leak

09-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92

Ever since i installed a vrsf chargepipe with hks bov on my fully stock 2008 335i i keep getting a limp mode every 4 weeks that i drive my car (Total of 2 occasions) Today i got it and it was 102 degrees here in cali i drove a lil aggressive for an hour thats it. Then then the first time it happened 4weeks ago it happened after driving the entire day from 1-10pm delivering food with my car happened right at 10 2 blocks before my house literally. I turn it off and start up right after and it gets off limp mode. Chargepipe is tighttt no leaks , all hoses seem perfect the cars 51k miles, turbos seem good, I looked up a 30ff code and saw boost solenoid symptoms and it literally matched my symptoms of for ex: when starting up the car feels shaky for a lil bit like if its gonna stall and it actually shut off right after startup one time, and also limp mode etc. Not sure though and today after waiting a few hours from limp mode i open my hood and see this wierd oil looking leak on the plastic that goes on top of valve cover ill show the pic below. Its RIGHT BETWEEN my two boost solenoids but makes no sense how that happens idk.

Thankyou in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
About the only thing it can be right there is a valve cover gasket. It’s likely not related to your limp mode and for it to leak on the engine cover like that it’s probably pretty bad.

Also I can’t imagine trying to maintain a n54 powered car that’s used to deliver food...it’s gonna bankrupt you...
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
About the only thing it can be right there is a valve cover gasket. It’s likely not related to your limp mode and for it to leak on the engine cover like that it’s probably pretty bad.

Also I can’t imagine trying to maintain a n54 powered car that’s used to deliver food...it’s gonna bankrupt you...
Dude/or girl yea i quit that delivery it was doordash and it was like being at walmart but spending gas x2.
And well that sounds scary if its something really bad for that to leak like that i have no idea what it is im gonna whipe it off and see if it comes back more or idek. But thanks for the input
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 11:50 PM   #4
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Have you taken the beauty cover off to see if there's oil in the same spot on the valve cover?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 12:33 AM   #5
Steve Sas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2008

Remove cover and see where the leak is coming from.

Could it not be the BOV causing the limp mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 08:00 AM   #6
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

The oil could also be the oil filler cap leaking . It Could be seeping under the engine cover. Best to take it off, and clean it all up. Remove the oil filler cap and clean the rubber ring + the area it comes in contact with.
30ff is a boost leak. The boost leak has to be decently large for this code to trip. Check your piping from the turbo to the intercooler. And intercooler all the way to the throttle body. Possible your bov is not completely closing. Do you ever hear it fluttering ?
If your idle is wacky at start up, to me that sounds like a vacuum issue.
      09-06-2020, 02:19 PM   #7
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
The oil could also be the oil filler cap leaking . It Could be seeping under the engine cover. Best to take it off, and clean it all up. Remove the oil filler cap and clean the rubber ring + the area it comes in contact with.
30ff is a boost leak. The boost leak has to be decently large for this code to trip. Check your piping from the turbo to the intercooler. And intercooler all the way to the throttle body. Possible your bov is not completely closing. Do you ever hear it fluttering ?
Im going to try and remove the engine cover and see whats under. No turbo flutter ever.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgyasf27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_bro View Post
the oil could also be the oil filler cap leaking . It could be seeping under the engine cover. Best to take it off, and clean it all up. Remove the oil filler cap and clean the rubber ring + the area it comes in contact with.
im going to try and remove the engine cover and see whats under. No turbo flutter ever.
solved bsaically the vrsf charpipe has 2 screws for meth injection and even tho i tightened them at installation the first time they became lose.
Appreciate 0