BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Back into an M2 from an Alfa Quadrifoglio

08-27-2020, 09:29 PM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Back into an M2 from an Alfa Quadrifoglio

I always like reading posts of car comparisons so here's a recent experience and comparison of M2 vs. Alfa QV.

I had an 18 Alfa Giulia Quadrifolglio for 1 year. Planned to keep it through Dec or Jan to swap for an R8. In a year only died out 1 time due to battery issue which I wrote off as a fluke (didnt happen again). Then about 3 weeks ago it started stalling out with no notice, like it ran out of gas. over 1\2 tank. 3 trips to the dealer, they only cleared codes and had no clue. It was dangerous as 1 time I was blocking the entrance to a parking garage the other time in a left turn lane on a very busy road. WTF. You cannot put a QV in neutral and need a very special towtruck so you are basically screwed. Decided F this just get rid of the damn thing as it's my only car at the moment.

I went from a 15 M3 to 06 M5 to 14 911 C4S to 15 911 GTS to 17 M2 to 14 R8 to QV. Yeah, no rhyme or reason how I select cars other than love trying different sports cars.

I needed to find a car quick (and local) to get out of the POS Alfa. Missed out on a nice 18 manual F80 ZCP manual. Although I will admit the ZCP is Fk'n HARSH on the road. Eww. The Alfa is always communicating but NEVER harsh. That's why I bought it on crap roads. So then started to look at M2's. Missed out on a local manual then found a black 17 manual 19k miles 4 hours way for a decent price so put down deposit then went and bought it. Dealer gave me great money on the Alfa, I paid a decent market rate for the M2.

Thank God the Alfa made it 4 hours. I figured it was a 50/50 chance it would break down and I'd be screwed in the middle of nowhere lol.

When I bought the QV a year ago I was shopping for an M3 manual sedan but my local dealer had the QV. Drove it and was blown away. Figured be nice to try something new, and I enjoyed the rarity of it as I've had M cars since 2001 when they were not on every corner.

Impressions:

While Alfa has its reliability issues, the QV is magical to drive. Hopping into the M2 magnifies the level of detail in the QV drive. The M2's feels like a 2 series with a beefed up motor and M treatment, and just a brute. "dont think just drive it hard". The QV steering is amazingly weighted and communicates, and the suspension has magic in it - you feel the car movement during cornering and elevation changes. Its like during a hard turn it levels out the car while turning then you can feel the rear end hunker down as you floor it out of the apex - feels like 911 level grip. The Ferrari engineers tuned the car amazing. Where the M2 is just numb and a bit squishy, like an extra level of softness. Kinda like when I ran track in HS - the QV is a sprint cleat with no socks where you feel every bit of gravel with complete control and the M2 is a long distance shoe with some padding in it. The M2 drives on the road where the QV drives in the road.

The M2 has its charm though. Its like the hot blond who's not so smart but just fun.

QV power is just stupid fast. Interior details are a few levels above the M2, why does the M2 have a steering wheel out the size of a school bus lol?

M2 infotainment is way better than the Alfa. I really missed the exterior of M cars. While the M doesn't have the attention to detail of the Alfa I just like the hunkered down chiseled look with the flared fenders.

Driving around town not many cars are much more satisfying than the M2 with a manual. The shifter is a sweet spot between sport and leisure for daily driving, the M2 steering and suspension is numb, much softer and more insulated from the road than the QV so while not as engaging its admittedly less tiring to drive for a longer period of time. While down on power the M2 is much more fun to wring out when driving the kids to practice or running errands. The QV brakes are a joke around town, I get motion sickness trying to stop the car just horrible. On the backroads the M2 is a little boring as the engine runs out of steam at high rev's and the lack of feedback from the steering and chassis is a bit vanilla. But again, around town for a DD its pleasing.

Sound wise I had an MPE on my previous M2 and hated it due to the drone. Swapped for a Dinan X pipe plus Dinan muffler and it was excellent, deep angry tone with no drone. Stock the M2 engine is a bit coarse sounding more like a modded 2 series than M car. Since this car will be a short term car before grabbing an R8 I'm hoping to pick up something used and loud on the forum to spice up the noises a bit. The QV is the only car I've owned in 20 years where I didn't swap exhausts. While its not in the same league as my M6 e-race, R8 Kline, or M5 E60 Corsa - its fine for the new wave of turbo cars with farts and overrun to make up for the lack of cream your pants V10 8500 RPM race exhaust top end sound.

Almost forgot - trans - QV is an auto - first auto I've owned since 1997 - and its kinda boring. Its tuned to feel like a DCT or PDK and its very nice for what it is. But something about a manual for driver involvement. Too bad the new M cars are auto too. I don't mind a good DCT or SMG if you an adjust the shift modes.

Anyways... that's my rant and experience. YMMV, just my candid thoughts.

If you have a used Dinan X Pipe and rear muffler send me a PM I'll take it off your hands

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS

Last edited by Damage Inc; 08-27-2020 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 7
cptobvious2531.50
hlm2c289.50
mtl8852.00
doug_9992542.50
prompt292.00
LuvMyE923000.00
      08-27-2020, 11:20 PM   #2
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

It's a bummer that QV failed on you. I've heard they improved the reliability over the lifespan of giulia and was particularly interested in purchasing an 19' QV back when I was looking for a car. Giulia definitely drives better than the M2, even the Comp version. But the reliability of the S55 motor is what finally convinced me into the M2c.
      08-28-2020, 03:30 AM   #3
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

The main reason I don't have a 4C in my garage is because...NO MANUAL

Same reason with the Quadrifoglio and same with the A90 Supra

I can't understand those marketing clowns in these companies. For heavens sake these cars are supposed to be engaging to drive. The ultimate expression of their sports car philosophy. Many people who loves to drive love manuals...make a proper sports car with a 6MT and manual diehards will flock over like bees over honey. Simple but somehow they don't get it!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I'm sure it's down to my American taste, but the Alfa front just doesn't do it for me, nor does the small nose/big ass of the car. The area under the rear window and over the rear tire is just, well, forgotten as well. So, styling-wise, I would not give the car a second look.

Then there's the quality, and I'm not talking about initial quality, I don't keep anything "initial", so how it works when it has 80K on the clock is important to me, and that means no Alfa.

But it's interesting to hear your assessments having owned so many cool cars, and I appreciate the time you took with the details.

Hope you're happy with your brute before you get your ballerina.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
The main reason I don't have a 4C in my garage is because...NO MANUAL

Same reason with the Quadrifoglio and same with the A90 Supra

I can't understand those marketing clowns in these companies. For heavens sake these cars are supposed to be engaging to drive. The ultimate expression of their sports car philosophy. Many people who loves to drive love manuals...make a proper sports car with a 6MT and manual diehards will flock over like bees over honey. Simple but somehow they don't get it!!!
I don’t think it’s the marketing department that makes those decisions.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
prompt
Car Designer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

I want to share my experience.
In 2017 I test drove a LHD manual Giulia Quadrifoglio(funny because for UK the QV is sold RHD and only with ZF auto ) when they were about to be released in a race track in UK and I quite agree with your feelings.

Ride quality is good,feels very compliant on the road,and steering is direct and precise,other then this is very disappointing for the price tag

The car broke down while I was driving on at 100 mph and I refused to put down a deposit for it,a few months later I bought an M4 after a testdrive

In my life I had 3 Alfas so far but none of them can come close to the M2C or the M4 owning experience.

Things can change in the future tho because Bmw decided to make their flagship cars very ugly and in my opinion talking about sportscars this is not acceptable
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #7
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
For heavens sake these cars are supposed to be engaging to drive. Make a proper sports car with a 6MT and manual diehards will flock over like bees over honey. Simple but somehow they don't get it!!!
100% agree.

I remember being just crushed when I found out that the E46 CSL wasn't to be made in a manual. I mean, I couldn't even dream about the car. And that sucks, when you can't even dream.

I'm sure some sport-minded guy with more money than brains will stick a manual in the new Supra, but why bother, it's not a Supra after all.
Appreciate 1
Karmic Man1996.00
      08-29-2020, 01:39 AM   #8
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
For heavens sake these cars are supposed to be engaging to drive. Make a proper sports car with a 6MT and manual diehards will flock over like bees over honey. Simple but somehow they don't get it!!!
100% agree.

I remember being just crushed when I found out that the E46 CSL wasn't to be made in a manual. I mean, I couldn't even dream about the car. And that sucks, when you can't even dream.

I'm sure some sport-minded guy with more money than brains will stick a manual in the new Supra, but why bother, it's not a Supra after all.
someone already put a manual in the new supra with oem bmw parts
2018 Infiniti Q60 Redsport AWD
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6636.50
      08-29-2020, 02:22 AM   #9
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Nice write up. I've always enjoyed the M2s I've driven, and I liked the driving dynamics of the Giulia. I think with the refresh they've remedied some of my gripes with the interior, I just wish there were a mid-level engine like the 340 or C43. The base is too gutless, and the QF is more than I'd like to spend at my age.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #10
veenut28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2, 6MT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Just looking at the title and without reading the post, I was thinking "the Alfa crapped out on him ".

Unbelievable how bad the reliability is on these cars Car & Driver had one that spent over a month in the shop during their long term test.

I briefly considered it as an alternative to the M2C but I needed the car to function as a daily so had to rule it out
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 08:21 AM   #11
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Thanks for the write-up Mr. Damage. Disappointing but not surprising to read about the A-R reliability issues.

Nice too to see that I'm not the only one with car ADD.

As for the "if it ain't got a third pedal, I ain't buying" comments, I concur. I'm a long-time Corvette fan, and I won't even consider the C8 because it has only two pedals.

As for why manufacturers won't offer manuals in the USA market, it's because there aren't enough of us buying them. It costs a lot of money to certify a drivetrain for the EPA.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0