E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > car shaking when i start it.

08-11-2020, 07:26 PM   #1
pete.rex
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 09

car shaking when i start it.

so i drove to my parents house which is a ten minute drive. nothing wrong on start up or during the drive. i stop at my parents for fifteen minutes get in the car and try to start it and nothing. had power and everything. thought it might be the starter so i went to auto zone bought a new starter and called a mobile mechanic to install the new starter. walla the car turns on after install, but when i got in it was shaking violently for 10 seconds and the idle was going down, after the ten seconds it would just stop shaking and idle would go back to normal. this happens everytime i was starting it up after the new starter which wasnt happening before. i called the mobile mechanic and told him, because im thinking there might be something loose when he was reinstalling it. he fought me on it telling me he put everything back properly. he put diagnostic obd and said that 3 oof my cylinders were misfiring. i dont understand how thats possible because it literally didnt do that till after the install. any advice would be helpful.
bmw 328i 09 85,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Bump, since this is falling off the front page....

Did the mechanic check the codes before installing the starter? The car may not have started due to a bad crankshaft sensor, which I had awhile ago. I think that could also cause the misfires, although it does seem odd that the car would not start, and after the starter replacement, it did start. Good luck!
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
pete.rex
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by triax37 View Post

Did the mechanic check the codes before installing the starter? The car may not have started due to a bad crankshaft sensor, which I had awhile ago. I think that could also cause the misfires, although it does seem odd that the car would not start, and after the starter replacement, it did start. Good luck!
Quote:

No he did not check any codes before installing the starter. He just tried to turn it on and started changing the starter. He did run some codes after the installation when I pressed the issue that is wasn't misfiring before the installation. One of the codes was something like needs more oil. If it was the crankshaft sensor wouldn't it still not start even after installing the new starter
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

By any chance did the accessory belt break before this happened?
Has this guy worked on this type of car before?
Was he a mobile BMW mechanic?

Did he put in a new manifold gasket and and make sure all the hoses
were not broken.
Unfortunately a lot of stuff has to come of an go back on properly and
those hoses can be fragile.

Last edited by ctuna; 08-13-2020 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #5
pete.rex
Rep

Nothing broke before it happened. The starter literally just died without warning. He was a bmw mobile mechanic. And no he did not replace any gaskets or hoses. Thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Manifold Gasket should be replaced at a minimum if it was off.
what was his lowball price?
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #7
pete.rex
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
He charged me 370 for the labor only. Took him an hour. I tried to go lower since I bought the starter myself but he wouldn't go for it and my car was in a bad spot that I couldn't leave for a couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #8
pete.rex
Rep

Quote:
Your info is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #9
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Quote:
were not broken.
I bet it's a manifold gasket or other hose that isn't installed correctly. ctuna's response reminded me of when I did the crankshaft sensor, and it's very true that a lot of stuff comes off. It would be pretty easy to pinch a manifold gasket.

I have nothing against mobile mechanics, and used a locally-known BMW expert for my valve cover gasket. It started roughly for a week, until I saw the gasket was not seated correctly. He came back and redid it, no cost, and the car has run well for the past 2 years. People make mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete.rex View Post
... get in the car [warm engine which had been off ONLY ~ 15 minutes] and try to start it and nothing. had power and everything. thought it might be the starter so i went to auto zone bought a new starter and called a mobile mechanic to install the new starter. walla the car turns on after install, but when i got in it was shaking violently for 10 seconds and the idle was going down, after the ten seconds it would just stop shaking and idle would go back to normal. this happens everytime i was starting it up after the new starter which wasnt happening before...bmw 328i 09 85,000 miles.
QUESTIONS:

1) Did you observe WHAT he removed to access the Starter Motor?
2) Did he remove the INTAKE Manifold?
3) I understand that he did NOT replace any Hoses or Gaskets?
4) What specific codes were read, or what specific cylinders "misfired"?
5) Has your SES light come on during any rough running with "misfire" and then gone out after normal smooth idle returns?
6) Can you get Advance Auto, Autozone, etc. to read any codes NOW saved in the DME (Engine Control Module) Memory? Please report code numbers.
7) Does the Rough idle happen EVERY time you start the engine, no matter whether engine is cold, warm, or hot?
8) Have you tried disconnect the MAF Sensor Connector and starting the Engine to see if any difference? That WILL cause SES to light and save a Fault Code related to MAF Sensor signal in DME Memory, but if the cause of your Rough Idle is a vacuum leak, the idle should be noticeably BETTER.

As others have suggested, the most likely cause of the Rough idle immediately after Startup is a vacuum leak due to air that has NOT been measured/ metered by the MAF Sensor entering the Engine/ Intake, causing Lean running. That CAN cause misfire codes and/or OTHER codes such as Bank 1 or Bank 2 Too Lean.

With Answers to questions above, we can suggest "Next Steps".

George
Appreciate 1
Buug95917570.00
      08-13-2020, 10:01 PM   #11
pete.rex
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
were not broken.
I bet it's a manifold gasket or other hose that isn't installed correctly. ctuna's response reminded me of when I did the crankshaft sensor, and it's very true that a lot of stuff comes off. It would be pretty easy to pinch a manifold gasket.

I have nothing against mobile mechanics, and used a locally-known BMW expert for my valve cover gasket. It started roughly for a week, until I saw the gasket was not seated correctly. He came back and redid it, no cost, and the car has run well for the past 2 years. People make mistakes.
I get people make mistakes. What upset me is that he didn't event want to take a look. Like I took your money and I'm out. I would have went to a bmw mechanic if it wasn't far. Car wasn't starting so I probably would have paid the same with getting a tow truck. I'll check the gaskets. Thanx.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 10:14 PM   #12
pete.rex
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
... get in the car [warm engine which had been off ONLY ~ 15 minutes] and try to start it and nothing. had power and everything. thought it might be the starter so i went to auto zone bought a new starter and called a mobile mechanic to install the new starter. walla the car turns on after install, but when i got in it was shaking violently for 10 seconds and the idle was going down, after the ten seconds it would just stop shaking and idle would go back to normal. this happens everytime i was starting it up after the new starter which wasnt happening before...bmw 328i 09 85,000 miles.
QUESTIONS:

5) Has your SES light come on during any rough running with "misfire" and then gone out after normal smooth idle returns?
6) Can you get Advance Auto, Autozone, etc. to read any codes NOW saved in the DME (Engine Control Module) Memory? Please report code numbers.
7) Does the Rough idle happen EVERY time you start the engine, no matter whether engine is cold, warm, or hot?
8) Have you tried disconnect the MAF Sensor Connector and starting the Engine to see if any difference? That WILL cause SES to light and save a Fault Code related to MAF Sensor signal in DME Memory, but if the cause of your Rough Idle is a vacuum leak, the idle should be noticeably BETTER.

As others have suggested, the most likely cause of the Rough idle immediately after Startup is a vacuum leak due to air that has NOT been measured/ metered by the MAF Sensor entering the Engine/ Intake, causing Lean running. That CAN cause misfire codes and/or OTHER codes such as Bank 1 or Bank 2 Too Lean.

George
He removed the manifold.

Did not replace any gaskets or hoses.

He removed the fuel pump and everything underneath to access the starter.

I can give you the codes Tom that I received from him after he did the diagnostic after installing the starter.

Tom I'll attempt starting after disconnecting the sensor. Before that I will test first cold start. So far it would shake after every warm start but idle perfectly after ten seconds. There is a check engine light now after the starter was installed which was not their prior. I don't remember if it disappears after good idle. Will also check tom. I will also go to autozone and see what codes they bring up.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 05:01 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

He did a starter on an 85,000-mile N52 in an E90 in an hour? The engine doesn't run correctly now? And the mechanic DOESN'T think he screwed something up?

He probably broke the CCV hose from the valve cover. Does the engine sound different when running? Have you simply checked to see if the oil fill cap is fully closed? If it was fully closed, then get the engine started and past the rough idle. Then open the oil fill cap and see if the idle changes. That test checks to see if there is a vacuum leak and the ECU is compensating for the leak.

The illuminated SES icon is telling you there are codes present when the engine is running. It's possible some of the spark plugs are aged and beginning to fail. At 85,000 miles, do you know if they have been recently changed? The '09 N52 has a 100,000 mile spark plugs interval. It's possible some of the plugs are going early and it is just coincidental the starter died now. But if the SES light was not on before the starter repair, it's doubtful.

I still don't believe a mobile mechanic can replace a starter on an N52 in an hour.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-14-2020 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #14
pete.rex
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
He did a starter on an 85,000-mile N52 in an E90 in an hour? The engine doesn't run correctly now? And the mechanic DOESN'T think he screwed something up?

He probably broke the CCV hose from the valve cover. Does the engine sound different when running? Have you simply checked to see if the oil fill cap is fully closed? If it was fully closed, then get the engine started and past the rough idle. Then open the oil fill cap and see if the idle changes. That test checks to see if there is a vacuum leak and the ECU is compensating for the leak.

The illuminated SES icon is telling you there are codes present when the engine is running. It's possible some of the spark plugs are aged and beginning to fail. At 85,000 miles, do you know if they have been recently changed? The '09 N52 has a 100,000 mile spark plugs interval. It's possible some of the plugs are going early and it is just coincidental the starter died now. But if the SES light was not on before the starter repair, it's doubtful.

I still don't believe a mobile mechanic can replace a starter on an N52 in an hour.
I've had the car since 45000 miles and I've only changed one or two spark plugs. So it's possible. Today I'm going to do all the test and might change the spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #15
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Coupe

Quote:
I've had the car since 45000 miles and I've only changed one or two spark plugs. So it's possible. Today I'm going to do all the test and might change the spark plugs.
Since you are in NY, you may have an N51 car. In that case BMW should cover some parts including spark plugs. If you know you have an N52- disregard
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #16
pete.rex
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

I might have exaggerated. More like hour and a half. I will do all test you informed me on later today. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #17
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Fuel Pump is in the Gas Tank if you have an e9x or even an e46
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #18
pete.rex
Rep

Quote:
Fuel Pump is in the Gas Tank if you have an e9x or even an e46
That was a mistake. Didn't mean to write fuel pump
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #19
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

You need diagnostics and tools to go further.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #20
pete.rex
Rep

Quote:
You need diagnostics and tools to go further.
The codes I have are 29cf and 29cd 29ce
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #21
pete.rex
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
QUESTIONS:

George
The codes I'm getting is 29cd and 29cf and 29ce
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #22
cparke
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i N52

Those codes are for misfires on cylinders 1, 2, and 3 (the entire bank 1). My guess is he forgot to plug something in when reconnecting, like the throttle body (which I actually forgot too). Still, I'd expect more codes than just misfires. Hoping he didn't break something and cause a vacuum leak in the crankcase ventilation system or electrical connection to the fuel injectors. 1 hour was pretty quick to do this job, I'd say something was probably missed.

Last edited by cparke; 08-14-2020 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0