BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #1
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

X3M Comp vs non-Comp Exhaust

Anyone have a side by side, or close to, comparison of the exhausts? To be completely honest, the exhaust is the main reason I've been focused on the Comp, but I wonder how pronounced the difference is. Has anyone else done this comparison? And what were your thoughts?

Thanks!
Appreciate 2
RoWoX3M401.00
      07-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf44 View Post
Anyone have a side by side, or close to, comparison of the exhausts? To be completely honest, the exhaust is the main reason I've been focused on the Comp, but I wonder how pronounced the difference is. Has anyone else done this comparison? And what were your thoughts?

Thanks!
You can get the non-Comp and add that relatively affordable Dinan exhaust - and it will sound way better than the stock Comp.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #3
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
You can get the non-Comp and add that relatively affordable Dinan exhaust - and it will sound way better than the stock Comp.
I second that idea. Sounds like a marvelous plan.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      07-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #4
ThumperMCS
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp, MINI Cooper JCW GP

Quote:

Thanks!
I have a Comp and my coworker has a non-Comp. I don't have video but I was shocked how quiet his is...even in Sport Plus. Even in sport plus it's about as loud as mine in Efficient...maybe a tad quieter even.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep

So I just popped in to a local dealer and compared the two, side by side. I was surprised at how much quieter the non-Comp is. Rats; I was hoping I would be happy enough with a non-Comp. As for an aftermarket exhaust, since I would be leasing, once you considering the residualized price of the Comp package, and the other options including, its practically the same price to just get the Comp.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
So I just popped in to a local dealer and compared the two, side by side. I was surprised at how much quieter the non-Comp is. Rats; I was hoping I would be happy enough with a non-Comp. As for an aftermarket exhaust, since I would be leasing, once you considering the residualized price of the Comp package, and the other options including, its practically the same price to just get the Comp.
I have a non-comp. Once I pulled the fuse for the "flap" (method is detailed on this and X3 M40i forum), the car sounded much better all of the time. If you want to try this at a dealer,(without yanking the fuse), the same can also be accomplished (most of the time - verify visually) by putting the car into Sport Plus. You can then look inside the left-most tail pipe and see the little flap - if its closed, it will be much quieter.

Can't say if this will make it sound "as good" as the Comp, as the Comp probably has the flap too.
Appreciate 2
mf44489.50
      07-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys64738 View Post
I have a non-comp. Once I pulled the fuse for the "flap" (method is detailed on this and X3 M40i forum), the car sounded much better all of the time. If you want to try this at a dealer,(without yanking the fuse), the same can also be accomplished (most of the time - verify visually) by putting the car into Sport Plus. You can then look inside the left-most tail pipe and see the little flap - if its closed, it will be much quieter.

Can't say if this will make it sound "as good" as the Comp, as the Comp probably has the flap too.
Thanks! I did make sure to put everything in sport plus and I did notice it get louder. But still not as loud as the Comp. I think the problem is I'm spoiled: my current C43 has the optional AMG performance exhaust which sounds amazing (some might say obnoxious ) with great idle, all kinds of burbles, pops, and bangs, and a great overall note. Both X3Ms don't have as much in the burble and pop department, but I still want a nice overall tone and a bit more volume.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #8
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
This was my deciding process as well. Leasing and Comp exhaust was significantly louder/better. Since I wanted the wheels and seats, the exhaust sealed the Comp for me.
Appreciate 0