BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Autopilot not working?

08-15-2020, 05:51 AM   #1
billybarr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 yas marina

2020 X7 M50i, I was driving up the Westside Highway in traffic, tried my traffic jam assist for the first time. The cruise control works, but not the lane assist. The steering wheel and the green lines would not turn green. They just remained gray no matter what I did. Any speed I was at, comfort, sport, eco, anything I did the lane assist would just not engage. I have the pro assist. I 100% have the option, it just will not engage. Anybody have this problem? Is there a setting I'm missing? I've used this option every day in New York City traffic on my m5. New car new problem??
      08-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybarr View Post
2020 X7 M50i, I was driving up the Westside Highway in traffic, tried my traffic jam assist for the first time. The cruise control works, but not the lane assist. The steering wheel and the green lines would not turn green. They just remained gray no matter what I did. Any speed I was at, comfort, sport, eco, anything I did the lane assist would just not engage. I have the pro assist. I 100% have the option, it just will not engage. Anybody have this problem? Is there a setting I'm missing? I've used this option every day in New York City traffic on my m5. New car new problem??
Was the road newly paved without lines? I think it needs the lines to work. I had issue once on a newly paved road
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:39 AM   #3
billybarr
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, I've tried every road in the area since yesterday. This morning I went out and tried every local Street and Highway. It is just not engaging. I am at my dealer now getting the car washed, trying to get some info
      08-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
If all of the semi autonomous features are not working, it could be the KAFAS camera at the top, center of the windshield. However, the first step when a dealer usually troubleshoots a problem like this, if the diagnostics come back with nothing, is to update your software.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
billybarr
Private First Class
Rep

OK, I can't bring the car in until Tuesday. So we will see what happens. I will post an update thank you
      08-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Have you tried troubleshooting on local roads? To see if the system is recognizing lanes?

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
billybarr
Private First Class
Rep

Yes 100%. We tried a couple different settings and tried again with no luck. They're scanning the car now so we will probably know soon
      08-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybarr View Post
Have you tried rebooting iDrive by pressing and holding the volume button until the control screen goes dark? If that doesn't work you can also reboot the telematics by pressing and holding in the volume button in for about 2 minutes OR until the control screen reboots 3 times then release the volume button.

If neither of those suggestions fixes the problem it's time to visit your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #9
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

One question - did you go into the IDrive setting and ensure driver aids are turned on? Meaning, both Lane Assist box has been checked? If dealer did something, may have reset.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 05:34 PM   #10
billybarr
Private First Class
Rep

Problem diagnosed: center camera threw a fault code, the tech reset it, and it threw again. Dropping the car off Wednesday to have the camera replaced
      08-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #11
9uman9y
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Off-topic: Was testing the system last two days on X5. The Lane assist works OK in simple situations. However, in the night if the road is wet (reflections?) and upon exiting a tunnel into a daylight (camera overexposure for a short while), the system "looses" the road. Be careful.
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      08-15-2020, 09:40 PM   #12
NOVA99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M-B GLS 580

Maybe just simply drive and pay attention? I know you paid for it... l get it. Probably why every car I purchased the last 8 years I asked if the autonomy/acc/nannies etc. could be disabled. Fucking hate them all. Nothing will ever replace an experienced, engaged driver, with millions of miles on the clock and NOT looking at their phone. Unfortunately these people are a the anomaly on the road like me. You know people that pass on the left and drive on the right. Actually use a turn signal no matter what. Stop at red lights. Yeah that type shit.
Appreciate 2
Heimdall136.50
Wild Blue3683.50
      08-15-2020, 09:43 PM   #13
billybarr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA99 View Post
Maybe just simply drive and pay attention? I know you paid for it... l get it. Probably why every car I purchased the last 8 years I asked if the autonomy/acc/nannies etc. could be disabled. Fucking hate them all. Nothing will ever replace an experienced, engaged driver, with millions of miles on the clock and NOT looking at their phone. Unfortunately these people are a the anomaly on the road like me. You know people that pass on the left and drive on the right. Actually use a turn signal no matter what. Stop at red lights. Yeah that type shit.
Happy for you. I ride motorcycles, and race them at the track. So I am very conscious of turn signals, of other drivers, and NEVER drive in the left lane unless I'm passing. I highbeam drivers who have their lights off at night until they turn them on. I'm a very conscientious driver. And I sit in traffic on The Westside Highway five days a week, and I love, and appreciate my auto pilot. And all that shit
      08-15-2020, 10:08 PM   #14
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

This straw man that attempts to equate assisted driving technologies with poor drivers is ridiculous. Can you really not understand that someone can be an enthusiast, enjoy driving and be a highly skilled driver, and at the same time make use of assisted driving features in situations that otherwise aren’t enjoyable to drive in?

For example, I love to drive, and I especially love to drive quickly on fun roads. It’s the primary reason I choose BMWs. I’m an experienced and skilled driver, I have excellent lane discipline, I use my turn signals when I turn or change lanes, and I’ve managed to avoid accidents for the last 30 years. In circumstances where driving is less fun (heavy traffic, long stretches of boring interstate) I enjoy using the assisted driving features. I find that while I’m still paying close attention, it’s less tiring over a long stretch behind the wheel, and I generally arrive at my destination feeling less tired and more relaxed than I would have without those features.
Appreciate 2
jmciver1837.00
      08-16-2020, 12:00 AM   #15
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
Quote:

This straw man that attempts to equate assisted driving technologies with poor drivers is ridiculous. Can you really not understand that someone can be an enthusiast, enjoy driving and be a highly skilled driver, and at the same time make use of assisted driving features in situations that otherwise aren’t enjoyable to drive in?

For example, I love to drive, and I especially love to drive quickly on fun roads. It’s the primary reason I choose BMWs. I’m an experienced and skilled driver, I have excellent lane discipline, I use my turn signals when I turn or change lanes, and I’ve managed to avoid accidents for the last 30 years. In circumstances where driving is less fun (heavy traffic, long stretches of boring interstate) I enjoy using the assisted driving features. I find that while I’m still paying close attention, it’s less tiring over a long stretch behind the wheel, and I generally arrive at my destination feeling less tired and more relaxed than I would have without those features.
Amen. Let me tell you how nice semi-autonomous driving capabilities are coming back on I-70 from the mountains to Denver during the winter. Stop and go ... highway parking lot. They're worth their weight in gold.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 06:57 AM   #16
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
Quote:

This straw man that attempts to equate assisted driving technologies with poor drivers is ridiculous. Can you really not understand that someone can be an enthusiast, enjoy driving and be a highly skilled driver, and at the same time make use of assisted driving features in situations that otherwise aren't enjoyable to drive in?

For example, I love to drive, and I especially love to drive quickly on fun roads. It's the primary reason I choose BMWs. I'm an experienced and skilled driver, I have excellent lane discipline, I use my turn signals when I turn or change lanes, and I've managed to avoid accidents for the last 30 years. In circumstances where driving is less fun (heavy traffic, long stretches of boring interstate) I enjoy using the assisted driving features. I find that while I'm still paying close attention, it's less tiring over a long stretch behind the wheel, and I generally arrive at my destination feeling less tired and more relaxed than I would have without those features.
Amen. Let me tell you how nice semi-autonomous driving capabilities are coming back on I-70 from the mountains to Denver during the winter. Stop and go ... highway parking lot. They're worth their weight in gold.
Fully agree. I love driving but there are times on long trips it's relaxing to put the car in autonomous mode with my seat massager on and just relax my eyes for a bit. I'm still paying attention but I arrive much fresher and less tired at my destination. I don't mind the nannies at all and I'm a driver that's never gotten into an accident without them but I still appreciate them nevertheless.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #17
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Completely agree with the last few posts.. While not many, there still are several of us on the road today that are very conscientious drivers, yet enjoy the new tech - even if we may be a dying breed. One of the reasons I taught my teenage son how to drive a manual transmission before I let him get his license (his first car from me was a manual and still driving it today as he is getting ready to go off to college). And while learning to drive in my car (F80 M3 manual) and his mom's car (F25 X3), I made him turn off all of the "nannies" except for traction control. And finally, I sent him through a Street Survival course. So I am doing my part to help train the next generation, too....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #18
NOVA99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M-B GLS 580

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Completely agree with the last few posts.. While not many, there still are several of us on the road today that are very conscientious drivers, yet enjoy the new tech - even if we may be a dying breed. One of the reasons I taught my teenage son how to drive a manual transmission before I let him get his license (his first car from me was a manual and still driving it today as he is getting ready to go off to college). And while learning to drive in my car (F80 M3 manual) and his mom's car (F25 X3), I made him turn off all of the "nannies" except for traction control. And finally, I sent him through a Street Survival course. So I am doing my part to help train the next generation, too....
Obviously set off a nerve...good and my point was right on based on the retort. Before a dick measuring contest begins I won't go into the fact that I have every legal license on the highway to drive and their endorsements. And yeah motorcycle too. The problem with the nannies are that everyone becomes sheep and sits in the left lane because guess what...all the other nanny fucking cars are following each other. It's a problem. Just a fact. Oh and I can drive a manual too. A 3 stick Mack BTW when I was 14 but I will bet the moon no one here ever has. Hilarious shit.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #19
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Obviously set off a nerve...good and my point was right on based on the retort. Before a dick measuring contest begins I won't go into the fact that I have every legal license on the highway to drive and their endorsements. And yeah motorcycle too. The problem with the nannies are that everyone becomes sheep and sits in the left lane because guess what...all the other nanny fucking cars are following each other. It's a problem. Just a fact. Oh and I can drive a manual too. A 3 stick Mack BTW when I was 14 but I will bet the moon no one here ever has. Hilarious shit.
So to summarize, get off my lawn.
Appreciate 3
      08-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #20
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
wow, you're connecting a whole lot of dots in your head.

You're the expert, everybody else that uses technology doesn't know how to drive and sits in the left lane.

Alright buddy. Here's your cookie.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #21
billybarr
Private First Class
Rep

Update for everybody except NovaAsshole The Professional Licensee:

Replaced KAFAS camera, auto pilot worked for one day, next day stopped working again. Fuck BMW, getting sick of this shit
      08-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #22
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
how are you writing this post? I can't believe you are even on a computer... wouldn't you much rather type a letter on a typewriter and mail it in? I hope you don't drive a car with abs or traction control....hell I hope you don't even have a car that was built after 1960 because that would just go against everything you stand for.

I get it... you are old and don't want to get on with the changing times but do you have to be such a dick about it?

I think most of us here in this forum live to drive cars which is why we are on a forum about cars... but some of us still love the tech that comes in these cars. assisted driving helps so much and I would argue that it probably saves lives especially in longer drives as humans get tired and computers don't.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0