F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Is backbox delete MOT fail?
ARMA SPEED

07-03-2020, 05:43 AM   #1
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Is backbox delete MOT fail?

As per title, under the new MOT rules is a backbox delete an MOT fail? I've been told it's been changed to you must have the required number of silencers for your car.

For those who have had it done have you now run into any issues come MOT time?

I've only got the single exhaust on my 320D and wanting to convert it to a twin tip. Custom exhaust shop recommends a backbox delete but if it's illegal then I will go for the BMW retrofit instead where you just cut the single tailpipe off and clamp on the twin tips.
      07-03-2020, 05:45 AM   #2
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez_7 View Post
As per title, under the new MOT rules is a backbox delete an MOT fail? I've been told it's been changed to you must have the required number of silencers for your car.

For those who have had it done have you now run into any issues come MOT time?

I've only got the single exhaust on my 320D and wanting to convert it to a twin tip. Custom exhaust shop recommends a backbox delete but if it's illegal then I will go for the BMW retrofit instead where you just cut the single tailpipe off and clamp on the twin tips.
I had the BMW twin pipe retrofit on my F31. Never had any issues at the MOT.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 06:11 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

No, it's not parts of the emissions controls so it won't have any effect on the MOT as long as the car is within noise limits.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:43 AM   #4
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I know the retrofit won't be a problem as the back box will remain however I would prefer to go custom so I can choose my own tips to be welded on as I want black instead of stainless steel. The only issue is though if I go custom then the shop want to delete the backbox altogether.

I know it shouldn't be a problem for noise or emissions but apparently you must now have the required number of silencers for your car so without the backbox I guess it would technically fail?
      07-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #5
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
No, it's not parts of the emissions controls so it won't have any effect on the MOT as long as the car is within noise limits.
And that’s where the fun starts as it’s upto the not tester to decide if the car is noticeably louder than a stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Alpina D4 has no back box, not sure an MOT station can look up "how many" silencers should be fitted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Watsey6426.00
      07-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D Xdrive M Sport

I had my rear silencer deleted in May, I asked my MOT guy before I had it done and he said NO problem as the cat and resonator were still in place and it didn't affect emissions and didn't do much for noise anyway so back box delete is fine

The Alpina above has a lot of pipework on show, if I was sat in a car behind it, that's all I would see, which is why I had the pipework on mine redirected up into the cavity where the rear silencer was so anyone sat behind me only sees the tips, plus the pipework is sprayed in heat resistant black paint
Attached Images

07-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Alpina D4 has no back box, not sure an MOT station can look up "how many" silencers should be fitted.
I take your point, but doesn't every ordinary car, such as the OP's 320d, have a back box from the factory?
Appreciate 1
Fez_766.50
      07-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #9
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez_7 View Post
The only issue is though if I go custom then the shop want to delete the backbox altogether.
Remind the place that 'The customer is always right'. Doesn't matter what they want to do, it's entirely possible to do it the other way
Appreciate 1
Fez_766.50
      07-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

The MOT deals with emissions and whether there are holes or corrosion on the exhaust and excessive smoke, not noise, otherwise all the McClaren's, Lambo's and Ferrari's etc would never pass a MOT due to excessive noise.

I've never known the silencers be counted on any of my cars and I watch the MOT being done, to the extent that I'm under the car with the guy when he's checking it on the lift

But I'm not an expert
      07-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #11
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

If going custom, then an extra small box at the back, or at the pipe split will count as a silencer won't it?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #12
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the responses, seems like its up to the testers discretion then so don't know whether it's worth the risk.

Safest bet will be the BMW retrofit. Has anyone with standard twin tips (I think 70mm / 2.75") found any black or carbon sleeves to fit over the stainless steel tips, or is this not possible?

Alternative option will be to go custom but ask them to keep the backbox or make a new one?
      07-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #13
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

You can buy an exhaust system , dual tips with a back box like the Cobra system, but be prepared to pay £500-600 plus fitting, mine is legal and meets all MOT criteria for less than a third ( £180 ) of that, mine isn't noisy, just a slightly deeper tone.

It's horses for courses, do whatever you feel is right, I did