BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Something leaking on the inside of the windshield?!?

07-14-2020, 04:32 AM   #1
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Something leaking on the inside of the windshield?!?

Very odd. I spotted some liquid (not water) running down the inside of the windshield from the bottom of the plastic housing of the rear view mirror mount attached to the windshield.

- It is not coming from the mirror, that would have dripped down directly and can't get onto the windsheld.

- I removed the plastic housing and the liquid seems it is not coming from further up like the roof or anything above the mirrormount attached to the glass.

- It seems to come from within the mirror mount attached to the glass?!??

My car hasn't got the camera for road signs but it has the auto rain detector which I guess is the sensor one can see from the outside through the windshield, situated inside the mirror mount.

Anyone seen a leak like this? Could it possibly have to do something with the sensor? My windshield was replaced not too long ago, could that have something to do with it?

Thanks for any ideas!
Attached Images

Last edited by MagnusT; 07-14-2020 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #2
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
My windshield was replaced not too long ago, could that have something to do with it?
BINGO
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
matt123
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
Very odd. I spotted some liquid (not water) running down the inside of the windshield from the bottom of the plastic housing of the rear view mirror mount attached to the windshield.

- It is not coming from the mirror, that would have dripped down directly and can't get onto the windsheld.

- I removed the plastic housing and the liquid seems it is not coming from further up like the roof or anything above the mirrormount attached to the glass.

- It seems to come from within the mirror mount attached to the glass?!??

My car hasn't got the camera for road signs but it has the auto rain detector which I guess is the sensor one can see from the outside through the windshield, situated inside the mirror mount.

Anyone seen a leak like this? Could it possibly have to do something with the sensor? My windshield was replaced not too long ago, could that have something to do with it?

Thanks for any ideas!
Rain sensor gel pack leaking, usually clean it off once and it is good. Was it a bmw windshield and did they use an aftermarket gel mix or replace the sensor? Seen aftermarket gel just keep leaking.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:52 AM   #4
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:53 AM   #5
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt123 View Post
Rain sensor gel pack leaking, usually clean it off once and it is good. Was it a bmw windshield and did they use an aftermarket gel mix or replace the sensor? Seen aftermarket gel just keep leaking.
Dunno, will contact them and ask :-)
Appreciate 0