ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
blo it
Rep
Drives: mz4

Front suspension bump stop question

So i just installed a set of H&R spring in the fron of my m coupe. Overall a simple process and an easy install but i did find something concerning in the fron suspension.

In both the left and right shocks there was to nylon inserts or bushings that fit around the shock absorber shaft. They dont appear to be permanent and look like they are designed to be removed. You can see in the photo, that one has been destroyed while the other one is still in one piece,

Now my coupe has 12K on it and obviously i have hit a few bumps, and on two occasions i have dented my front right rim - twice. both occasions i have had it straightened and on both occasions i didnt believe the bump was that big, but it definately hit hard.

When i removed the right shock, the two piece of nylon were floating around in the shock. it was obvious that the bump stop had pounded it a few times, and it was obvious that my suspension travel was greatly reduced.

The left side had actually opened up and slide around the bump stop. It has torn the rubber boat that goes around the shock.

What do you guys think i should do. i looked at realoem, and there is no part number that i can see. My thoughts are that it is inserted in there for when the car is transported, and someone forgot to take it out. It has been designed so that it can be easily removed.

Do you think it is worth my time complaining to BMW, based on the damage to my rim???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Aren't tose the shipping blocks during the transportation to the dealer? I don't remember my stock shocks having those.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
blo it
Rep

Yeah that is what i thought - the dealer must have left them in... guess ill be making a phone call tomorrow!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Would these shipping blocks be visible without the wheels removed? I don't think I ever saw them on my car (which is good) but am wondering if it's something that's hard to find? I've changed my wheels a few times but never noticed anything out of the ordinary.
      10-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
blo it
Rep

they arent obvious, because they have a rubber boot and spring over them - but i think that you could see them if you looked hard enough
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Have you complained to the dealer yet? If the dealer blows your off, you can always contact BMWNA directly.
Appreciate 0