BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Tune or not to tune

08-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Beno95
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Tune or not to tune

So I'm at a cross roads, and I am hoping you guys can help me decide...

I bought a 2018 M5 with 8,500 miles on it from a BMW dealership. Upon purchasing it I also purchased the extended third party warranty. The car is still under the manufacturer warranty for the next year or so as well. Now here is where it gets interesting. After taking the vehicle home I started looking around the car, and started noticing more and more stuff that would give away that the vehicles been "played it", one of which was an OBD2 guard that says "DON'T REMOVE". I found this interesting but didn't think too much of it, as I didn't know if this was something that came OEM or if someone added it later on. Later that night I washed the vehicle and noticed glue residue from vinyl lettering on the rear window and on my windshield. The letters said "GTHAUS" and some other stuff, so as most people would do I Googled it. I found the Instagram and YouTube channel of a performance exhaust company in the Chicago area, on their YT channel I noticed a video about the M5 (
). Immediately I was thinking to myself that's the M5 I just bought. The next day I ended up calling them and they confirmed it has a custom GTHAUS tune and some other information. At that point I was a little mad at myself for purchasing the vehicle, but got over it after looking over the rest of the vehicle and noticing that they took pretty good care of it.

Few days later I took it in to BMW for an alignment, wheel balance, and some other warranty items. One of the items they had to replace was the LCD for AC/Heating, when they tried to do that they called me and asked me if I tuned that vehicle. I told them that I have not and that I just bought it from them few days before. They then informed me they would flash it back to stock. After having that conversation with them I started thinking about my warranty, I ended up calling them back. The SA told me that it will not void my manufacturer warranty or my third party warranty as they don't report anything to BMWNA. Which I thought was weird (I came to BMW from Audi/VW and they report immediately via diagnostic tool). I don't trust the dealerships response and I feel like they are just trying to play it off.

Now I'm here trying to decide, should I tune since I could technically play it off as I bought it this way if something were to fail or should I stay stock.

Final note - After you drive the same car with a tune vs without a tune, it's a big difference. Just that extra power and the pops and bangs . I ended up ordering JB4 and it's just not the same, apart from the codes it gave. The powerband is completely different. On the tune it had a powerband that was spread out vs the JB4 it just hits you at 4,000+ RPM.

Any how what are your thoughts guys? What should I do?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I would try to get it from that BMW dealership to make some official note or statement that you bought the car from them which is tuned and that they are ok with it, and won't decline warranty in the future.

As once the time goes on, and if you don't have anything official like that, then they will definitely give you problems and headaches in terms of warranty if something happens. Currently BMW is tightening up on warranty and declining lots of cars with tunes.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
Beno95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
I would try to get it from that BMW dealership to make some official note or statement that you bought the car from them which is tuned and that they are ok with it, and won't decline warranty in the future.

As once the time goes on, and if you don't have anything official like that, then they will definitely give you problems and headaches in terms of warranty if something happens. Currently BMW is tightening up on warranty and declining lots of cars with tunes.
I have them saying that on a recorded call, so hopefully it sticks if something were to happen. I'll ask them in writing just in case.

That's what I've been reading on here. So I'm a little hesitant into tuning it just in case something were to happen that isn't tune related. I'm not too worried if something breaks because I caused it. I just don't want them denying something that obviously wasn't because of the tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 08:31 PM   #4
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

NO NO NO NO. I don't care whay anyone says, the car is tuned, it's as good as nothing if motor goes. Plain and simple, get your money back one way or the other.

Imagine the motor blowing and taking it, and saying "yea the service people said they would cover it"

That shit ain't flying. I would find a way to give it back and get a clean one. Unless of course you were already going to flash, then carry on.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 01:17 PM   #5
MikeStammer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C DG

Garage List
2021 M5 Comp  [0.00]
how did the dealer not disclose the fact there was tune before you bought it??
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:27 PM   #6
Beno95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStammer View Post
how did the dealer not disclose the fact there was tune before you bought it??
I spoke to them today actually. The service manager is saying there is no way for them to check if it was tuned without hooking up the computer, which I don't understand how they never did that in the first place. I would think they inspect every vehicle they get.

I'm actually going through a whole other situation with them now. Their janitor took my vehicle on a 300 mile joy ride while it was in service.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
Beno95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
NO NO NO NO. I don't care whay anyone says, the car is tuned, it's as good as nothing if motor goes. Plain and simple, get your money back one way or the other.

Imagine the motor blowing and taking it, and saying "yea the service people said they would cover it"

That shit ain't flying. I would find a way to give it back and get a clean one. Unless of course you were already going to flash, then carry on.
Only reason I didn't make it too big of a deal is because I'm debating between tuning vs keeping it stock. I'm more on the tuning side as it just doesn't have that "punch" while it's stock. I guess I wouldn't have even known how it feels if they didn't sell me a car that had a tune on it, now that they took the tune off it just feels slow. I did some pulls with my fiance (she has a F82 M4 with JB4 map 1) and we are side by side up till we get into a top end game at that point the M5 pulls a car and half in front of the M4.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beno95 View Post
I spoke to them today actually. The service manager is saying there is no way for them to check if it was tuned without hooking up the computer, which I don't understand how they never did that in the first place. I would think they inspect every vehicle they get.

I'm actually going through a whole other situation with them now. Their janitor took my vehicle on a 300 mile joy ride while it was in service.
How did the Janitor take the car for a 300 mile joy ride? He would have had the car for at least 5 hours if he/she were driving at a steady 60 mph.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:17 PM   #9
Beno95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
Quote:

How did the Janitor take the car for a 300 mile joy ride? He would have had the car for at least 5 hours if he/she were driving at a steady 60 mph.
I had it dropped off for some warranty work. Came to get it and noticed someone's wallet on the heads up display, then noticed a scratch on the door and broken mirror cap. At that point I got the SA who ended up getting the service manager. Long story short bunch of scratches on the inside, warped rotors, found marijuana in the vehicle. Dealer has said they would fix/replace everything I pointed out. As for the janitor he was with a third party company the dealership uses, but that individual won't be allowed on the dealership property to clean again.

He was a night cleaner. They had my car for a few days. Luckily I took pictures of when I dropped it off, to prove my mileage and how much fuel I had.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:22 PM   #10
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I had it dropped off for some warranty work. Came to get it and noticed someone's wallet on the heads up display, then noticed a scratch on the door and broken mirror cap. At that point I got the SA who ended up getting the service manager. Long story short bunch of scratches on the inside, warped rotors, found marijuana in the vehicle. Dealer has said they would fix/replace everything I pointed out. As for the janitor he was with a third party company the dealership uses, but that individual won't be allowed on the dealership property to clean again.

He was a night cleaner. They had my car for a few days. Luckily I took pictures of when I dropped it off, to prove my mileage and how much fuel I had.
Sounds like a disaster so far
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:34 PM   #11
Beno95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like a disaster so far
Literally, it's been a mess. Super happy that the dealership has been super cool. Everything I've mentioned I need replaced they've done it. Zero questions asked. Which is rare from my experience. We'll see how long it lasts.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #12
MikeStammer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 M5 Comp  [0.00]
i would return that thing and shoot for like 15% off a new one for all your trouble. a disaster from the get go.
Appreciate 2
      09-02-2020, 08:21 PM   #13
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

uh, what? Is that a bmw dealer? I'd post that name..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #14
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Is it the white M5 or the black one? I know the guy with that white one is on this forum......

Dealer is being nice because you could easily tell them you no longer want this car and they basically wouldn't have an argument for not taking it back.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:48 PM   #15
Beno95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Is it the white M5 or the black one? I know the guy with that white one is on this forum......

Dealer is being nice because you could easily tell them you no longer want this car and they basically wouldn't have an argument for not taking it back.
Its the black F90. [IMG]undefined[/IMG][IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #16
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
I personally would not tune....these engines are way too much and, for what, making it barely faster? It already is ridiculously fast.

I would buy something way cheaper and tune that if I wanted something race-car fast......another guy on here had his engine redone and I thought he said it was $80k according to dealer receipts.

If you aren't happy with the stock speed, I doubt anything faster adding 10% on is going to do it either.

I wouldn't even keep the car if it was tuned. Make no mistake....if they didn't plug it in and you drove it and the engine went out, they would make you prove you didn't install that tune.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 4
brava09767.00
Beno9511.00
themnmd1691.00
Egrunt553.00
      09-03-2020, 02:30 AM   #17
Beno95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Quote:
I personally would not tune....these engines are way too much and, for what, making it barely faster? It already is ridiculously fast.

I would buy something way cheaper and tune that if I wanted something race-car fast......another guy on here had his engine redone and I thought he said it was $80k according to dealer receipts.

If you aren't happy with the stock speed, I doubt anything faster adding 10% on is going to do it either.

I wouldn't even keep the car if it was tuned. Make no mistake....if they didn't plug it in and you drove it and the engine went out, they would make you prove you didn't install that tune.

This is the way I am about to push. I want them to take the car back, now let's see if they will.

So far I've had the car for 3 weeks, and have been to the dealership every week. Here are some of the stuff that has happened in those 3 weeks, not in any particular order.

1) DSC Button Failed
2) Alignment (they can't seem to figure it out)
3) Wheel Balance (still haven't figured it out)
4) AC Control screen failed
5) Hood scratched by service, they polished it out
6) Car gets stolen by their janitor while it was there to get scratch polished out, just to find it in way worse condition
7) Find out car was tuned
9) Notice crappy bad welds around the exhaust.

It just started to get very annoying, and I believe I'm annoying the dealership by calling every other day to figure out what's going on. Today they told me they would fix everything and give me a typed up and signed letter stating my warranty will not be void. Personally I think it's BS and basically a waste of paper, since at the end it comes down to what BMW NA wants to do.

Just a bit of a rant... sorry.

Back to the dealership tomorrow, this time to speak with sales manager about taking this car back.
Appreciate 1
ZIV3R99.50
      09-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #18
MikeStammer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 M5 Comp  [0.00]
I think you are doing the right thing. Heck, the fact they made it possible for Dirty Mike and the boys to joy ride that car is just insane
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #19
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
I would get out of that car ASAP. Use another dealer to buy your new one. That dealer has done a few sketchy things.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #20
Beno95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStammer View Post
I think you are doing the right thing. Heck, the fact they made it possible for Dirty Mike and the boys to joy ride that car is just insane
I think the same thing. It sucks because I really like the car, so I was downplaying the whole situation in my head. Looking for reasons to keep the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #21
Beno95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Spoke to the dealerships GM today. He will speak to the owner today and will get back to me Monday. Let's see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 04:37 PM   #22
Carbonless
Rep
Drives: BMW M5; Ferrari 458; Cayenne

Quote:
Spoke to the dealerships GM today. He will speak to the owner today and will get back to me Monday. Let's see how it goes.
What state are you in? If they give you any pushback on this tell them you are going to file a police report regarding their agent's unauthorized use of your vehicle(they are responsible for their employees and/or subcontractors actions while entrusted in their possession. Tell them that you are going to press charges and will pursue legal action if they don't agree to a full dissolution of the agreement and refund of the fees. I'm an attorney in California and know that this would be sufficient here but you should check w an attorney in your state before taking legal action.
Appreciate 0