Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

07-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #1
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
I hope the i4 can compete with Tesla and Polestar

My hope is that BMWi will bring Tesla Motors some serious competition

BMWi is not really being as serious as I'd hoped they'd be

What are your thoughts on this subject ?
Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5849.00
JustChris17423.00
      07-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #2
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
My hope is that BMWi will bring Tesla some serious competition
I'm afraid nothing will.
You can hear a lot about the misery at BMW on German YouTube channels.

Meanwhile, the new Polestar 2 is being benevolently discussed here. The smart Chinese...
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
clee1982796.00
///M TOWN13117.00
      07-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Cannot wait for a Tesla alternative featuring a more securely attached bumpers without the risk of unexpected detachment.
Appreciate 5
///M TOWN13117.00
Swappy531.50
M3 boi3211.00
      07-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I'm afraid nothing will.

Meanwhile, the new Polestar 2 is being benevolently discussed here. The smart Chinese...
what sort of misery?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      07-22-2020, 08:53 PM   #5
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Cannot wait for a Tesla alternative featuring a more securely attached bumpers without the risk of unexpected detachment.

Yeah that's insane

Tesla's answer... An act of God!
      07-22-2020, 09:06 PM   #6
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I'm afraid nothing will.

The Polestar 2 will do well but CCS is their limitation

And they will not touch Tesla Performance

I thought they would really try

I was wrong
      07-22-2020, 11:32 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
The Polestar 2 will do well but CCS is their limitation

And they will not touch Tesla Performance

I thought they would really try

I was wrong
I don’t need Tesla performance for what will be our “family car”. With our usage, likely charging in the garage at home overnight every couple of weeks, I will be glad to go to Polestar if BMW gets crazy on pricing. Early online video reviews of Polestar 2 are quite promising and the one motor non-loaded-launch model supposedly will start in the $40s in 2021.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 12:39 AM   #8
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I don't need Tesla performance for what will be our "family car". With our usage, likely charging in the garage at home overnight every couple of weeks, I will be glad to go to Polestar if BMW gets crazy on pricing. Early online video reviews of Polestar 2 are quite promising and the one motor non-loaded-launch model supposedly will start in the $40s in 2021.
Polestar 2 launch car will be the AWD model... The 2WD model will follow later

IF it leases out well it will grab many customers like yourself

It's a great fully ground up battery electric car

I will have my hands on one shortly

I look forward to driving it
      07-23-2020, 01:45 AM   #9
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Polestar 2 launch car will be the AWD model... The 2WD model will follow later

IF it leases out well it will grab many customers like yourself

It's a great fully ground up battery electric car

I will have my hands on one shortly

I look forward to driving it
Here in the U.K. with almost all options the Polestar 2 is about £640 a month.

No deposit
No Service Costs
That's an all in cost

That's pretty decent really but is on a par maybe with M2 money, and certainly great spec B58 cars.

It will be interesting to see these new leasing models cork through. Again here Land Rover have started one where you change car every 6 months ... but it's £750 a month for entry cars like Evoque and Defender Sport. That includes insurance and toad tax this time.

I wonder if the i4 will come to market differently too with more of an all in cost. I doubt it but let's see. Each market likely very different too.

Also no bright blue bits please BMW you're still doing this on the ix3.
      07-23-2020, 01:49 AM   #10
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

No deposit
No Service Costs
That's an all in cost

That's pretty decent really but is on a par maybe with M2 money, and certainly great spec B58 cars.

It will be interesting to see these new leasing models cork through. Again here Land Rover have started one where you change car every 6 months ... but it's £750 a month for entry cars like Evoque and Defender Sport. That includes insurance and toad tax this time.

I wonder if the i4 will come to market differently too with more of an all in cost. I doubt it but let's see. Each market likely very different too.

Yes indeed

Only lease it Christopher

Otherwise you will not own the car the car will own you
      07-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #11
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
If BMW can build the i4 to typical BMW fit and finish, it might have a chance against Tesla.

I test drove a Tesla that cost $80K with the fit and finish of a Chevy Beretta. I especially remember the optically distorted front windshield.

Tesla has the powertrain to beat but build quality is awful.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      07-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
If BMW can build the i4 to typical BMW fit and finish, it might have a chance against Tesla.

I test drove a Tesla that cost $80K with the fit and finish of a Chevy Beretta. I especially remember the optically distorted front windshield.

Tesla has the powertrain to beat but build quality is awful.
I agree 100%

The windshield you're described is a safety issue as well as completely ridiculous
      07-23-2020, 12:06 PM   #13
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

No deposit
No Service Costs
That's an all in cost

In the US there is $7500 federal money that can be baked into the lease

That lease payment is to high for me to bite

I see no figures on their website

Not sure why
      07-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #14
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
I do also. Early reviews of the Polestar look promising and the performance is nothing to sneeze at either. I watched a video where a Model 3 owner would pick the Polestar over his Tesla.

There are a couple of things regarding any of the Tesla competitors that are important to me. Range and battery life.

While the new entries have the fit and finish part down (Tesla is improving in that area), they are pretty much starting at square 1 with the parts that make their vehicles go.

Tesla is developing better and longer range batteries while other are buying whatever they get off the shelf.

I'm really hoping the i4 is a car that ticks all the right boxes and doesn't have any birthing problems. At this point too little is known about their battery technology and its lifespan to fully buy into the car.

As far as appearance and appointments, IMO the i4 wins hands down vs. the competition.

Seems like the real Tesla contenders have a range a bit south of 300 miles (exception being the i4 which appears to match the Model 3 RL). With Tesla's "Battery Day" still TBA, chances are we may see that gap widening and battery life increasing.

Time will tell...........................
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      07-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #15
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
i4M all electrified M car is coming soon based on SCOTT. i4 fits well within the timeframe.

Quality wise there is no comparison between BMW/Porsche EV and Tesla, e.g. seat, body panel alignment, paint quality, craftsmanship, just name a few, those are obvious issues, let alone something less obvious. Not to mention all the toxic rare earth materials used in Tesla, the health issues.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      07-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #16
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Quote:
I do also. Early reviews of the Polestar look promising and the performance is nothing to sneeze at either. I watched a video where a Model 3 owner would pick the Polestar over his Tesla.

There are a couple of things regarding any of the Tesla competitors that are important to me. Range and battery life.

While the new entries have the fit and finish part down (Tesla is improving in that area), they are pretty much starting at square 1 with the parts that make their vehicles go.

Tesla is developing better and longer range batteries while other are buying whatever they get off the shelf.

I'm really hoping the i4 is a car that ticks all the right boxes and doesn't have any birthing problems. At this point too little is known about their battery technology and its lifespan to fully buy into the car.

As far as appearance and appointments, IMO the i4 wins hands down vs. the competition.

Seems like the real Tesla contenders have a range a bit south of 300 miles (exception being the i4 which appears to match the Model 3 RL). With Tesla's "Battery Day" still TBA, chances are we may see that gap widening and battery life increasing.

Time will tell...........................
I was suppose to drive Polestar 2 in January after spending much time with the car while in Seattle back in December

I like the Polestar 2 but now I am not sure I'd get one because of the rear seat limitations as well as the rear windows only opening half way
      07-27-2020, 07:34 AM   #17
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW

I am sure i4 will be many times better than Tesla as a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #18
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post

I googled "Tesla bumper detachment" and only found one reference to someone driving in the rain and the bumper detached. So much of what you can find on the Internet is repeated information or stories w/o and confirmation.

If this did in fact happen once-twice-three times based on the number of cars sold, I would not classify this as systemic.

There is a constituency that does not like Elon Musk, or his products and will parrot any negative they can find, whether true/false or indifferent. There are few stock traders doing their best to see Tesla fail.

When I see a factory recall on all their cars for bumper detachment I will put some credence to that claim. Too much "click bait" to assume everything posted is true.

I recall a story about BMW's spontaneously bursting into flames when parked. Following that logic we should all hold off buying "Biimmers" until that problem is rectified.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
I googled "Tesla bumper detachment" and only found one reference to someone driving in the rain and the bumper detached. So much of what you can find on the Internet is repeated information or stories w/o and confirmation.
It's a real issue. Electrek is not shy about their cheerleading for Tesla, and a number of their staff own stock. Yet they are very frank about Tesla's shortcomings, including this design flaw.

https://electrek.co/2020/07/15/video...-bumper-viral/
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Is there some kind of big 'Battery Day' announcement form Tesla on Sep 22?

Think I've seen that in some online press. Potentially next gen or going to announce a genuine compact (ish) Model 3 with 400miles maybe?

Will be curious to see what the lab rats have cooked up...and also interesting contrast to our own BMW M3/4 launch again rumoured same time within a day.
      08-31-2020, 04:58 PM   #21
Smiller155
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 430i

Garage List
2021 BMW 430i  [0.00]
Quote:
I took a really serious look at the Tesla Model 3 before ordering a new 4 Series...while the Tesla has attractive exterior styling (IMO) and an impressive range and 0-60 stats, its not a luxury car. While the interior has a cool glass roof, it only has an iPad screen for nearly all of its features and its simplicity is sort of annoying.

For me, I prefer the luxury and features of BMW's and the superior ride quality. The Model 3 Tesla has non of that. From the cheap-feeling pleather non-sport seats, plastic nearly everywhere, small steering wheel, and lack of expected options, I just couldn't pull the trigger. The fact that there isn't even a power trunk or HUD was the deal breaker for me. In addition, no Apple CarPlay, just google maps without perspective view, no top down cameras, annoying touch screen volume, air condition controls, vent direction, poor rear visibility and small rear view mirror, etc. Honestly, the only things I liked about it were the ease of autopilot and the glass roof.

Also, the acceleration, while quick and effortless, doesn't provide the same (or any) exhilaration as you get from an engine. The feedback is non-existent and while its something we'll all have to get used to in the future, it isn't a compromise I wanted to make yet.

There is a wide array of aftermarket accessories and customization available from unrelated venders, but who wants to deal with spending the extra time and money for better wheels, non-high gloss black trim, footwell/interior lights, power trunks, or seat colors other than black or white?

I really wanted to like the Tesla Model 3 and took 4 separate test drives. But no matter how much the Tesla fanatics and owners brag about it on YouTube, it has all the excitement and feel of an under-optioned Toyota Camry. Plus, their leases suck too.

I suspect the real comparison to the upcoming BMW i4 will not be the Tesla Model 3, but the much more expensive Model S.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #22
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller155 View Post
I took a really serious look at the Tesla Model 3 before ordering a new 4 Series...While the interior has a cool glass roof, it only has an iPad screen for nearly all of its features and its The fact that there isn't even a power trunk or HUD was the deal breaker for me. In addition, no Apple CarPlay, just google maps without perspective view, no top down cameras, annoying touch screen volume, air condition controls, vent
It’s great to have choices, no?

Putting all the controls on the touch screen makes OTA updates/improvements much easier. My car has received lots of new features in the ~2 years I’ve owned it, including about 50 extra horsepower!

A friend’s MB C300 4Matic doesn’t have a power trunk lid either...

FWIW, the audio volume is controlled by the left steering wheel scroll wheel by default. I’ve never used the touch-screen volume control while driving, but did use it while a passenger - it’s great to have such easy access from that side.

The infinitely configurable HVAC vent are genius, IMO. I can direct the air exactly where I want it and as a result, I spend far less time fiddling with those controls than in any other car I’ve owned in 40+ years of driving.

Enjoy the BMW - really nice car!
Appreciate 0