BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum And Then This Happened Today...

08-25-2020, 09:24 PM   #1
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

And Then This Happened Today...

This is why I hate the state I live in. No enforcement for vehicles covering their loads plus the excessive use of Chip Seal's substandard garbage that the state uses to spread oil and gravel everywhere.

I've lived in Washington State for 25 years. I've owned around 10 vehicles since moving to this state and I've had to replace the windshield on every single one of them. In some cases twice! All because of debris flying from uncovered loads/gravel trucks/vehicles spitting out rocks when they run over them, logging trucks, etc. I'm sick of it.

I have a zero deductible glass policy with Safeco insurance and started a claim. I went to two glass shops and both said the windshield is not repairable. One shop said they would order the OEM windshield directly from BMW and stated they would also calibrate it after installation.

The second shop recommended I just ride it out and wait to see if it spreads. He said there was probably a 50% chance that it wouldn't spread. However, he said that if it did spread he recommended the windshield get replaced by a BMW dealer due to calibration and install issues.

He also indicated that most glass shops don't yet have the new calibration tools needed for the newer cars. He said he knew of some customers that did have their windshield replaced by the first glass shop I went to because they do have the correct calibration tools. However, he also stated that those same customers wound up going to the dealer to get the car recalibrated because the glass shop's calibration was off.

So, I've decided to wait it out if I can keep from going nuts looking at it. Luckily the chip is at the bottom of the windshield and can't be seen at all from the drivers seat. But you all know how that goes. Once you see it and know it's there you can't UN-see it or fool yourself into thinking it's not there because you can't see it while driving. I've also been told that the dealer may charge me for the windshield replacement and I will have to get reimbursed from my insurance company.

What are other's experiences in getting their windshield replaced with all the new technology installed with the windshields?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I posted in another thread about my experience with getting my windshield replaced when a tint shop scratched it. I had the dealer body shop replace it with OEM glass. The windshield replacement requires replacement and calibration of the KAFAS camera (the camera in the top center of the windshield) which is used by the semi-autonomous driving system.

After the windshield replacement, I had some faults in the semi-autonomous driving system. It took a bit of troubleshooting to find the problem, but ultimately the KAFAS camera was replaced (again) and calibrated properly, and all is well now. So my advice is if you decide to get the windshield replaced, stick with the dealer and OEM glass.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:20 PM   #3
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Sorry that happened to you! I would definitely get it replaced at BMW dealer. I am not sure that I would wait, it will spread especially with temperature/weather changing. I had similar issue before. Good luck..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the information folks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:48 PM   #5
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBA View Post
Sorry that happened to you! I would definitely get it replaced at BMW dealer. I am not sure that I would wait, it will spread especially with temperature/weather changing. I had similar issue before. Good luck..
The reason I'm waiting is that my dealer is 105 miles away and usually involves me getting a loaner vehicle due to the time required for service/repairs.

Plus, during this time of year they're chip sealing the entire damn state which makes it almost impossible to avoid rocks on all the roads. When fall comes around shortly there will be more rain and less debris on the roadways hopefully. Plus, I know it's just going to happen again like it always does around here.

I'm just prolonging the agony of taking it in and then having it happen all over again which it certainly will.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 06:19 AM   #6
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Do you guys think that film on windshield would help?
When I was looking into ppf, the guy was trying to sell me protecting film for the windshield too.

This looks like a big Rock so not sure it would matter but curious if anyone got it
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #7
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockguru View Post
Do you guys think that film on windshield would help?
When I was looking into ppf, the guy was trying to sell me protecting film for the windshield too.

This looks like a big Rock so not sure it would matter but curious if anyone got it
It absolutely helps, it's not 100%, but definitely mitigates the damage. Plenty of dump trucks and 18-wheelers out there, I just stay way, way, way far away from any truck on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
Last time I used non-OEM glass, the automatic windshield wiper rain sensor stopped working...
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1839.50
      08-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #9
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

You gotta push for the OEM glass and dealer install, without question.

Had a glass claim a few years back when a gazebo blew off a neighboring building's roof and after almost crushing me, smashed into my X5.

Progressive Insurance wanted to use 3rd party glass and Safelite install instead of the dealer shop. Had to fight them quite a bit for the OEM glass, but they insisted on using Safelite. Welp, the installer bent my wiper arm so much during install that it started rubbing on the hood every time I would turn them on, causing the paint to be worn down to the metal.

Ended up costing the insurance company a small fortune as the entire hood now needed a repaint.

Avoid the BS and insist on OEM + dealer installation.
      08-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #10
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

That sucks... I have had this happen my self with local quarry trucks. I now avoid them and their main route areas at all cost. I will say I have never seen a carnation form like yours did almost like a etched picture in the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #11
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mercedes S560

At least you can't see to from inside the car. In the past I have had OEM glass replaced by the dealer's body shop and its worked out great. Its a process getting the insurance company to agree to that though.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #12
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yeah. I talked to my agent today and they are pushing for Safelite. I told them there was no way that was happening and told him to get it worked out so I could have BMW do it. I will probably have to pay up front and get reimbursed but I'm going to tell them if they won't reimburse than I will be moving to another Insurer.

I've about had it with these Insurance companies dictating who/what/where/when and how. I can't see why they won't allow BMW to do the work since they have to order the glass direct from BMW anyway. I can't see how Safelite can get the glass cheaper than BMW can. However, maybe they give Safelite a discount on the glass.

Either way, BMW will be doing the work or I'll be moving on to another carrier.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 11:21 PM   #13
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mercedes S560

So, what I found was you have to make them stop thinking of it as a glass claim, and start thinking of it as a comprehensive claim just as if a body panel had been damaged. Once my agent got the claim switched, they no longer had any issue with the OEM glass or Lexus doing the install.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #14
aptekcom
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Yeah. I talked to my agent today and they are pushing for Safelite. I told them there was no way that was happening and told him to get it worked out so I could have BMW do it. I will probably have to pay up front and get reimbursed but I'm going to tell them if they won't reimburse than I will be moving to another Insurer.

I've about had it with these Insurance companies dictating who/what/where/when and how. I can't see why they won't allow BMW to do the work since they have to order the glass direct from BMW anyway. I can't see how Safelite can get the glass cheaper than BMW can. However, maybe they give Safelite a discount on the glass.

Either way, BMW will be doing the work or I'll be moving on to another carrier.
I have Progressive as well, and had the glass installer handle the claim direct with the insurance. I told him I wanted OEM glass and when they conferenced me in with Progressive, I had to state that, and it was approved. When I called on my own, they also wanted to use Safelite. The glass shop was affiliated with the local BMW dealership.
Appreciate 0