BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #1
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

2021 X3MC vs. 2021 M550

Hi all, I've had a 2018 440xi 6MT coupe for the last 3 years, and while I love the car and have thought about keeping it off lease, my wife can't drive stick and we are a 1-car house (NYC).

So, we were looking at ordering a 2020 M550 in February, to arrive this month, but COVID shut all of that and those plans down. But now, I'm coming back up to breathe and debating putting in a custom order for one of those two cars.

We've driven M550's together, and she loved them. We also drove Macan's, Panamera's etc. and she wasn't a fan of the ride compared to the BMW. Though the other day we borrowed my best friends X3 M40i for a little bit and she really liked that car too.

So now, I'm debating between the two and humbly ask the X3M fans here for their input. (I'll be posting similarly in the 5-series forums for diversity of opinions and ownership experiences).

Thanks in advance for any insights or advice you can provide!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

The only characteristic you mentioned was ride, and for that reason you can cross the X3M off the list immediately. Not because the X3M rides as bad as everyone says they do, but because if the Macan and Panamera won't make the grade, the X3M won't come close.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23688.50
      08-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #3
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
The only characteristic you mentioned was ride, and for that reason you can cross the X3M off the list immediately. Not because the X3M rides as bad as everyone says they do, but because if the Macan and Panamera won't make the grade, the X3M won't come close.
I live in Manhattan and have an X3MC. The ride is extraordinarily rough for the city so I would highly suggest you test drive in the city.

The rolling bumps of uneven pavement tosses the car around and you feel every little bump, which is endless in this city.

I don't know what your wife didn't like about the other cars you test drove but if they weren't smooth or soft enough for her, the X3M won't either
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

My wife hates our X3M because it’s so firm, intense, sporty, loud, and crazy. I absolutely love it for the same exact reasons. This is definitely not one of those soccer mom SUVs.
Appreciate 2
RR-NYC154.00
ando2002.00
      08-26-2020, 10:09 PM   #5
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep

This is all sort of what I'm worried about. There was, and still is until a test drive, hope that the higher seating position makes it slightly better of a ride for her when in the car compared to my 440... But that might just be a pipe dream.

The X3M is hard to walk away from for a few reasons - the sakhir orange leather (as close as I can get to my fox red in the 440), gigantic sunroof panel, incredible amount of practicality compared to my coupe, and it's a 'full' M car instead of the slight step down of an M550 compared to an M5.

Thank you for the help, especially from a local NYC owner. The roads are shit near us on the UES, so that's sadly good to know.

Maybe happy wife, happy life is best here until I can afford multiple cars and can get something more insane for my daily fun?

Just wondering am I going to 'hate' a really good car in the M550 because it's not as raw or nimble as my 440? Because I'd hate to spend the $, and hate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:13 PM   #6
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyas490 View Post
This is all sort of what I'm worried about. There was, and still is until a test drive, hope that the higher seating position makes it slightly better of a ride for her when in the car compared to my 440... But that might just be a pipe dream.

The X3M is hard to walk away from for a few reasons - the sakhir orange leather (as close as I can get to my fox red in the 440), gigantic sunroof panel, incredible amount of practicality compared to my coupe, and it's a 'full' M car instead of the slight step down of an M550 compared to an M5.

Thank you for the help, especially from a local NYC owner. The roads are shit near us on the UES, so that's sadly good to know.

Maybe happy wife, happy life is best here until I can afford multiple cars and can get something more insane for my daily fun?

Just wondering am I going to 'hate' a really good car in the M550 because it's not as raw or nimble as my 440? Because I'd hate to spend the $, and hate it.
What about an X5 M50i?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #7
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:

What about an X5 M50i?
Quote:
Quote:

What about an X5 M50i?
I've thought about it, and actually built one tonight on BMWUSA.com. Pluses were the giant sunroof, tanzanite 2 blue paint, and the same big V8. I just couldn't seem to get myself really excited about it though compared to the other two. It feels (in my head, having never driven one) like what I'd want to get my wife for her daily driver that I'd enjoy using at times, instead of what I'd want for me that she occasionally uses, which is what this 440 replacement is meant to be as she stores her old 2009 Lexus on Long Island at my dads house for when she randomly needs or wants it.

Did you test drive the X5 M50i? Curious about your thoughts if you did, as I'm just making assumptions at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:44 PM   #8
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I've thought about it, and actually built one tonight on BMWUSA.com. Pluses were the giant sunroof, tanzanite 2 blue paint, and the same big V8. I just couldn't seem to get myself really excited about it though compared to the other two. It feels (in my head, having never driven one) like what I'd want to get my wife for her daily driver that I'd enjoy using at times, instead of what I'd want for me that she occasionally uses, which is what this 440 replacement is meant to be as she stores her old 2009 Lexus on Long Island at my dads house for when she randomly needs or wants it.

Did you test drive the X5 M50i? Curious about your thoughts if you did, as I'm just making assumptions at this point.
I did test drive one. Very nice car, comfortable, powerful, plenty of space. It’s just not very sporty and I wanted something smaller. But great family car and highway cruiser, no doubt. It’s basically the SUV equivalent of the M550.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 10:50 PM   #9
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What about an X5 M50i?
Quote:
Quote:

What about an X5 M50i?

I had an F15 X5 and went to the dealer to decide between an X5 M50i or X5M. The G05 platform felt huge and very heavy. When I test drove the X3M, I was sold.

I don't know if cost of parking is an issue for you but in NYC, garages consider the X5 to be oversized. Depending on the garage, the additional charge can be astronomical. My garage charges an extra $100 per month while my old garage in this financial district charged and extra $250 or month
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      08-26-2020, 11:03 PM   #10
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What about an X5 M50i?
Quote:
Quote:

What about an X5 M50i?

I had an F15 X5 and went to the dealer to decide between an X5 M50i or X5M. The G05 platform felt huge and very heavy. When I test drove the X3M, I was sold.

I don't know if cost of parking is an issue for you but in NYC, garages consider the X5 to be oversized. Depending on the garage, the additional charge can be astronomical. My garage charges an extra $100 per month while my old garage in this financial district charged and extra $250 or month
Oof. I have a good relationship with my garage manager, and in February he told me that as long as I didn't get a Tahoe sized car, he'd let me keep my 440 rate to park whatever I wanted.

Will obviously be getting that in writing before I order something and check with him, but good to know X5's now count as oversized. Point towards the m550 or X3M still.

And the X5 feeling not sporty at all is what I was worried about. The m550 felt sporty enough when I drove it a few times. And that V8 sound was hard to hate. I think I need to drive an X3MC in Manhattan if possible and see.

I currently kinda want the X3MC for the sportiness, but it might just be too much for the wife right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 12:24 AM   #11
Tk718
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 m550i

I have the m550i right now and the x5m50i I drove felt much bigger. I didn't get any sport oriented feel from this suv except it's acceleration. it's a great daily driver and it's luxurious just like the m550i but I didn't enjoy driving the car and did not feel like it was fun.
Now the x3m felt right away more sporty than m550i, steering is more precise , engine and exhaust noise was great , handling for suv is very good and I feel like I can live with the suspension since I didn't feel it was too firm.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      08-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #12
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

I have an X3MC and considered both the X5 M50i and M550i. With the air suspension, I thought the X5 M50i rode very well and better than the M550i. It handles well for what it is, but it is still a bit of a boat. It's very wide. My wife has an X7 (which is actually fractions of an inch narrower, IIRC) and the X5 drove much closer to the X7 than it did an X3. That said, that V8 is a gem. Comparing it to the X3MC, it feels faster in every situation EXCEPT if you were to go flat out (where the X3MC is quicker).
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      08-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #13
Anders R
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Touring

I come from a G31 540i and the LCI M550i would probably have been my ideal car, short of an M5. Refinement is excellent, even on 20” and the fit & finish is a step up on the X3.

If ride quality is important to you, and brute V8 power the M550i would be my choice. Don’t be fooled by the “M” part, run the power/weight figures and the M550i is quite a way ahead of the X3M.

It also allows you to spec a lot of very nice options, like the real leather dashboard, Bowers & Wilkins, alcantara ceiling, etc
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #14
gallagher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3 M Competition

I lived in the West Village and have seen first hand what happens to cars in NYC garages. The thought of me putting my X3MC or any nice car in one of those literally makes me cringe.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #15
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: T

Totally different cars to compare. Depends what is priority. My last car was a G30 and I loved it. More luxurious than the X3 and very capable especially in Xdrive mode. The options are huge and you can really spec up to your needs. I got the X3MC because I needed more trunk space. M550i would be a excellent choice and personally it’s the sweet spot in the range. I probably would have it over a M5C.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #16
gotstocks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

I've owned both. A 2018 M550i and a 2020 X3MC. The M550 was nice, but needed a tune to really bring it to life. I had the Dinan tune on it and it was a blast to drive. I also had the AC Schnitzer exhaust. Without those add ons, it was just...ok.

The X3MC with zero mods is faster and feels way faster. It also handles so much better than the m550i, much more like a sports car. The ride is more harsh, but that's what you get with a sports tuned suspension and it's exactly what I wanted. If I wanted a plush ride, I wouldn't get an M car.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #17
Anders R
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotstocks View Post
I've owned both. A 2018 M550i and a 2020 X3MC. The M550 was nice, but needed a tune to really bring it to life. I had the Dinan tune on it and it was a blast to drive. I also had the AC Schnitzer exhaust. Without those add ons, it was just...ok.

The X3MC with zero mods is faster and feels way faster. It also handles so much better than the m550i, much more like a sports car. The ride is more harsh, but that's what you get with a sports tuned suspension and it's exactly what I wanted. If I wanted a plush ride, I wouldn't get an M car.

Hope this helps.
Except the 2018 M550i would be 460 bhp/650 nm and the 2020 LCI M550i which the OP is interested in is 530 bhp/750 nm so quite a lot faster
Appreciate 1
hoyas490131.50
      08-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #18
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
I lived in the West Village and have seen first hand what happens to cars in NYC garages. The thought of me putting my X3MC or any nice car in one of those literally makes me cringe.
I've had a car in Manhattan garages for 20 years without a single issue. They typically care less about transient parkers though
Appreciate 1
bknight59.50
      08-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #19
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Did you test drive Macan with air suspension? That makes a huge difference.

If you're going for one car trying to please someone who wants an M car and someone who wants a luxury car, one of you isn't going to be happy. The M-performance cars are as close as you're going to get to a compromise. If you're interested in the M just because it's the top dog for performance, ask yourself how will you use that performance? Unless you are hitting 80-120mph on a regular basis, there isn't a lot of added value to the M other than prestige, especially if you have someone who is sensitive to comfort.
Appreciate 2
hoyas490131.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
      08-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #20
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Drive them it's only way to be sure no ones opinion matter but yours, I think the X3MC is fine but others don't.

I do find these posts very strange but they are a popular thing, but I've never asked for opinions when buying a car as it's mine that matters when I'm spending my money... but perhaps that's just me.
      08-27-2020, 09:33 PM   #21
gallagher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3 M Competition

Quote:
I've had a car in Manhattan garages for 20 years without a single issue. They typically care less about transient parkers though
Then you either have a very high tolerance for dings and scratches or you’ve found the only garage in town where those don’t happen on a regular basis. I wasn’t transient...I lived in the city and parked my car in a $850 per month garage around the corner from my apartment.

What a classic NYC douche comment.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 10:57 AM   #22
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
Quote:
Then you either have a very high tolerance for dings and scratches or you've found the only garage in town where those don't happen on a regular basis. I wasn't transient...I lived in the city and parked my car in a $850 per month garage around the corner from my apartment.

What a classic NYC douche comment.
Classic NYC douche comment? No wonder you "used to" live in NYC if at all. I don't have a high tolerance for dings. Perhaps the garage down the street didn't like you? I can imagine why based on the one and only exchange we've had. It is nonsensical for a garage to beat up a car that's parked there on a monthly basis. If anything, they'll beat up an hourly car because they'll probably never see the person.

PS- At $850 per month, you were ripped off or lying. lol. I spent 18 years in village and never paid over $500 for a 1st floor spot. Im in the east village now and pay $600 for a self park reserved spot on the first floor and I keep the keys.
Appreciate 1
bknight59.50