THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 228i Strange noises after replacing clutch.

07-26-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
morriscat
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F22

228i Strange noises after replacing clutch.

I have a 2016 228i with a 6MT that I've had since January. I bought it hoping the low mileage of 16k meant 'gently used' but it quickly turned out it meant 'incompetently used' because the clutch failed almost immediately forcing a replacement of both the clutch and the flywheel which I had done by the dealership down the street. It's been a week and now I'm hearing this very strange creaking/squeaking/grinding noise.

Noise occurs when accelerating briskly in medium gears, e.g put your foot down at 40mph in third gear. Sound rises in pitch and goes away when the revs get above 4-5k.

It also sounds like it's coming from behind me but I can't tell if it's far enough back to be the diff or something.

I'm going to give the dealership a call tomorrow morning regardless but after almost two hundred thousand miles in MT cars this is the first time I've had a clutch fail, as well as my first BMW, so I'm not sure what's normal or how to know if the dealership is feeding me a line of crap.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

is the clutch fully engaged and the pedal completely released when you hear the noise - do you hear any noise when you have the car in neutral ( clutch pedal fully depressed and clutch pedal fully released ) and rev the engine into the range where the noise occurs ?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
morriscat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
is the clutch fully engaged and the pedal completely released when you hear the noise - do you hear any noise when you have the car in neutral ( clutch pedal fully depressed and clutch pedal fully released ) and rev the engine into the range where the noise occurs ?
Noise only occurs when the clutch is fully engaged, in fact I don't even need to shift to make it happen. Stepping on the gas at low revs will do it every time. No noise in neutral at all.

I'm worried this is another abused part that wasn't getting enough torque to cause problems until the bad clutch got replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscat View Post
Noise only occurs when the clutch is fully engaged, in fact I don't even need to shift to make it happen. Stepping on the gas at low revs will do it every time. No noise in neutral at all.

I'm worried this is another abused part that wasn't getting enough torque to cause problems until the bad clutch got replaced.
you can only guess at this point
it might just be a bolt that wasn't fully tightened
some people ride the clutch and so the clutch friction surfaces go bad quickly and really its not that abusive.

Im not that familiar with the 2 -series but sometimes with flex disc on driveshaft and dropping exhaust for a clutch change it's easy to get a small item that needs to be handled on follow-up.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
morriscat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Im not that familiar with the 2 -series but sometimes with flex disc on driveshaft and dropping exhaust for a clutch change it's easy to get a small item that needs to be handled on follow-up.
The dealership thinks it's a heat shield rubbing on the driveshaft when it flexes under load, which makes sense given that it does sound more like thin metal rattling rather than thick metal grinding on something, but we'll see.

If that IS what it is, it's going to leave me a bit concerned with the attention to detail at that shop though, and I may not take my car there anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #6
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

I have seen them leave 2 dozen things unsecured after an install like this, literally anything could be causing the noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscat View Post
The dealership thinks it's a heat shield rubbing on the driveshaft when it flexes under load, which makes sense given that it does sound more like thin metal rattling rather than thick metal grinding on something, but we'll see.

If that IS what it is, it's going to leave me a bit concerned with the attention to detail at that shop though, and I may not take my car there anymore.
About attention to detail.
A loose bolt on a heat shield is very minor. These days a test drive by a mechanic after a repair sometimes has customers complaining. So shops try to get cars back to customers as soon as possible with fewest amount of miles accumulated.

And there are so many minor bolts that get tightened on a job like these.
If it is just a loose bolt, I personally wouldn’t be concerned about quality of work.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
morriscat
Private
Rep

Quote:
And there are so many minor bolts that get tightened on a job like these.
If it is just a loose bolt, I personally wouldn’t be concerned about quality of work.
I mean, yeah. The heat shield on my Subaru was rattling a couple years ago and I just zip-tied it in place, but it's different when a car has a quarter million miles on it.

As far as the BMW goes, it turns out instead of a loose bolt, it was a broken plastic clip that holds the parking brake line in place, and that was rubbing on the driveshaft under acceleration.

I mean, mostly I'm just happy it's not the diff or something serious, but what's funny is that he had to ORDER new clips, so it's going to wind up in the shop for two days just for that.
Appreciate 0