08-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

Weird incident today

Hi all -

My wife was just explaining the weird experience she had in our 2020 X7M50i this morning. It’s fully loaded with the exception of hitch, ambient air, and rear entertainment so, it has all the driver assist stuff.

She said she was driving on a residential street about 30 mph, without anyone around and all of the sudden the following started happening.

- Beeping of some sort sounded like it was coming from behind her
- a red car was displayed on the dash display; she said it took up the whole thing
- The car started shaking and jerking back and forth

After a short period of time, I’m guessing like 5-10 seconds, everything went back to normal and she continued home without any other issues.

Does anyone know what the heck happened? Has anyone experienced this? Just not sure if this is a one-off wacky thing or if there’s something more troubling going on. I’d like your expertise before I even think about calling the dealer on this one.

Thanks in advance!

John
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

That could have been a false collision alert. I have gotten those before if I am driving aggressive in a turn and there is a parked car or tree on the side of the road and the system thinks I am heading strait for it.

The only other explanation is if some one was coming up hard behind your X7 and the system was preparing for a rear end collision.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

I agree. It sounds like it could be the front collision mitigation, but just a guess. There's a bend in a road near my house that will sometimes set off the system when it sees a car parked in a particular position. It thinks I'm going to slam into the car.

Is it possible the shaking and jerking was the car automatically braking? Did the icon on the dash look like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
SRL311U
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, G07

I've had it happen as well. I especially encounter it when someone is parallel parked on the outside of a corner (generally in a neighborhood). The vehicle senses the other car and starts its collision mitigation.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I had this happen to me about a week ago. At the time I had the car about a week. I was just driving straight about 30 miles per hour with the radio on. No other cars were around and it just stopped abruptly (like flipping hard) and my head lunged forward giving me a little whiplash. Almost felt like I had been in a wreck. The vehicle actually didn't stop though but just slowed down a lot from the braking. There was a large icon of a sideways car outlined in red that was on the dash right in the middle and if I remember right there was audible beeps going on too...after about 4-5 seconds it all went away and was normal. Scared the crap out of me. Very unnerving to say the least. Just hope it doesn't happen again.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #6
bradythedog12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i, 2014 X6 50i

First of all. Thank you, everyone!!

and to huskerdoc2020... yes, yes, yes. That’s exactly what my wife was describing... including the sideways car on the dash.

Yes, let’s hope that it doesn’t happen again!

Thanks again!!

John
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #7
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

It would be helpful if we knew what iStep version everyone is on so we can track and identify whether or not the issue gets better or worse with new updates.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #8
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
I had this happen to me about a week ago. At the time I had the car about a week. I was just driving straight about 30 miles per hour with the radio on. No other cars were around and it just stopped abruptly (like flipping hard) and my head lunged forward giving me a little whiplash. Almost felt like I had been in a wreck. The vehicle actually didn't stop though but just slowed down a lot from the braking. There was a large icon of a sideways car outlined in red that was on the dash right in the middle and if I remember right there was audible beeps going on too...after about 4-5 seconds it all went away and was normal. Scared the crap out of me. Very unnerving to say the least. Just hope it doesn't happen again.
Crazy! Nothing like this has happened to me in the 4K miles I've driven the car, but would love to know more. Did you talk to BMW about your experience?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #9
Rublezz
Private First Class
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

That`s why I didn`t added any assistant except parking. Such surprise on highway can be very dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #10
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Sounds scary. I presume you can turn off front collision mitigation?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

High speed collision avoidance and evasion assistance may have saved our families lives on a trip.
I may have been the first with the G05 to have this function work in a real world accident. The advanced safety features are no joke. It is next level protection.

Story here:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1580609
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #12
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradythedog12 View Post
Hi all -

My wife was just explaining the weird experience she had in our 2020 X7M50i this morning. It’s fully loaded with the exception of hitch, ambient air, and rear entertainment so, it has all the driver assist stuff.

She said she was driving on a residential street about 30 mph, without anyone around and all of the sudden the following started happening.

- Beeping of some sort sounded like it was coming from behind her
- a red car was displayed on the dash display; she said it took up the whole thing
- The car started shaking and jerking back and forth

After a short period of time, I’m guessing like 5-10 seconds, everything went back to normal and she continued home without any other issues.

Does anyone know what the heck happened? Has anyone experienced this? Just not sure if this is a one-off wacky thing or if there’s something more troubling going on. I’d like your expertise before I even think about calling the dealer on this one.

Thanks in advance!

John
The red car on the display, beeping, and vibrating is cross collision alert. If the car senses another vehicle potentially crossing your path creating a t-bone accident, that is the warning.

Maybe somebody was backing out of a driveway or approaching an intersection and the car thought it wasn't going to stop?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 08:36 PM   #13
jcarlilesiu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
I agree. It sounds like it could be the front collision mitigation, but just a guess. There's a bend in a road near my house that will sometimes set off the system when it sees a car parked in a particular position. It thinks I'm going to slam into the car.

Is it possible the shaking and jerking was the car automatically braking? Did the icon on the dash look like this?
That is a different symbol than the cross traffic collision mitigation. It doesn't show the back of the car like that. Agreed, sometimes my car sees a parked car on a curve and it throws that alert.

The symbol that the car shows for cross traffic collision is a side profile image. And it is huge.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #14
Wanderer73
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post

That is a different symbol than the cross traffic collision mitigation. It doesn't show the back of the car like that. Agreed, sometimes my car sees a parked car on a curve and it throws that alert.

The symbol that the car shows for cross traffic collision is a side profile image. And it is huge.
Agreed. His wife had that experience for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #15
Frinckster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw x3, BMW X7 Individual

I had this sideway car warning in my HUD. I noticed it when there was a car joining in my lane and the steering wheel vibrate and this huge red car outline in my HUD appeared. This happeend to me when I guess I was driving above 30mph and the other car accelerated in the merge lane. the car was thinking there is a collision on the side.