F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake bleeding - do i have to cycle it through ABS?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Brake bleeding - do i have to cycle it through ABS?

last year before a track day, i swapped the brake fluid over to some Motul 660, used my brake bleeding kit, went and did the track day, all ended well.

afterwards the car went in and as part of another ongoing issue i'd had, they gave me a free brake fluid service (without telling me first....was supposed to be a nice gesture).

anyways, i told them i hadn't wanted it and i had expensive stuff in there, after some apologies they mentioned that in order to bleed the brakes properly, it has to be run through the computer so it flushes through the ABS pump.

Now....i wasn't aware of this, and the car performed fine on track, no issues with brakes in terms of pressure.
So - do i actually need to do it via the computer?
If the answer is a categorical 'yes'...then is there a guide anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The answer is no. You may, but you don't have to. There are ways to fully flush the system with a manual pump. You can find how-to's on youtube. You may even do it the old fashioned way, with one bloke pumping the brakes while another mans the bleeder screws.
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      06-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

No

I just read the manual and it did not mention a computer. Just to bleed them in the proper sequence.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
No

I just read the manual and it did not mention a computer. Just to bleed them in the proper sequence.
FYI- my Bentley manual mentions the ABS. If bubbles get inside the ABS, the computer/analyzer is the only way to shake them off the inside walls.
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      06-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
last year before a track day, i swapped the brake fluid over to some Motul 660, used my brake bleeding kit, went and did the track day, all ended well.

afterwards the car went in and as part of another ongoing issue i'd had, they gave me a free brake fluid service (without telling me first....was supposed to be a nice gesture).

anyways, i told them i hadn't wanted it and i had expensive stuff in there, after some apologies they mentioned that in order to bleed the brakes properly, it has to be run through the computer so it flushes through the ABS pump.

Now....i wasn't aware of this, and the car performed fine on track, no issues with brakes in terms of pressure.
So - do i actually need to do it via the computer?
If the answer is a categorical 'yes'...then is there a guide anywhere?
Bentley manual mentions it so check the newtis website
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      06-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
FYI- my Bentley manual mentions the ABS. If bubbles get inside the ABS, the computer/analyzer is the only way to shake them off the inside walls.
I will have to re-read it. When I read I only see what I want lol

Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      06-25-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

This ensures a full bubble free flush, and has the advantage of being a one man job.
Appreciate 4
johnung4528.00
obert1781.00
      06-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #8
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I have used a motive power bleeder 6 or 7 times now on my cars. I think if you completely drained and refilled the system then you might very well need to have the computer trigger the abs pump. If you are just flushing the fluid and keeping the system fresh I haven't needed to do that yet.
Appreciate 1
gippy230.00
      06-25-2020, 06:26 PM   #9
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
This ensures a full bubble free flush, and has the advantage of being a one man job.
jesus. so look, i apprecaite you replying and trying to help, but did you even read my original post?
if you don't know what i'm asking, please dont spam stuff.

Last edited by gippy; 06-25-2020 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:31 PM   #10
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I have used a motive power bleeder 6 or 7 times now on my cars. I think if you completely drained and refilled the system then you might very well need to have the computer trigger the abs pump. If you are just flushing the fluid and keeping the system fresh I haven't needed to do that yet.
well it would be to swap to my trackday brake fluid, so it would be a drain and refill. by drain and refill, i mean, completely remove whats in there and fill with racing brake fluid.

though i have to ask....what difference are you implying between a complete drain/refill vs flushing fluid through?

EDIT: i've figured out what you mean - complete drain and refill the system = ...just that.
flusing fluid and keeping system fresh = just that (lol) - flushing through to remove any air/moisture build up and topping with new fluid.

am i right?

Last edited by gippy; 06-25-2020 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
jesus. so look, i apprecaite you replying and trying to help, but did you even read my original post?
I read your post and replied to it. I then read a post with a different question from a different person and replied to it. I never spam. Wanker.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #12
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Quote:
well it would be to swap to my trackday brake fluid, so it would be a drain and refill. by drain and refill, i mean, completely remove whats in there and fill with racing brake fluid.

though i have to ask....what difference are you implying between a complete drain/refill vs flushing fluid through?

EDIT: i've figured out what you mean - complete drain and refill the system = ...just that.
flusing fluid and keeping system fresh = just that (lol) - flushing through to remove any air/moisture build up and topping with new fluid.

am i right?
when I am doing a flush for a track day, I am pushing out the old fluid with new fluid via motive power bleeder. So there is never any air introduced into the system. I am sure someone can conceive of a situation where you need to bleed the abs system but I haven't.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 06:17 AM   #13
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You've asked for advice on two different sections of the forum, and several people have replied. The responses have been clear. I suggest you re-read, digest, develop an understanding.

Biting back isn't going to help you solve your problem.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #14
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
You've asked for advice on two different sections of the forum, and several people have replied. The responses have been clear. I suggest you re-read, digest, develop an understanding.

Biting back isn't going to help you solve your problem.
nah. He posted a video about bleeding brakes with a pressure bleeder. It was completely irrelevant to the question i was asking, and especially given that literally in the first sentence of my post it was clear that i was very much up to speed with bleeding brakes in terms of using a bleeder and doing it all myself.

i don't want random spam on the thread, then people start jumping in and giving their opinions about how to bleed brakes......and it becomes a mess.

I was asking a very specific question about the ABS pump and issues around changing brake fluid and not bleeding any old fluid through that pump, given the other forum thread that i'd already been through talking about it.

His first response to me made no sense, given the OP, then he posts a video which he then claimed was in response to someone else.

I'll bite at people who post stupid posts. And i'll apprecaite those who read the post and take the effort to answer what is being asked.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 08:42 AM   #15
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
when I am doing a flush for a track day, I am pushing out the old fluid with new fluid via motive power bleeder. So there is never any air introduced into the system. I am sure someone can conceive of a situation where you need to bleed the abs system but I haven't.
cooll.
yeh like i said i didn't have any issues with the brake response or firmness of the pedal when i flushed it last time before going on track, without running the ISTA abs pump procedure.

I guess i'll skip that step and monitor it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #16
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Brake bleeding - do i have to cycle it through ABS?

If you can't work out, from the several replies on two sections of the forum, that the answer to the question "do I need to cycle the ABS pump when bleeding the brakes" is "no" then you're on your own.

Stop acting like an ungrateful child.

I'm out. Solve your own problems.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
obert1781.00
      06-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #17
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

He got 3 correct answer.... that is plenty of correct answer. Jeezzz.😏
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:48 AM   #18
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you can't work out, from the several replies on two sections of the forum, that the answer to the question "do I need to cycle the ABS pump when bleeding the brakes" is "no" then you're on your own.

........but i have worked it out from the replies. WHy do you get the impression i haven't worked it out?
i've had adequate responses from both threads to decide to not bother going down the ISTA pump route for the time being.

stop strawmanning stuff up to make points.
and i'm not acting like an ungrateful child.......like i said i appreciated and responded to the posts which made sense.

I posted on the UK forum the same question because of the lack of/poor responses i got in the brake forum, and because people who go to the UK forum generally might not visit the general/maintenance sections. The americans decided to have a conversation all on their own about bleeding brakes which had absolutely nothing to do with the specific question i was asking, about bleeding fluid out the ABS pump and how that would effect the system as a whole - which is a pertinent question as its not been asked anywhere, after i googled for a while, which is exactly why i posted it.
If i hadn't wrote that message telling him to stop it would have probably turned into an endless string of 'how to bleed your brakes' to add to the 30 that are already on here.

You for some reason decide to find my post, in the brake forum, read through it, then complain about a completely separate issue where i wrote a short message to some other guy telling him to not bother posting messages about how to bleed brakes.

i think you're the one with the problem

Last edited by gippy; 06-28-2020 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #19
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Quote:

........but i have worked it out from the replies. WHy do you get the impression i haven't worked it out?
i've had adequate responses from both threads to decide to not bother going down the ISTA pump route for the time being.

stop strawmanning stuff up to make points.
and i'm not acting like an ungrateful child.......like i said i appreciated and responded to the posts which made sense.

I posted on the UK forum the same question because of the lack of/poor responses i got in the brake forum, and because people who go to the UK forum generally might not visit the general/maintenance sections. The americans decided to have a conversation all on their own about bleeding brakes which had absolutely nothing to do with the specific question i was asking, about bleeding fluid out the ABS pump and how that would effect the system as a whole - which is a pertinent question as its not been asked anywhere, after i googled for a while, which is exactly why i posted it.
If i hadn't wrote that message telling him to stop it would have probably turned into an endless string of 'how to bleed your brakes' to add to the 30 that are already on here.

You for some reason decide to find my post, in the brake forum, read through it, then complain about a completely separate issue where i wrote a short message to some other guy telling him to not bother posting messages about how to bleed brakes.

i think you're the one with the problem
Just a heads up, this is a public forum, and you are not a moderator. Any and all posts, yours included, are subject to people providing opinions, insight, advice, or whatever f-all they want. Understand that, for the most part, a majority of people here are actually trying to be helpful. Learn to take the chaff with the grain and don't be an arse to those who don't "meet your standards" for a helpful response.