BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
SWOT1
The Hammock Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC, X3 M40i, E93 M3

Garage List
Getting close to pulling trigger on tune: BM3 vs. Mission Performance... Pros/Cons

Would love to hear the best reasons to go with (or not go with) either the BM3 or Mission Performance stage 1 tune.

Am I wrong? MP (more power, and a little more expensive?) vs. BM3 (more support?)

- '20 X3MC | Alpine White | Black Alcantara/Midrand Beige | loaded | 295/265 PS4S
- '09 E93 M3 | Alpine White | Bamboo Beige Novillo | DCT | loaded | Chrome M220 Wheels - 275/255 PSS
Appreciate 1
dhurng407.00
      07-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Fun fact:

Both BM3 & Mission Performance can be transferred to your next car when need be (I think there is a small transfer fee) or sold just as you would any other mod if you no longer have a want or need :-).

As far as I know these are the only two tuners that offer this.
Appreciate 1
SWOT1492.50
      07-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #3
gotstocks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Fun fact:

Both BM3 & Mission Performance can be transferred to your next car when need be (I think there is a small transfer fee) or sold just as you would any other mod if you no longer have a want or need :-).

Ooh. I did not know this. Do they utilize a device to load the tune? I haven't flashed any of my BMW's yet, but have done several of our other cars.

Also, what if you change the model of vehicle, will they provide a new tune for the transfer fee? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Fun fact:

Can you datalog with the Mission Performance app?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotstocks View Post
Ooh. I did not know this. Do they utilize a device to load the tune? I haven't flashed any of my BMW's yet, but have done several of our other cars.
I do not have personal experience loading the S58 flash by either tuner so I will defer to those more in the know

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotstocks View Post
Also, what if you change the model of vehicle, will they provide a new tune for the transfer fee? Thank you.
This one I can respond to based on my personal experience. When I transferred my MP tune recently I paid a $100 transfer fee in addition to the difference between the current sale price of the two flashes - in my case this was $200.

Friend from the forum got out of BMW and sold his MP tune for $xxx new buyer purchased the tune and paid the transfer fee.

The aforementioned can be repeated as many times as may come up.

I think PTF/BM3 operates in much the same manner...albeit with some subtle differences (I'm sure someone here can jump in to provide more detail)

Anyhoo...nice your investment is somewhat protected with both platforms :-)

Hope this helps a bit
Appreciate 2
SWOT1492.50
GT500R799.50
      07-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Can you datalog with the Mission Performance app?
While I have no personal experience with this aspect of the app - I did just stumble on this thread that would seem to indicate that you can indeed datalog.

Disclaimer: I am not the expert and am just passing this along what I found in case it helps you or someone else reading this thread. For anyone that is curious - I would suggest a call to Alex for more clarity - it has been my experience working with him that calling him (8-5 or so PST in that he is here in Calfornia) vs emailing or posting to the forums is the best way to connect with him - just my 2-cents :-)

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=16

Last edited by chenry; 07-06-2020 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: stumbled on a post that may help
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #7
ltym5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I haven't used MP but have had used BM3 for my past few BMWs. I like the flexibility of BM3 for flashing different maps any time I want. Now that the beta version is out for mobile flashing from my phone, made it even more convenient.

Performance wise, GT500R posted a video of him running against someone with BM3. He easily won that race.
Appreciate 0