BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
aggs400
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Black CFR 6SP

Software recall??

Dealer called me today saying he needs to replace a microfilter and update my software, because there is a software recall. Last week I had done 1200 service, and only put 100 miles on the car since. I asked why wasn't this done while they performed 1200 mile service, they said this info did not come up on the computer at that time. Supposedly, our cars communicate with the dealer... And dealer said the services that will be performed will be free of charge.
Some more relevant info. Right after the 1200 mile service i installed myself factory alarm. And i did unscrew the microfilter box at one point, and screwed it back in. I did not have the car reprogrammed. So only inside motion sensor works.
So the question is, is this a real recall, or is the alarm that sent a signal for reprogramming. If so, i will get reprogrammed for free. Did anybody else experience software recall with or without DIY factory alarm?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggs400 View Post
Dealer called me today saying he needs to replace a microfilter and update my software, because there is a software recall. Last week I had done 1200 service, and only put 100 miles on the car since. I asked why wasn't this done while they performed 1200 mile service, they said this info did not come up on the computer at that time. Supposedly, our cars communicate with the dealer... And dealer said the services that will be performed will be free of charge.
Some more relevant info. Right after the 1200 mile service i installed myself factory alarm. And i did unscrew the microfilter box at one point, and screwed it back in. I did not have the car reprogrammed. So only inside motion sensor works.
So the question is, is this a real recall, or is the alarm that sent a signal for reprogramming. If so, i will get reprogrammed for free. Did anybody else experience software recall with or without DIY factory alarm?
First of all, they will have to reprogram the DME for the factory alarm to work properly. This is a total DUMP of the cars program and RELOAD of the software WITH the alarm program built in. Why, I dunno, but they have to erase your old program and load a new one with the alarm program built into it...sounds strange, but that is how they do it. I really really doubt you installing the alarm module "triggered" the system to call in an SOS to the dealer.

Secondly, find out EXACTLY what the recall is for and post the info here. I have heard of NO recalls on the M3, so I would be interested to hear exactly what your dealer is telling you needs to be done. Post any relevant info please.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 03:32 AM   #3
Battle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Prius

Guys I had the recall updated. It is the fix to he DCT lag.