BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum No Drill Front License Plate Mount

08-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

No Drill Front License Plate Mount

Has anybody tried this No Drill Front License Plate holder/mount? Trying to get feedback on this before I purchase. I don't plan on on installing my front plate, but I want to use this, in case I get a "fix it" ticket and I have to show the state police that I installed my front plate.

https://carbonio.com/products/bmw-x7...se-plate-mount
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Just ordered one of these for my Cayenne. Haven't mounted it yet. https://www.slybrackets.com/store/
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Following. I'm in the same spot, would be nice to have a backup in case I do get pulled over.

Not sure where you are but here in (northern) California, although required, many drive without them. Especially Tesla's seem to be the big offenders, probably because they don't provide one at delivery. My X7 didn't come with one and I'm I really glad it didn't. Curious how long I will be able to ride without
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Just ordered one of these for my Cayenne. Haven't mounted it yet. https://www.slybrackets.com/store/
Looks like these may need to some sort of modification to fit on X7. From their "compatibility list":

2020 BMW X7 SLATS – NEED SHORTER MOUNT DUE TO ACTIVE SHUTTER
2020 BMW X7 SLATS – REQUIRES MODIFICATION
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbad View Post
Quote:
Looks like these may need to some sort of modification to fit on X7. From their "compatibility list":

Yea I noticed. The ones I am looking at are designed fir the X7. They even have an option for the X7s with and without driver assist.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Following. I'm in the same spot, would be nice to have a backup in case I do get pulled over.

Not sure where you are but here in (northern) California, although required, many drive without them. Especially Tesla's seem to be the big offenders, probably because they don't provide one at delivery. My X7 didn't come with one and I'm I really glad it didn't. Curious how long I will be able to ride without
I am in Maryland. Mee too friend has a MB convertible and he doesn't have a front plate. He is going on 3 years and he has not been pulled over for this yet. I am going to take a chance.

Your front plate bracket is probably under the cover in the cargo compartment. I thought that mine didn't come with one but I found it there along with the cargo net and the 2nd row headrest pillows
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:50 PM   #7
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Quote:

That still could be wrong, those are user submitted comments and someone was claiming there are active shutters on the 9Y0 Cayenne and it didn't work, there aren't active shutters on the Cayenne. You could email and verify, or look at this front tow hook mount one from CravenSpeed. I put in a 2020 X7 as the vehicle: https://www.cravenspeed.com/2020-21/
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 08:31 PM   #8
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider View Post
Quote:

I am in Maryland. Mee too friend has a MB convertible and he doesn't have a front plate. He is going on 3 years and he has not been pulled over for this yet. I am going to take a chance.

Your front plate bracket is probably under the cover in the cargo compartment. I thought that mine didn't come with one but I found it there along with the cargo net and the 2nd row headrest pillows
You're not kidding, there's a whole bunch of goodies in there I had no idea came with the car! Thanks!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:04 PM   #9
Skyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're not kidding, there's a whole bunch of goodies in there I had no idea came with the car! Thanks!!
Anytime! Glad I could help.
Appreciate 1
Tinbad141.00
      08-15-2020, 04:55 AM   #10
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wait.... so what have you been using in your ambient air holder if the fragrances seem to still be in the box
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #11
Tinbad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wait.... so what have you been using in your ambient air holder if the fragrances seem to still be in the box
I thought the dealership forgot to include them or that BMW cheaper out and I had to order them myself...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
XPRSAV8R
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

I spent almost a month investigating and ordering different options to mitigate drilling into my bumper. In the end, the simplest and cheapest option was to simply use velcro. You place two strips horizontally along the backside (will support a chrome frame, too) and voila!

I had ordered everything from $30-70 options off of Amazon. The velcro strip was $1 at the local, dollar store. This has held up doing 70+ MPH over 200 miles. I have over 1000 miles, now, with numerous carwashes and the solution still holds strong.

Just an option for those trying to avoid over-engineering the solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:00 PM   #13
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:

I am in MN and marking full year without.

I had Maserati and did not put front plate, one day I was pulled over for let's call it "dynamic driving", and no front plate, hmmm I ended up with verbal warning so I do not think cups care I have drove many times behind police car, stand on lights etc and never was pulled for this.

Therefore let's relax 🤪
Appreciate 1
Tinbad141.00
      08-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #14
AlwaysColdinMN
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
Quote:

I am in MN and marking full year without.

I had Maserati and did not put front plate, one day I was pulled over for let's call it "dynamic driving", and no front plate, hmmm I ended up with verbal warning so I do not think cups care I have drove many times behind police car, stand on lights etc and never was pulled for this.

Therefore let's relax 🤪
This makes me very happy to read. I'm in MN, too. Just got my X7 last weekend and I'm not planning on putting front plates on. I've heard mixed reports on whether police care. I'm gonna see how it goes. If I have to pay a fine once or twice a year, I'm cool with that if it keeps me from drilling the front bumper.
Appreciate 0