E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Shuddering after pull, need some input

07-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Shuddering after pull, need some input

Hi all, car did something odd last night after a slight pull. Haven't had a chance to datalog but will later today for better info. In the meantime, wondering if I could get anyone's 2 cents in

I did a small pull yesterday afternoon and although my passenger was wow'd, I felt like the car was a underpower from how it normally was. I chalked it up to being the 100f weather and disregarded.

However, later that night when it was much cooler, I did another pull. Afterwards, I could feel my car shuddering/chugginng a bit, especially under decel/engine braking. Steering wheel felt like power steering was cutting in and out as well. I was about to pull over when the symptoms stopped and car was back to normal again.
(Didn't do any further pulls because I was about 50 miles from home and didn't wanna get stranded)

I also remembered just a few weeks ago, I had driven from NorCal to socal and during a gas stop, the car started idling funny while I was sitting at a red light. But after light turned and I went, idle issues disappeared from all further stops

I'm really hoping these aren't the precursor symptoms indicating the hpfp finally going out. But not sure what else it could be? Misfire related to ignition?

My spark plugs are brand new, only about 5k on them. BMW told me my injectors were replaced under the recall several years ago but couldn't tell me what index was currently installed. I believe my coils are original though

Codes: 29E0, 29E1, mixture control
Also 1 shadow code keeps coming back over the past couple months, not sure if related as this one pops up even without noticeable performance effected: 2FDB, crankshaft positioning sensor, signal not plausible

No recent mods aside from catback exhaust swap and redoing vac hoses. Car is currently running MHD1+

I dumped a bottle of techron into my tank about 5 gas fills ago. Not sure if that's a contributing factor

Planning on doing a log later tonight to get some solid data to look at.

Last edited by ky0u; 07-05-2020 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 10:50 PM   #2
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Mixture codes can be related to Injectors or Pre-cat o2 sensors