F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Euro travel card
proTUNING Freaks

07-08-2020, 02:10 AM   #1
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Euro travel card

Heading away a few days and will be paying in Euros. Normally just take a load of cash so i have control over buying rate and charges but right now cash is less attractive. Had a look at prepaid euro cards but a lot seem to be unavailable due to the overall provider being in difficulty.

Anyone any recommendations. Kinda falling back to the post office card although it talks of fees if you leave money on it and with it being a preload card it’s likely there will be some money left at some time. Noticed a Currensea card which does not need loaded and simply deducts from the current account but they don’t work with my bank yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:39 AM   #2
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I have Caxton card. Worked ok for me.

But not sure what has developed since lockdown.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:47 AM   #3
archerz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Garage List
I use Monzo, all card transactions are just market rate with no fees and can withdraw each month £200 (i think) free (then a small commision charge) from ATMs. So if I use my card where I can means can have a bit of cash free
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:54 AM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I used FairFX once, I know they had problems with Wirecard issues but seem to be back up and running now and sending out emails touting for business...

That Monzo deal sounds good though...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:18 AM   #5
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

I usually take a Post Office prepaid card, seems to work OK, you can check and load balance online etc
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:20 AM   #6
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

Looking into Revolut card, highly rated.

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:20 AM   #7
Abrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 435d

Monzo or Starling, both offer protection as normal banks with zero forex commission. Starling gives you an option to have two accounts one in gbp and the other in EUR so all EUR transactions will come out from EUR account
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:50 AM   #8
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Spoke to Barclaycard this morning who are one of my card providers. They used to have a travel card but it’s withdrawn. The girl said normally there is a 2.99% fee on any transaction but she would put a note on the account to cancel that.

On that basis maybe my Barclaycard is all I need?
Appreciate 1
mikeoz2861.50
      07-08-2020, 05:30 AM   #9
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Any one know if these cars work in Germany? Reason I ask is most places other than Petrol stations and hotels won't take Visa/Mastercards they tend to use "EC Card" for transactions?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:55 AM   #10
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Any one know if these cars work in Germany? Reason I ask is most places other than Petrol stations and hotels won't take Visa/Mastercards they tend to use "EC Card" for transactions?
I used a prepaid Mastercard (Cash Passport) last time we were in Germany. Just checked the statement and we used it in three different restaurants, the tourist office and Cologne Zoo. That was a couple of years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:04 AM   #11
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Spoke to Barclaycard this morning who are one of my card providers. They used to have a travel card but it’s withdrawn. The girl said normally there is a 2.99% fee on any transaction but she would put a note on the account to cancel that.

I don't think there's much benefit to a prepaid card while exchange rates are as stable as they are at the moment.

Barclaycard still do the Rewards credit card. That has no overseas transaction fee, but just as important, you get the wholesale exchange rate, which is worth another 3%.

It's also interest-free for cash withdrawals as long as you repay in full by the due date. Others, like the Post Office credit card, charge interest from the day of withdrawal.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:13 AM   #12
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

I've used Revolut for my past couple of trips, can't fault it. The exchange rate is good, transferring money over to it is easy and the immediate notifications you get from the app when it's being used means if it was cloned you wouldn't get hit for thousands before knowing about it. Also some of the nice features are you can control what the card can be used for so you can choose for your physical card not to be able to be used online and then you can have another virtual card that you can use for online purchases.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:15 AM   #13
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
I used a prepaid Mastercard (Cash Passport) last time we were in Germany. Just checked the statement and we used it in three different restaurants, the tourist office and Cologne Zoo. That was a couple of years ago.
Yeah thanks for that.
I tend to find it's supermarkets and shops I have issues with.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:40 AM   #14
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Quote:
Yeah thanks for that.
I tend to find it's supermarkets and shops I have issues with.
Not sure about those, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:44 AM   #15
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Another very happy Starling user here both at home and abroad
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:59 AM   #16
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
I've used Revolut for my past couple of trips, can't fault it. The exchange rate is good, transferring money over to it is easy and the immediate notifications you get from the app when it's being used means if it was cloned you wouldn't get hit for thousands before knowing about it. Also some of the nice features are you can control what the card can be used for so you can choose for your physical card not to be able to be used online and then you can have another virtual card that you can use for online purchases.
I looked at Revolut but I think you can only take out £200 a month cash before they start charging? That wouldn't get me through a 2-3 week trip.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:29 AM   #17
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post

I always think about doing something different, but invariably just end up using my debit card.

Even if you have to pay, a 3% charge isn’t that much in the scheme of things. £45 on £1500, or £90 on £3000. Exchange rate usually seems ok, but given the overall cost of the holiday, I don’t tend to notice much.

I’m just always careful not to accept any payment or withdrawal in local currency, as you get a worse exchange rate and two lots of fees.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #18
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
I looked at Revolut but I think you can only take out £200 a month cash before they start charging? That wouldn't get me through a 2-3 week trip.
Not sure many places will be taking cash depending on where you go and they don't charge for foreign card transactions so no need to withdraw more cash than £200 as you can just pay for everything by card.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:53 AM   #19
Simon89
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XDrive

I've used Starling for around 18months now. Used it in both Europe and USA without any issues at all, you don't even need to setup another account, just pay like normal and the conversion is all taken care of without being charged extra fees etc.

The benefit of Starling is there is no limit to what you can withdraw from a cash machine unlike Monzo.

I can see the foreign exchange cars eventually disappearing when we have options like Starling/Monzo about.