BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Some questions for former X3 M40i owners who are now X3M Comp owners

Hi folks,

I'm contemplating trading up my X3 M40i for an X3M Comp and I have a few question. Please reply only if you have owned both vehicles for at least a few months. Thanks in advance!

1. Is the ride on the X3M Comp really much harder than the ride on the X3 M40i with standard (non-adaptive suspension) when driving on imperfect roads (with potholes, etc)?
2. I'm in the minority on this, but I really DON'T like all the loud burbles and pops (backfires) coming from the exhaust on my 2019 M40i every time I decelerate when I'm in the Sport or Sport Plus engine setting. Does the 2020 X3M Comp also have the loud pops and burbles upon deceleration in Sport and Sport Plus engine modes?
3. What sort of average MPG are you getting in combined city/highway driving?
4. Can you disable ASD on the X3M using Bimmercode? Does it require a different version of Bimmercode than I'm currently using on my X3 M40i?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
Hi folks,

I'm contemplating trading up my X3 M40i for an X3M Comp and I have a few question. Please reply only if you have owned both vehicles for at least a few months. Thanks in advance!

1. Is the ride on the X3M Comp really much harder than the ride on the X3 M40i with standard (non-adaptive suspension) when driving on imperfect roads (with potholes, etc)?
2. I'm in the minority on this, but I really DON'T like all the loud burbles and pops (backfires) coming from the exhaust on my 2019 M40i every time I decelerate when I'm in the Sport or Sport Plus engine setting. Does the 2020 X3M Comp also have the loud pops and burbles upon deceleration in Sport and Sport Plus engine modes?
4. Can you disable ASD on the X3M using Bimmercode? Does it require a different version of Bimmercode than I'm currently using on my X3 M40i?
I can't compare the suspension to an M40 as I only ever test drove one but I can tell you I'm in PA with our horrible roads and I just reprogrammed my M1 button to set the suspension to sport plus and M1 is my every day driving settings. It's also a daily driver with a good mix of highway and town.

The exhaust does burble if you kick it down but you can change the exhaust setting once the engine is in sport or above.

I'm getting 17+ mpg with driving in sport all the time and heavy on the right pedal. I have a 35 mile one way commute to work and it's probably exactly 50/50 interstate and "town" driving.

Don't know about disabling ASD but going off other things I've read I don't know why you couldn't code it out.
Retired: 2020 M340i xDrive
Retired: 2017 X5M
Retired: 2016 550i xDrive
Retired: 2015 X6 50i
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
Tk718
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 m550i

I drove both cars back to back this weekend at UDE in NJ. X3m comp exhaust didn't have as many burbles as m40i at deceleration. Exhaust sounded very good especially at high rpm.

I believe the m40i had adaptive suspension , definitely softer than x3m , but I prefer the x3m suspension. It's very controlled , potholes and bumps didn't feel jarring as others have said, suspension felt controlled and firm.

Was very impressed with the x3m , even preferred to x5m50i for the fun factor.

Check out when UDE event is coming to your area, they have very good selection of test drives.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #4
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hi folks,

I switched from F82 to X3 M40i and then to X3MC, so here are my thoughts:
1) Ride in the stock X3MC is somewhat firmer than it was in my 2019 M40i. After putting wider tires and MSS springs, the ride has improved quite dramatically.
2) I had the 2019 M40i, so I also got to experience the loud pops and bangs. I loved them. They got nerfed in the 2020 model. The pops and bang are also to hear in the stock X3MC but they are nor nearly as loud and pronounced. You can always close the exhaust valve with a console button and they pretty much disappear.
3) I was getting 16-17 mpg in my stock X3MC. It’s no more stock.
4) Yes, you can disable the ASD with Bimmercode. You can also pull out the fuse.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
Wiles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i MSport manual, 2020X3M

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Own both, love them both, but they are different.

Own both, Keeping both.
2018 X3 M40, with Adaptive suspension. (family daily driver) 25000 miles
2020 X3M non comp, but with Comp Seats and 21 inch wheels. Personal fun car. 2500 miles. Both have the Executive package and are nearly identical in terms of equipment.

The X3M is a much stiffer ride, not horrible just very stiff. It's the best part of the car, the front has such amazing grip. Turn in is awesome. The Comp seats and Nappa leather are so much better in the X3M. MPG is not so great however, 17-22 is what I see. Road trip on 100% highway still could not get much over 22 mpg. Range never gets into the high 300's on this model. Sub 20 is common for me.

The X3 M40i on similar trips gets 28 or better. Typical 23-24 mpg on a tank. Range often will show over 400, so figure at least 25% more fuel costs.

X3 M40i ride is very nice. Better with guests or wife in car as its handles but rides nicer. The X3M is 100% a drivers car. My Wife likes sporty but doesn't like the ride of the X3M. But she likes the seats.

Where the M40i shines is throttle response and low rpm. It feels more direct than the X3M, the engine and transmission on the M40i are perfectly matched. X3M on the highway often feel mismatched, needs to downshift on hills to maintain 75. M40i doesn't, that makes no sense to me. But it is what it is. I think the torque is just so much milder at normal lower RPM in the X3M. At highway or slower speeds the X3M can sometimes feel not ready or lag on torque delivery. The M40i seems better suited do everyday driving. Not faster but feels more responsive. If I could have the engine and trans behavior of the M40i and the seats and steering of the X3M that would be ideal. I suspect the stiff suspension is giving the feed back I like at turn in, so no free lunch.

The exhaust noise of the M40i is funny and makes lots of noise at startup, burps and pops, but he X3M just sounds good. More engine less exhaust. I think the X3M is more mature but they are both good, and I like the fart sounds of the M40i.

Both are great cars. If you can only have one, the M40i is the better everyday car for all uses. The X3M is just a more focused drivers car. I am glad I own both. Very hard to get a comfortable relaxing ride in the X3M but I don't mind the cars ride. I think around town with a guest the X3M is so stiff non sports car folks may think it is hard. Sports car people typically feel it is fine. Drivers all love the way it darts and feels.

Biggest complaint of the M40i. Seats, not horrible just not as nice as the X3M Comp seat. I have ventilated in both and they have limited cooling. The support of the X3M comp seat is perfect.

Last edited by Wiles; 08-18-2020 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
DAC17170.50
      08-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #6
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Owned a 2018 X3 M40i For 2 years.

Suspension is a bit harsher on the X3M

Pops and bangs are minimal on X3M vs M40i

MPG is 19-20 X3M and was around 26-27 on M40i

Yes you can disable ASD
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
BOEING 777
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC 2022 X3MC 2023 M3C

Quote:
Hi folks,

I owned 2 X4 M40I prior to getting my X4MC basically same car as the X3 M40I

The M40 has adaptive suspension and does not ride as hard as the X4M in any condition but you can install MSS springs to remedy that as Alex has stated

The average MPG on the M40 is much better than the X4M from my driving experience.

Have no idea about disabling ASD.

The burbles on the M40 are a lot more pronounced than the X4M
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #8
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

TX3M - [disclaimer being shared, as always, you really need to get some good seat time to sort out the firmness of ride and how it suits you and your family members]

As you probably know my wife and I both owned G01 X3M40i models. Although the ride is a bit firm for her, I haven't lowered her yet to 32/35 but plan on doing so. She does, however, appreciate how much better the handling is, and from my standpoint, I just don't see myself going back to the MPerformance offering now that I've tasted what the M Division has done with their flagship line. I don't mind the road feedback as it gives me a sense how far I should go. May be an odd way of thinking about it, but if the road is full of potholes and imperfections, I shouldn't wish to force it to beyond it's capabilities in those settings. YMMV

Although one can force the burbles to some extent in the X3MC, that hasn't ever been something I look for or try to do, and actually for neighbors with dogs and/or parking lots I usually keep in Eff and then change to Sport/Sport+ on the open roads. So that shouldn't be an issue if that is a concern (IMO).

Out of order of your questions, but will say we bypassed the ASD with the harness. Can't comment about coding and didn't want to pull the fuse, as nothing changes now when I take it in for service and the harness is seamless. Not sure how iD7 in the 2021 models will change that, as my understanding is the harness capability is now gone? But yes, I don't see ever using ASD in any vehicle I purchase. I either hear the real thing or I don't (again, personal preference).

Regarding the MPG - the aerodynamics of this high performance vehicle limits the Design and Engineering teams as to how much they can offer in that regards. The idea of grill slats and curtains and breathers, at least in this design, must not have been feasible. I'm attaching a chart I've shared a few times previously to show mileage studies I did on our G01s and a few I did on our F97s. Although I don't have as many data points, they have been almost universally reproducible on the HWY. With Sport, which uses regeneration technology to recharge, you're going to have less coasting, so probably 1mpg (US) less than Eff on the HWY. But I always keep it at least in Sport in case I need more rapid performance in high speed situations. So 20-21mpg at 80mph HWY. If backroads at 55-60mph, more like 26mpg. In town varies tremendously based on traffic conditions, and whether I'm in Sport/Sport+ during which times I am not gentle on the accelerator. So those numbers will mean nothing to you in translation, as for sure, YMMV.

Get some good seat time in one and you'll know if it'll be the right one for you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
AlexFL7837.00
ando2002.00
      08-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #9
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Thanks everyone for your extremely helpful comments and feedback! Well, I did an extended test drive of an X3MC today and made a decision.

Let me start by saying I REALLY, REALLY wanted to love this car and I was ready to buy one. The things I was concerned about turned out not to be an issue. The exhaust even in Sport mode is quite nice and not too loud, there are no pops and backfires even in Sport Plus. The ride was firm but not unbearable. So good so far.

The deal-breaker for me (which you are all familiar with) is the fact that the acceleration below 3K rpm is just terrible (in my opinion). I drove in the most aggressive mode (Sport Plus, D3) and even in that mode absolutely nothing happens below 3K rpm even when I mashed the gas pedal. I live in a major metropolitan area and have to drive in a lot of stop and go traffic, so there's no way this would be tolerable for me and I know I would be frustrated. I would keep mine totally stock so tuning isn't a solution for me either. Like I said, I really wanted to love this car and I'm very disappointed that it's not a good fit for me. I'm keeping my X3 M40i for now.

Thanks again everyone for all your help and I will still be hanging around here!
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
      08-19-2020, 04:25 AM   #10
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

The torque curve on the X3MC vs M40i is interesting. For the X3MC it’s barely lower at any revs vs the M40i. Either the higher torque after 3k makes the X3MC seem sluggish sub-3k or the X3MC has higher gearing. Does someone know if there are gearing differences, maybe the final drive ratio?
      09-15-2020, 03:59 AM   #11
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01

This settles it then for me. Appreciate the info. M40i it is. The next question is do I lease one or find a lightly used 2020, or wait even longer for a used 2021 with the shadowline option. Its a small detail but it looks so much better.
      09-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #12
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi folks,

I have an X3M (non comp)

1. The ride is slightly firmer in my opinion. However I did not have the adaptive dampers on my M40i albeit I did have the 718M 21's. As you are aware the X3M/X3MC is not mean't to be overly soft/cosseting as the dynamics for the vehicle have been turned up significantly which is to be expected.

2. I believe as a whole the X3M/X3MC is quieter than the 18-19 M40i I personally miss the aggressive/loud note of the M40i. That being said the M40i is pretty quiet in comfort mode. However in my experience when you get on the X3M it barks and makes it's presence known. Overall IMHO the tonal quality of the exhaust is more mature/refined. It has a deep v8 like idle, minus the ROAR on start up of the M40i - which I personally miss.

3. Gas mileage is a moot point if you are overly concerned about MPG you are looking at the wrong vehicle - full stop. To answer your question directly - it is not as good on gas as the M40i although I have not reached break-in yet I would say I am getting around 18- 20 MPG currently- rough estimate.

4. Why? Personally I think the vehicle makes all the right sounds.

You seemed to have some buyers remorse due to some of the inherent qualities of your M40i. You make compromises with ///M cars - there are quirks the brakes may squeak on occasion , it may idle rougher than normal at times, steering heavier, turning radius not as sharp, and yes to reiterate- the ride is going to be significantly firmer in some respects. Last but not least throttle modulation and acceleration are completely different. Be honest with yourself, take an extended test drive, take your regular passengers with you. Make a thorough assessment to determine if it works for you. X3M/X3MC may share the basic exterior body/shell and some interior components of the standard production G01 X3's but underneath they are completely different animals Good luck with your selection process
Attached Images

2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)

Last edited by car_fan; 09-15-2020 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 3
ando2002.00
      09-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #13
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
I have an X3M (non comp)

You seemed to have some buyers remorse due to some of the inherent qualities of your M40i. You make compromises with ///M cars - there are quirks the brakes may squeak on occasion , it may idle rougher than normal at times, steering heavier, turning radius not as sharp, and yes to reiterate- the ride is going to be significantly firmer in some respects. Last but not least throttle modulation and acceleration are completely different. Be honest with yourself, take an extended test drive, take your regular passengers with you. Make a thorough assessment to determine if it works for you. X3M/X3MC may share the basic exterior body/shell and some interior components of the standard production G01 X3's but underneath they are completely different animals Good luck with your selection process
This is very true. ///M cars are not for the average person. The market is much smaller because most buyers look at vehicles as transportation appliances and want comfort (not handling) as the primary feature.

What's really nice about the X3MC is it can be driven like a normal vehicle and then becomes a rabid animal when needed.

I agree the comfort mode could be more comfortable, but I enjoy driving the X3MC with a higher seating position and more tame around the town behavior.

But when I get on the gas I still say holy S&#%!!!

I'm sure others on the road around me say the same because it mostly looks like a regular X3
Appreciate 2
      09-15-2020, 01:58 PM   #14
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotcoop View Post
This settles it then for me. Appreciate the info. M40i it is. The next question is do I lease one or find a lightly used 2020, or wait even longer for a used 2021 with the shadowline option. Its a small detail but it looks so much better.

Check Swapalease as well. Great source for deals on BMW's.
Appreciate 1
Skotcoop269.00
      09-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #15
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
I have an X3M (non comp)

1. The ride is slightly firmer in my opinion. However I did not have the adaptive dampers on my M40i albeit I did have the 718M 21's. As you are aware the X3M/X3MC is not mean't to be overly soft/cosseting as the dynamics for the vehicle have been turned up significantly which is to be expected.

2. I believe as a whole the X3M/X3MC is quieter than the 18-19 M40i I personally miss the aggressive/loud note of the M40i. That being said the M40i is pretty quiet in comfort mode. However in my experience when you get on the X3M it barks and makes it's presence known. Overall IMHO the tonal quality of the exhaust is more mature/refined. It has a deep v8 like idle, minus the ROAR on start up of the M40i - which I personally miss.

3. Gas mileage is a moot point if you are overly concerned about MPG you are looking at the wrong vehicle - full stop. To answer your question directly - it is not as good on gas as the M40i although I have not reached break-in yet I would say I am getting around 18- 20 MPG currently- rough estimate.

4. Why? Personally I think the vehicle makes all the right sounds.

Thanks for your detailed feedback. I actually don't have buyer's remorse about my M40i. I've had it for 2 years now and the only thing I really don't like is the constant burbles and loud pops from the exhaust (I only drive in Sport and Sport Plus modes so it's there all the time). The X3M Comp didn't do that and I really liked the exhaust note.

After doing an an extended test drive of the X3M Comp, I decided it was not for me. You can see my post above.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #16
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Thanks for your detailed feedback. I actually don't have buyer's remorse about my M40i. I've had it for 2 years now and the only thing I really don't like is the constant burbles and loud pops from the exhaust (I only drive in Sport and Sport Plus modes so it's there all the time). The X3M Comp didn't do that and I really liked the exhaust note.

After doing an an extended test drive of the X3M Comp, I decided it was not for me. You can see my post above.
The pops and burbles I get from my X3MC in sport + are cool about 10% of the time.

I get why you would fee they are too much if they are more present on the M40i.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:33 PM   #17
Paul Stinger GT/M40i
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
Wiles summed ut up!

I traded in my M40i in March for an X3M comp. I had the adjustable suspension and I didn't notice a big difference between settings. I had a drop in K & N and the Dinan piggyback installed by the dealer for warranty. The B58 is a torque monster and I do miss that.

When I was breaking in the x3M I thought I made the wrong decsion. It has a lag off the line without using launch control but once it is going look out. I have relatively good roads in the NE burbs of ATL and in comfort it is tolerable for most people, I would say. When you switch you do notice a difference, especially in body roll or lack there of. There are no backfires like the M40i but with the active exhaust you can hear it more inside out out real sound. There is still probably piped in sounds but not like the M40i. I had an 18 with the better round dials and you could not control the active sound like in the later models I believe. I averaged 18mpg in the M40i and 14mpg in the Comp. I got easy 25mpg at 80 to 90mph with runs on trips up to 110mph wife starts to complain any higher. I do drive the piss out the Comp I regulary go 125mph and have hit 167. I didn't see if I could go faster had to exit. I don't have a chance to drive it a lot but recently I was trying to get the best MPG I could and was maybe 16mpg. I only have 2500 miles and of course had the 1200 mile break in service at 1100.

Wiles summed up perfectly about seats and the rest.

Last edited by Paul Stinger GT/M40i; 09-16-2020 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0