BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #1
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Side grill X3M swap - pry off just boomerang?

X3M Base owner here doing a chrome to black swap.

I have a set of black side grills from IND, but was curious if anyone has just swapped the "boomerang" portion (currently chrome) instead of the entire side grill? This video seems to show it is possible, but I am having a tough time getting the "boomerang" off of the existing grill quite as easily as shown.

Anyone done this, and any tips or tools to use?

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
GrandMasterKhan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Evo9, '22 X3Mc, Turbo S2000
Location: BMW Southpoint, Durham NC. Dinan/Carbahn authorized Dealer.

once you have the entire thing removed you can use a small flat head screw driver on the tabs and the chrome will separate from the black.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan View Post
once you have the entire thing removed you can use a small flat head screw driver on the tabs and the chrome will separate from the black.
Thanks - but my intention was not to remove the whole thing -- only to remove the boomerang part (since the rest is identical to the new grill).

So, what I ended up doing was pulling on the upper right corner of the chrome part while also pushing hard back against the interior of the side vent (black part) just underneath the chrome part, which allowed the boomerang to snap off. I then removed the black boomerang from the IND side grill and snapped it right on. Now that I know how to do it, would probably take less than 5 minutes per side. There was a bit of adhesive pad that you had to "cut off" from the new IND part to allow it to attach to the car once the chrome was removed.
Appreciate 0