F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > M8 Front Page News
ARMA SPEED

07-14-2020, 02:31 AM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

M8 Front Page News

Wow. I guess in some ways it's not surprising but it's BMWs flagship car, no lore M8 coupe and very builds for US in 2020.

I assume it's to run down stock but wow, state of play
      07-14-2020, 02:44 AM   #2
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Wow. I guess in some ways it's not surprising but it's BMWs flagship car, no lore M8 coupe and very builds for US in 2020.

I assume it's to run down stock but wow, state of play
It feels like very few 8 Series, even the lesser models, have been sold. I haven't seen a single 8GC other than my one 'in the wild' - just the local dealer's demonstrator. I have only seen a handful of 8 coupes and no M8.

The 6 coupe and GC was a much more common sight, even in the early days...
Appreciate 2
JustChris17489.00
TaranF32129.50
      07-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

In fairness as Clarkson said. The 8 was the answer to the question nobody was asking.

I wonder if this will make it somewhat exclusive or collectors since the end is nigh.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      07-14-2020, 02:15 PM   #4
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Unfortunately I think the large coupe market is dead unless you are very high end, eg Bentley/Aston.

I think for the price bracket the 8 series competes in, people just want performance SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 02:45 AM   #5
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
In fairness as Clarkson said. The 8 was the answer to the question nobody was asking.

I wonder if this will make it somewhat exclusive or collectors since the end is nigh.
On paper the 8 is fairly pointless - the 5 is both smaller and more practical as well as being much cheaper. I liked the 8 design, but I was actually looking for a deal on an F90, or if I couldn't find a good one, then an M340i was on the cards. It was just the cheap lease deal which convinced me to get one without a test drive.

Having now driven the 8GC for a few weeks, it is a far more compelling package than I had expected. It really doesn't handle like a big car - it's taut and responsive as they have done an excellent job of keeping the weight down and CoG low. The build quality is superb - they are made alongside the 7 Series. It's only the second BMW I have ever had which hasn't needed to go back for niggles to be resolved - the first being the E39 M5.

If people actually tried the 8, I imagine they would shift more of them, but convincing people to get a 7 Series size car with less space than a 5 is going to be tough.
Appreciate 4
Soul_Glo13350.00
JustChris17489.00
      07-15-2020, 03:20 AM   #6
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
On paper the 8 is fairly pointless - the 5 is both smaller and more practical as well as being much cheaper. I liked the 8 design, but I was actually looking for a deal on an F90, or if I couldn't find a good one, then an M340i was on the cards. It was just the cheap lease deal which convinced me to get one without a test drive.

Having now driven the 8GC for a few weeks, it is a far more compelling package than I had expected. It really doesn't handle like a big car - it's taut and responsive as they have done an excellent job of keeping the weight down and CoG low. The build quality is superb - they are made alongside the 7 Series. It's only the second BMW I have ever had which hasn't needed to go back for niggles to be resolved - the first being the E39 M5.

If people actually tried the 8, I imagine they would shift more of them, but convincing people to get a 7 Series size car with less space than a 5 is going to be tough.
I think the change of nomenclature said a lot - 4 is coupe 3, 6 is coupe 5.... so they changed the 6 to 8 and sell it as a coupe 7 so they can try and charge much more for it....

But its competitors at its list price are serious stuff... maybe if they listed it 30k cheaper it may have been more successful.

I think that about the M5 though - its a £75k car, not a £100k car...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:24 AM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post

I don't think BMW put enough advertising power into it and almost expected it to sell itself. A bit like when the first 8 series was too late to the party.

I remember when I purchased my 4. All the campaigns on hold your breath and count to 4. The personal invitation from Rybrook to a barbecue with salesmen carrying KY in their pockets. The constant e-mails and reminders by post. The billboards. A loan 4 every time I was booked in for service. I drove the first 4 GC in the UK it was a Rybrook brand managers 435d X Drive.

I do think the 8 would make a great EV platform but the i8 moniker is taken.
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      07-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #8
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

We've seen two coupes in the last week. An M850i and an 840i. I feared that the V8 M850i (with OPF) might sound strangled even with our exhaust but actually it sounded great, cracking and popping on the overrun like a pre-OPF car. The 840i was delivered here straight from Cotswold BMW for some "reassuringly expensive" aero parts and the same exhaust - we'll find out how that sounds later in the week.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17489.00
Soul_Glo13350.00
      07-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Vasumir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i

The cars are simply over priced. Especially with the amount they are depreciating.
If I was lucky enough to have 100k+ to spend on a car, it wouldn't be on an 8 series.
I imagine others might think the same and that's why there aren't that many of them about.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      07-16-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Agree with the general sentiment. Over ambitious pricing and a bit of an identity crisis is hobbling what is essentially a very good car, albeit one that trades space for style.
Appreciate 0