BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2020, 12:52 AM   #1
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Hi guys,

Just wanted to say how wicked awesome the F98 is. I know a lot of people say, oh why get that impractical coupe when you can have a X3M. But then, the X3M owners need MSS springs and still say, it rides so rough, not to mention the X4M is endlessly cooler (you know it deep down, even if you convinced yourself and your wife otherwise) and how often do you "really" need the added cargo space. Did anyone really buy an X3M to haul recliners all day long? Even those fit fine in an F98. Why does everyone hate the X4(M), it just doesn't make logical sense on any argument that's actually scrutinized. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, period!

If anything in my opinion, an X3M sets out the expectations that it's still gonna be a smooth ride, it's a BMW SUV. But with an X4M that expectation goes out the window, you expect this to be mean, aggressive and abusive on the senses. In that light, it delivers a 10/10 performance.

Personally I don't think there can be a more perfect application for the term "M SUV" than an X4M.

To be perfectly transparent, we own a GLC 300 off-road package, riding on smooth 19" rims. That's the family hauler, for me the X4M is my "fun time" when I go out alone.

Last edited by spucktacular; 12-20-2023 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 3
ando2002.00
      07-18-2020, 01:10 AM   #2
ltym5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Well said, I like my X4m too.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 01:52 AM   #3
Craig 1527
Craig
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: x3m comp

I haven't put MSS springs on myX3MC and never said the ride is rough I have no complaints about the ride being harsh and neither has anyone who has been in it.

Also I'm not a hater of the X4 in fact I've grown to like them more as time goes by

but the rear space is filled by my dog so the X3MC was a better choice for me and still my preferred model
Must admit I didn't realise that the suspension was different on both cars
f31 335i mineral grey/coral gone but will be missed.
gone 2014 range rover sport dynamic.
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2020, 02:22 AM   #4
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 1527 View Post
I haven't put MSS springs on myX3MC and never said the ride is rough I have no complaints about the ride being harsh and neither has anyone who has been in it.

Also I'm not a hater of the X4 in fact I've grown to like them more as time goes by

but the rear space is filled by my dog so the X3MC was a better choice for me and still my preferred model
Must admit I didn't realise that the suspension was different on both cars
"a lot" of people, not everyone.. but certainly not trying to put the X3M down, just saying the X4M isn't any more "outrageous" and doesn't deserve a lot of the hate it gets (G02 or F98, or F26 before them).
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 03:22 AM   #5
mjrennie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Both excellent. I just prefer the styling of the 4. Each to their own.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      07-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I just don't like that the 4 costs more. My dog also told me he's leaving if I went 4 over 3.

And it's ugly. :
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 10:57 AM   #7
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I just don't like that the 4 costs more. My dog also told me he's leaving if I went 4 over 3.

And it's ugly. :
Probably be happier in the back of a dodge caravan to be honest, or he might not even notice the difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
But then, the X3M owners need MSS springs and still say, it rides so rough, not to mention the X4M is endlessly cooler (you know it deep down, even if you convinced yourself and your wife otherwise) and how often do you "really" need the added cargo space.
Does X3M ride more rough than X4M?
I am in market for one of these. Trying to decide what to get.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
BOEING 777
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC 2022 X3MC 2023 M3C

Quote:
Hi guys,

Just wanted to say how wicked awesome the F98 is. I know a lot of people say, oh why get that impractical coupe when you can have a X3M. But then, the X3M owners need MSS springs and still say, it rides so rough, not to mention the X4M is endlessly cooler (you know it deep down, even if you convinced yourself and your wife otherwise) and how often do you "really" need the added cargo space. Did anyone really buy an X3M to haul recliners all day long? Even those fit fine in an F98. Why does everyone hate the X4(M), it just doesn't make logical sense on any argument that's actually scrutinized. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, period!

If anything in my opinion, an X3M sets out the expectations that it's still gonna be a smooth ride, it's a BMW SUV. But with an X4M that expectation goes out the window, you expect this to be mean, aggressive and abusive on the senses. In that light, it delivers a 10/10 performance.

Personally I don't think there can be a more perfect application for the term "M SUV" than an X4M.

To be perfectly transparent, we own a GLC 300 off-road package, riding on smooth 19" rims. That's the family hauler, for me the X4M is my "fun time" when I go out alone.
They are both awesome cars just what your specifics needs are at this point in your life,for me we have a GLE 43 for the family hauler so I had no need to get another SUV.This is my 3rd X4 and I just love them,still practical to haul anything from the store and can also take to the track.I love both cars and trying to convince my wife to get the X3MC when her lease ends,however she just love her AMG.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7837.00
      07-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #10
Sebap3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I also love mine. I love the design. Also when I purchase cars I try to get something that’s less common and to me you see a lot less X4s than X3s if I went to a standard SUV I’d choose the Stelvio or GLC like the design better than X3M
Attached Images

Last edited by Sebap3; 07-18-2020 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #11
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post
No, they are identical. Same car in two different shapes.
Appreciate 1
parky1215564.00
      07-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #12
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Probably be happier in the back of a dodge caravan to be honest, or he might not even notice the difference.
Naw he can't see out of a minivan. He especially likes that I got the spare tire hump so he sits up high and can see out the back better. He's a bit short but would be pissed if he had to deal with that sloping rear window.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #13
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I'll admit, in your pic it looks great in black.

I was not a fan of how it looked in person and the higher price tag was a non-starter for me.

Also the extra space was good because I use most of it for my sub box

I seem to get the impression there are more X4Ms sold in Europe (UK) than US.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #14
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

Quote:
Hi guys,

Just to play devils advocate:

A more perfect application would be to just get an X4M Competition

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #15
GildaStofmnd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4M Competition

I went in to look at the M4 and left with the X4M Competition. I really have no need for an SUV and It won't ever be used as one haha. But I couldn't be happier with the last minute change of mind.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #16
ltym5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurng View Post

Nah, just debadged and wrapped the roof and spoiler black plus chrome delete. LOL
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #17
dhurng
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltym5 View Post
Quote:

Nah, just debadged and wrapped the roof and spoiler black plus chrome delete. LOL
I like that, throw in a tune as well and you're perfect 👌
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 02:46 PM   #18
JFerraro819
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post

And it's ugly. :
This

They should have just had them be the same price. at least in the M range. Looks....cant be helped. I kid. kinda sorta
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #19
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Was my intention, but I live in Montreal Canada and that comp suspension was just a little too much on our shitty roads after driving them back to back... though I did get my x4m fully loaded including the M sport exhaust, seats, 21" forged grey rims, basically checked every single box off... it wasn't a cost thing, but I have ZERO intention of ever bringing it to a track. It's my daily driver.

My comment was regarding the f98 platform overall tho
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #20
dhurng
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Was my intention, but I live in Montreal Canada and that comp suspension was just a little too much on our shitty roads after driving them back to back... though I did get my x4m fully loaded including the M sport exhaust, seats, 21" forged grey rims, basically checked every single box off... it wasn't a cost thing, and I have ZERO intention of every bringing it to a track. It's my daily driver.
I wasn't aware there was a difference in suspension? I honestly thought it was exhaust, black pieces and a software speed bump.

But I definitely get it, in fact I am on the exact same boat as you except with the x3m as I couldn't afford the x4m lol
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #21
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post
Quote:
But then, the X3M owners need MSS springs and still say, it rides so rough, not to mention the X4M is endlessly cooler (you know it deep down, even if you convinced yourself and your wife otherwise) and how often do you "really" need the added cargo space.
Not at all, I just meant to say one "might" be expecting a smoother ride in the full SUV format.
Appreciate 1
parky1215564.00
      07-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #22
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Was my intention, but I live in Montreal Canada and that comp suspension was just a little too much on our shitty roads after driving them back to back... though I did get my x4m fully loaded including the M sport exhaust, seats, 21" forged grey rims, basically checked every single box off... it wasn't a cost thing, and I have ZERO intention of every bringing it to a track. It's my daily driver.
I wasn't aware there was a difference in suspension? I honestly thought it was exhaust, black pieces and a software speed bump.

But I definitely get it, in fact I am on the exact same boat as you except with the x3m as I couldn't afford the x4m lol
If I understood correctly from the technical chassis manuals, the comp not only has thicker sway bars (which help increase rigidity on track) but also some sort of continuously adaptive damper mode unique to the competition variant. I'll try to dig up the PDFs and post some screenshots.
Appreciate 1
dhurng407.00