BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Does the GTS DCT flash/tune make sense for someone who only drives in "manual" mode

09-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Does the GTS DCT flash/tune make sense for someone who only drives in "manual" mode

Wife and I share our M2 but she barely drives. When she does, it's in standard auto. I drive the car almost daily and always in "manual mode". Does the GTS DCT tune for better shifting make sense for me even if it ends up making the auto mode "stuck in comfort" settings?

Also, I heard you lose some of the burbles with the tune. Is this true when driving in manual mode?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Wait for xHP to release their DCT tune. Hopefully within 1-2 weeks.

The standard GTS trans flash is only good in manual mode, awful in automatic mode. Thor seems to be working great for a lot of people but support... is questionable. I'm running Thor, I love it, but will be trying xHP when it comes out because of their level of support for a lot of other platforms.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Wait for xHP to release their DCT tune. Hopefully within 1-2 weeks.

The standard GTS trans flash is only good in manual mode, awful in automatic mode. Thor seems to be working great for a lot of people but support... is questionable. I'm running Thor, I love it, but will be trying xHP when it comes out because of their level of support for a lot of other platforms.
Yeah I read through concerns of both but figured since I exclusively drive in manual it wouldn't really matter but no harm in waiting. Can you comment on the burble reduction?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 06:01 PM   #4
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Yeah I read through concerns of both but figured since I exclusively drive in manual it wouldn't really matter but no harm in waiting. Can you comment on the burble reduction?
I had no issues with burble reduction.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Quote:
I had no issues with burble reduction.
I've heard of some losing the "hidden" mdm burble mode
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Quote:
I've heard of some losing the "hidden" mdm burble mode
I flashed the CS setting from THOR and lost all burbles. The car does shift smoother and lost the jerkiness at low speeds.
From what I heard the GTS setting does not lose the burbles, but every time I have tried to flash to GTS with THOR it has failed so I'm basically stuck with CS for the moment. Haven't tried going back to Series (Stock) yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHog5873 View Post
I flashed the CS setting from THOR and lost all burbles. The car does shift smoother and lost the jerkiness at low speeds.
From what I heard the GTS setting does not lose the burbles, but every time I have tried to flash to GTS with THOR it has failed so I'm basically stuck with CS for the moment. Haven't tried going back to Series (Stock) yet.
How much smoother would you say the shifting is and is the reduction in jerkiness worth losing burbles? I drive into NYC almost every day so I get a mix of stop and go traffic and highway driving. Eliminating the jerkiness in lower speeds sounds good. Also, this is in manual mode correct?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Quote:
How much smoother would you say the shifting is and is the reduction in jerkiness worth losing burbles? I drive into NYC almost every day so I get a mix of stop and go traffic and highway driving. Eliminating the jerkiness in lower speeds sounds good. Also, this is in manual mode correct?
It's a huge difference for me. Im in LA and my M2 is my daily, the jerkiness at low speeds was really annoying for me in bumper to bumper traffic. There is no more jerk when letting off the gas at low cruising speeds. This is when driving in auto mode and letting the car shift, which i usually do when in city driving. It transformed the car into a much more comfortable DD, and I think it shifts better and faster when accelerating, making the car feel lighter and more nimble in a way. Also eliminated the weird 2nd gear hang from the stock setting when accelerating aggressively in auto/sport/sport + mode.

I think for me its worth it, Im not a huge burble person, I still have a little, but you have to give it a lot more gas and let off more aggressively to get a little. Car still sounds good though.
Appreciate 0