E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Front Sway Bar End Link Support

08-31-2020, 03:20 PM   #1
SiEgs90
Private
Rep
Drives: 08. 328xi. 97k. N52.

Front Sway Bar End Link Support

Best way to remove the bottom 16mm nuts if they’re seized? Used PB on them, 16mm and 17mm together, breaker bar on the outer 16mm nut. Impact wrench is too big to fit in there. Even with a swivel socket the control arm seems to be in the way a bit. Thought of removing the end link off the joint and attaching a deep 17mm socket on the nut with a breaker bar. I really don’t want to buy another impact wrench because who knows what will fit up in there. Don’t really want to get a tool to cut it off either. Thinking of biting the bullet because I’m installing the Lemforder links and they require a T30 which I have, but I’ve read it can be a real hassle to try and torque them to spec unless you have a crowfoot wrench. Has anybody had any luck removing these with a certain impact wrench? And has anybody had experience with the Lemforder links that require the T30. At this point I’m about to take it someplace cause it’s becoming a hassle.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:10 PM   #2
simster007
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E92

The best I could do was PB blaster several times and wait an hour. Jack up the car, can use both side front jack point and front center jack point and then use the breaker bar or a hammer on a wrench. A good whack with the hammer on the wrench should provide just enough torque to break it loose.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

If you cant get it off with the tools you have. just cut it off completely. I'm about 50/50 for salvaging peoples sway bar links this year. (I live in Maine) The part is not expensive. Its cheaper to replace it yourself then it is to take it some where, and to have them end up doing the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 06:27 AM   #4
SiEgs90
Private
Rep
Drives: 08. 328xi. 97k. N52.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodex m.e. View Post
If you cant get it off with the tools you have. just cut it off completely. I'm about 50/50 for salvaging peoples sway bar links this year. (I live in Maine) The part is not expensive. Its cheaper to replace it yourself then it is to take it some where, and to have them end up doing the same thing.
I ended up taking it someplace to have them taken off cause I just didn’t feel messing with it at this time in my life. I’ll be doing my OFHG and valvetronic motor gasket myself so that’s something I won’t have to worry about paying for so whatever. I hope they hold up well. The Lemforder links are much thinner than the OEM parts so if they don’t I’ll at least be able to swap these newer ones out if I run into any issues with these.

Last edited by SiEgs90; 09-05-2020 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0