BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Brand New Faulty X7 M50i Battery, Software Glitches and Compressor K.O.

08-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
quiquemata
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Angry Brand New Faulty X7 M50i Battery, Software Glitches and Compressor K.O.

Hi everyone, if you are reading this post is just because I would really appreciate some feedback and advice. I spend a lot of money on my dream car, and I had it for less than 36 hours, the rest (close to 3 weeks, its back a the dealers' repair center).

I'm scared and concerned my car might be (a) a Lemon (b) Unsafe or Unreliable. Here is the story as summarized as I can:
-- Demoed the car at the BMW Pompano beach dealer, when we demoed the car. Since then I noticed a battery warning on the dashboard; I was assured by the people at the dealership that it was because the car had been in the showroom, "demo mode" and that I shouldn't worried a bout it.
-- After much back and forth and finally agreeing on the deal, we couldnt close on it on saturday, so they invited me to come back on sunday (based on them insising), when I finally got the car it was around 5pm everyone was eagger to leave same battery warning, they asked me to come back, quick and easy thing to solve accordint to them.

--- I was back 36+ hours later, the "quick fix" turned into "I dont know and I need a day", might be electrical, finally I got the car delivered into my home on friday, they failed to provide explanations, where vaugue on the issue, just that they replaced the battery becuase it would have "died" soon, I was told (they didnt want to replace the battery at the beggining)...

-- During the car delivery for some reason and upon purchase delivery they didn't updated the software (there was a pending update), the person that delivered the car updated the software from my home, with me there and the system just went crazy after the update:

A. Warnings regarding the sensing system and cameras
B. Warnings regarding the lightning of the car
C. 3rd row seats working funny
D. The entire A/C system completely collapsed! Just warm and hot air comming out....

The person told me that it had happened because the software was updated remotely, he apologized and took the car back to the dealer, to BMW VISTA POMPANO BEACH. Its been there since,

I have been told that they need a new compresor and A/C from the system and so far, explanations have been few, even though I have asked for them, ETA on parts of the compressor btw 7 to 14 more days... Visited the dealer on the weekend because I needed my son's booster seat from that car, they had it covered in bird crap, beside what it looked like a dumpster infront of the shop, completley covered with dirt and spots, etc.... But getting to my question and point is this:

A. For me it seems weird how can a car, that is BMW's Flagship SUV, that supposedly passed QC, Quality assurance, etc, etc. Can have (1) A faulty battery from the get go. (2) how can a software update cause a HARDWARE TO DAMAGE THE A/C Compressor, that is so weird, because software issues sholdn't damage hardware issues unless something is really really wrong with the car or the electrical system.

BMW NA, took my call, still waiting for an answerr from them, Still not technical explination on what happened, why it happened, I feel they are looking at it as independent incidents when they are not.

Please let me know what would you do if you where in my shoes? What questions would you ask? How would you deal with this? Should I lawyer up? How does a dealer can give a faulty car right out of the dealership to a client, and fool on my for driving away on it and resting assured based on their explanations of the battery light? I'm not an expert but I do think that all is related, and seems to be pointing out at the electrical system, the other theory is how maybe the dealer handled the battery and recharded that battery when it was in the show room or when they tried reparing it instead of replacing it, if they did something that caused the rest. How does a software update busts a compressor?

There are more issues with the dealer, pre-sale, post sale just horrible overall, but thats not the focus and purpose for me on this post...

Please help/advice
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

I recently took delivery of an X6 M50i for my wife and the AC crapped the bed the first week. The dealer had it a week and replaced the compressor and condenser. When they returned it, the inside was spattered with sanitizer spray. They just move iron and see cars differently than enthusiasts do. Other than that, the only glitch was a message came up on the screen that said "The vehicle will be turned off shortly. To continue using functions, please start the engine." Not very cool when you are tooling down the highway. Also the kick to open the tailgate works about 25% of the time. I don't know if that is a flaw or if I'm doing something wrong.

However, I do like the car and ordered an X7 M50i for myself. I don't think other brands are any better. I had the AC quit on a new AMG a mile from the dealer.
Appreciate 2
      08-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

The faulty battery is a common issue for cars that have been sitting in dealership across all manufacturers. They should of replaced the battery from the beginning instead of putting on what I am guessing is a trickle charger and giving it back to you.

I am not sure that the vehicle is a lemon yet.

Sometimes you just get a bad car. This is what it seems like but none of these problems seem unsolvable. Replace the head unit with a new one and update the software. Replace the AC compressor and you should be good to go. Too bad the parts are taking forever to arrive...
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Unfortunate, but it seems to be more dealer + showroom floor car related than anything else. I would reiterate what fkim119
and 812Superfast both said regarding the battery and AC issues. Overall, it sucks, it's disappointing, and with better handling on the dealer's end you could have felt a lot better.

The car is probably safer outside covered with bird crap than it was inside with children crawling around it and recon staff swirling the crap out of the paint on a nightly basis. I'm lucky enough to have an amazing SA at my local/servicing dealer that will often lock my M car in a delivery bay before and after it's worked on because he knows how I treat the car myself (I don't care as much about the X7, but with the M I wouldn't let them wash it for the first year or so). I don't even purchase my cars at this specific dealer and they always go above and beyond.
      08-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

The AC is actually a known issue across BMW V8's. The X5 and 8–series forums have a few threads going on where people either have intermittent AC or no AC completely, requires compressor and a few other parts and some dealers have 20+ vehicles in line and parts are on back order.

Good luck OP and make sure to read up on lemon laws if you decide to pursue.
      08-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
kyoshozx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I had the same issue with the battery when picking up the car, the dealership swapped battery. Then the next day realized AC wasn't working. Long story short, dealer said it was the compressor and it was back ordered. Finally replaced the compressor and the issue was not resolved. Car has been at the dealership for over a month and still no resolution in sight.

Just opened a case with BMWNA.