F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Which control arm is this
Extreme Powerhouse

06-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
chriscruz7411
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Which control arm is this

2013 BMW F30 ActiveHybrid 3 RWD. So I was driving on the freeway and when I went over a bump/dip, my car would steer side to side, fishtailing on the freeway. When I got home I jacked up the car and found a snapped control arm. I called BMW and they told me there were 4-5 control arms in the rear, and I was unsure which one I needed.

I looked at realoem, and me not knowing too much about suspension, couldn't decipher the differences in which control arm is which.

Can someone tell me which rear control arm I need to purchase? This is for the rear right side. Also, does anyone have any torque specs for how tight this should be?

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Last edited by chriscruz7411; 06-25-2020 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscruz7411 View Post
2013 BMW F30 ActiveHybrid 3 RWD. So I was driving on the freeway and when I went over a bump/dip, my car would steer side to side, fishtailing on the freeway. When I got home I jacked up the car and found a snapped control arm. I called BMW and they told me there were 4-5 control arms in the rear, and I was unsure which one I needed.

I looked at realoem, and me not knowing too much about suspension, couldn't decipher the differences in which control arm is which.

Can someone tell me which rear control arm I need to purchase? This is for the rear right side. Also, does anyone have any torque specs for how tight this should be?

Thanks for the help!
Check newtis website for torque specs. Usually Lemforder makes them for BMW and you can buy Lemforder cheaper from a place like FCP Euro. BMW and Lemforder part numbers are usually the same.

Get under there and clean off the broken part. There are numbers on the casting that should help to identify it
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Would help more if we saw what it was connected to. Assuming this is in the rear?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
It's kind of hard to tell which arm it is since the photos only show the arm and not where the arm is in relation to the rest of the rear suspension.

That said, I'm guessing it's your rear trailing arm. If it is that part it's pretty easy to replace on your own and you can check out my video below for an overview of the control arms and how to replace the one you need (including torque specs). The video description (on Youtube) also has part numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Index
0:00 Intro
0:29 Wheels and covers removal
0:46 Rear suspension arms overview
3:13 Trailing arm removal and installation
7:33 Positioning the wheel carrier assembly in the "normal" position
9:37 Traction strut removal and installation
13:21 Wishbone arm removal and installation
18:40 Toe arm removal and installation
22:18 Covers, lines, and wheels installation
22:51 Alignment change after arms swap

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

wow! was there any other damage? I would have never guessed that trailing arm would break that way...crazy

Last edited by brigade24; 06-26-2020 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

You got good air on that bump you hit. Damn that shit crazy
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 11:42 AM   #7
chriscruz7411
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
It's kind of hard to tell which arm it is since the photos only show the arm and not where the arm is in relation to the rest of the rear suspension.

That said, I'm guessing it's your rear trailing arm. If it is that part it's pretty easy to replace on your own and you can check out my video below for an overview of the control arms and how to replace the one you need (including torque specs). The video description (on Youtube) also has part numbers.
Hi, thank you for the video! It was actually very helpful and I do believe it is the trailing arm. I was wondering if you noticed any difference with the Megan racing trailing arm. If I just upgraded this control arm without upgrading any others, do you think I would notice a difference? Or should I just get the Delphi you linked on amazon?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:59 PM   #8
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscruz7411 View Post
Hi, thank you for the video! It was actually very helpful and I do believe it is the trailing arm. I was wondering if you noticed any difference with the Megan racing trailing arm. If I just upgraded this control arm without upgrading any others, do you think I would notice a difference? Or should I just get the Delphi you linked on amazon?
I'm still working on my overview/impressions video of the Megan arms, but the short answer is they don't make a difference for daily driving. I wouldn't recommend spending the extra money on them unless you're doing HPDEs and AutoX (and even then the improvement is subtle).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0