BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
dunhill
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Anyone expirience driving problems after lowering?

First a little background.

I put aftermarket rims and lowered it on the first day, (8.5x20, 10.5x20, Eibach springs), so not sure if this problem goes away if stock, or I actually have a problem.

Under hard accelaration, the front gets extremely squirly. I meen scary. The front end feels like it's hovering, not making contact. I need to correct the steering to keep it in line, but the steering inputs are all over, put a little left, goes extremely hard, correct with the same amount of right, not enough.

I can't figure out if it's an alignment issue, or the tires, or maybe the springs, or what. All I know, it's scary. The car is not even broken in yet, so when I say hard accelaration, it's still under 5k. I'm scared to see what it will feel like above that. I had another e92 for a few weeks, (crashed it) and it never did that. That one was not lowered, and had 19's.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm getting the car back from 2k service today, and though I can't wait to flog it, I'm scared as to what it may feel like @ 8k.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
First a little background.

I put aftermarket rims and lowered it on the first day, (8.5x20, 10.5x20, Eibach springs), so not sure if this problem goes away if stock, or I actually have a problem.

Under hard accelaration, the front gets extremely squirly. I meen scary. The front end feels like it's hovering, not making contact. I need to correct the steering to keep it in line, but the steering inputs are all over, put a little left, goes extremely hard, correct with the same amount of right, not enough.

I can't figure out if it's an alignment issue, or the tires, or maybe the springs, or what. All I know, it's scary. The car is not even broken in yet, so when I say hard accelaration, it's still under 5k. I'm scared to see what it will feel like above that. I had another e92 for a few weeks, (crashed it) and it never did that. That one was not lowered, and had 19's.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm getting the car back from 2k service today, and though I can't wait to flog it, I'm scared as to what it may feel like @ 8k.
This is what happens when you modify cars based upon form instead of function.

Good luck.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
dunhill
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post

Good luck.
Thanks for the input. Very helpfull.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Did you check the pressure of the tires? Maybe its need a serious alignment

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Good luck.

What makes m3/e90etc. posters different then your regular bmw driver is that we love modifying our cars

Your input has no relevance to the op's questions so try to be a little more helpful next time instead of wasting space with wasteful posts.

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
BMWDEMON
Super modder
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & E46 M3

make sure your springs are not broken, check the spring rate, get an alignment...

M
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy85 View Post

What makes m3/e90etc. posters different then your regular bmw driver is that we love modifying our cars

Your input has no relevance to the op's questions so try to be a little more helpful next time instead of wasting space with wasteful posts.
It would be nice if people actually understood what the mods they put on do to alter the cars performance. I never understood why people choose to mod cars right off the lot. Wouldn't it be better to actually drive the car stock for awhile to get a feel for what needs improvement and what doesn't? Just because its a mod doesn't mean its better.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
335 S
Vile and Depraved
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
Thanks for the input. Very helpfull.
Mr. Dunhil, RJ was being helpful. Lowering a car by simply cutting the spring length is insane. To put it in simple terms, your car's suspension is in the position of partial compression. Your arms are sitting at different angles from the original engineering. To effectively replicate the original geometry, you would have move the suspension pick up points.

I'd be happy to do it for $100.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
You have what is called Toe out. Your front end toe is out (positive), the left side might be out a little more, if it goes more towards the left. Also, you will have to make sure that your camber is adjusted also. Usually by adjusting camber and caster and the toe, all of your problems will get corrected. It is not something you did wrong, everytime you altered a car's suspension, you will have the same feeling as you describe. Also, check your tires and make sure you are not having an over pressure issue. Anything over 40psi, will get a feeling of the car hovering, instead of just sticking to ther road. Let me know if that is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Dunhill,

I appologize for being a d!ckhead about this. I didn't realize you were a Roadflyer. Automatic pass. Do the following in order.

First make sure nothing (likely the front sway bar) got disconnected while the lowering springs were being installed. Your symtoms sound like a disconnected front sway bar.

Make sure you have at least 38 psi in those rubber band tires; and that all tires are at the same pressure.

Have the car aligned.

Have the car put on scales to make sure the corner weights are close. Right front plus left rear should be within 75 pounds of the sum of the left front and right rear. A faulty spring installation would show up here (unlikely).

This was nowhere near the abuse you would have got on roadfly with the same question, and you should know that.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
It would be nice if people actually understood what the mods they put on do to alter the cars performance. I never understood why people choose to mod cars right off the lot. Wouldn't it be better to actually drive the car stock for awhile to get a feel for what needs improvement and what doesn't? Just because its a mod doesn't mean its better.
How did you come to the conclusion that the OP modded his car without knowing how the mods would alter the cars performance

I never understood why anyone would keep their car stock for so long so thats a matter of opinion

To the OP your getting helpful posts now so hope you figure out what the problem is.

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Dunhill,

I appologize for being a d!ckhead about this. I didn't realize you were a Roadflyer. Automatic pass. Do the following in order.

First make sure nothing (likely the front sway bar) got disconnected while the lowering springs were being installed. Your symtoms sound like a disconnected front sway bar.

Make sure you have at least 38 psi in those rubber band tires; and that all tires are at the same pressure.

Have the car aligned.

Have the car put on scales to make sure the corner weights are close. Right front plus left rear should be within 75 pounds of the sum of the left front and right rear. A faulty spring installation would show up here (unlikely).

This was nowhere near the abuse you would have got on roadfly with the same question, and you should know that.

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

I've got the Eibachs with OEM 19" wheels and no problems. I doubt it's the aftermarket wheels/tires if everything was the right offset, tire size, hubcentric and correct inflation. If you still have the OEM wheels, you could try putting them back on to see if the problem goes away. Toe can make the car "darty" and that may be what you're feeling so an alignment check would be next on the list.

To the naysayers who criticize those who mod their cars for cosmetic purposes - why not just follow the old axiom "if you don't have anything nice(or constructive) to say, don't say anything". I personally have been down the mod for function only road and got tired of driving a psuedo race car everyday. Now I'm into "pimpin" my car and it's fun too!

Thx,
BC
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #16
dunhill
Rep

Quote:
Dunhill,

Have the car aligned.

That's a much nicer and appreciated response. Also quite helfull. I will check.

And yes, I'm aware about the abuse
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #17
dunhill
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
As I stated, I had another e92 for 5 weeks before it crashed. It was stock. Was going to do these mods anyway, after I had driven it stock for a while. Unfortunately, I lost the car before all my parts came in. Wheels, suspention, and all parts were here and waiting long before my new car arrived. Should I have waited even longer, just to make sure the new car drove the same as the old?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
dunhill
Rep

All great advise.

I will put on stock wheels tommorrow, see what happens.

Next, I think RJ, elm3 and BarryC make sense. Now to find the right shop.

The guy that did the alighment is a great guy, been going to him for 15years, but his equipment is a little antiqueted. I asked BMW today at the servisce, they could not do it. Their allignment machine only mounts to stock rims (ahhh, that is what the 5 little hole next the the lug bolts are).

Any good shops in Toronto?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #19
dunhill
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy85 View Post
How did you come to the conclusion that the OP modded his car without knowing how the mods would alter the cars performance

I never understood why anyone would keep their car stock for so long so thats a matter of opinion

To the OP your getting helpful posts now so hope you figure out what the problem is.
Appreciate the support.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #20
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

odd....Eibach springs are well engineered so I don't think that will be the problem...however check your alignment and tire pressures...but most likely there is an offset problem with your front wheels, which causes the wandering
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0