BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #1
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Update 2019.70

Just wondering what the consensus is on 2019.70 update. I have received in car & app notification it is available. I am on 2019.50 & everything is working perfectly in my M50i. Read a few members have has some issues after this upgrade. I know 03.2020 is available at dealers, so .70 sounds like a minor update.

Reading through the notes I see it says a failed update will brick the vehicle, so a little leary. Saw the story of the X7 guy who bricked his in a parking lot doing the update.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Yeah I saw that story as well and the first thought that crossed my mind was to do the update while my car is parked in the dealer’s parking lot.

I’m on the same software version as you as that was what was installed on my car. I haven’t received any CD or in-car notification to update yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Just wondering what the consensus is on 2019.70 update. I have received in car & app notification it is available. I am on 2019.50 & everything is working perfectly in my M50i. Read a few members have has some issues after this upgrade. I know 03.2020 is available at dealers, so .70 sounds like a minor update.

Reading through the notes I see it says a failed update will brick the vehicle, so a little leary. Saw the story of the X7 guy who bricked his in a parking lot doing the update.
Mine is installing as I type this. It is a major update not a minor one, major updates come out in March, July and November and the current OTA update is 11/2019.70.

I'm taking mine in for the 20k service in a few weeks so we will see if they update me to 03/2020.xx or if they just figure that I got the OTA and I'm good.

Edit: To clarify, it is a major update if you are already not on 11/2019.xx. I was on 07/2019.55 so a major one for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Mine is installing as I type this. It is a major update not a minor one, major updates come out in March, July and November and the current OTA update is 11/2019.70.

I'm taking mine in for the 20k service in a few weeks so we will see if they update me to 03/2020.xx or if they just figure that I got the OTA and I'm good.

Edit: To clarify, it is a major update if you are already not on 11/2019.xx. I was on 07/2019.55 so a major one for me.
I agree, depends what firmware your currently on as far as minor or major upgrade. The release notes are completely vague as as to what the changes are. I know version 03/2020 is at dealer's, but don't know what that includes either. Love to hear from any guys who have completed the upgrade as to what difference they are seeing.
Just a little reluctant as the notes casually say if the programming fails vehicle will not start. I don't want to fix what's not broken!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #5
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I agree, depends what firmware your currently on as far as minor or major upgrade. The release notes are completely vague as as to what the changes are. I know version 03/2020 is at dealer's, but don't know what that includes either. Love to hear from any guys who have completed the upgrade as to what difference they are seeing.
Just a little reluctant as the notes casually say if the programming fails vehicle will not start. I don't want to fix what's not broken!
I am a guy that hacks around "stuff" and the X5 all the time and I would propose to NOT update by default unless you EXPLICITLY know why you want/need to update. BMW are not very good at non-driveline software quality to say the least, hence my suggestion. I am on 11/2019.40 and it's working well for me and I have no intention of updating to anything currently more recent as I've heard zero reason to do so (with coding; without coding I would be chomping at the bit to update). At this point, I don't see getting updated to anything less than 07/2020.xx when those start to roll and maybe not even then depending on functionality or improvements discovered.
      06-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
I am a guy that hacks around "stuff" and the X5 all the time and I would propose to NOT update by default unless you EXPLICITLY know why you want/need to update. BMW are not very good at non-driveline software quality to say the least, hence my suggestion. I am on 11/2019.40 and it's working well for me and I have no intention of updating to anything currently more recent as I've heard zero reason to do so (with coding; without coding I would be chomping at the bit to update). At this point, I don't see getting updated to anything less than 07/2020.xx when those start to roll and maybe not even then depending on functionality or improvements discovered.
This is my position as well. If it’s not broke, I am not updating “just because”. We have been down this road before and unless it’s a significant upgrade for new features, no way am I going to be a beta tester.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      06-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #7
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Yup, I agree with you guys. Think I'm going to ignore it. Especially given I have no dam idea what the update is. I also don't know if it will blow my coding. (Bimmercode with OBD Link MX+)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Yup, I agree with you guys. Think I'm going to ignore it. Especially given I have no dam idea what the update is. I also don't know if it will blow my coding. (Bimmercode with OBD Link MX+)
You will lose all of your coding when you take an OTA.

So far things are fine with mine after the update. I'm on the other side of the coin from most here, I will take every update I can when it is offered. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

I once did a firmware update on my, one year old, Husqvarna garden mower. The thing completely lost it after the update. Did not charge, got lost, rebooted randomly, would mow the exact same spots over and over again, etc..

After shipping it to their service center, I received a brand new one!

Will BMW do the same?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #10
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You will lose all of your coding when you take an OTA.

So far things are fine with mine after the update. I'm on the other side of the coin from most here, I will take every update I can when it is offered. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Thanks good to know about the coding. I don't agree on taking every update when offered. Learned for computer experience to wait after updates are released, often there are issues, some can be serious. Often revised updates are issued. I say at least wait a while to see feedback. And again even BMW admits in it's own release notes a failed update will brink the vehicle. That's serious!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks good to know about the coding. I don't agree on taking every update when offered. Learned for computer experience to wait after updates are released, often there are issues, some can be serious. Often revised updates are issued. I say at least wait a while to see feedback. And again even BMW admits in it's own release notes a failed update will brink the vehicle. That's serious!
But these updates have been in the field for many months. The OTAs are on a current minus one major version schedule so you will always be getting software that has been in release for quite awhile.

They have to put the brick statement in there for legal reasons. The chances of it happen appear to be remote given the feedback we have received so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #12
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
They have to put the brick statement in there for legal reasons. The chances of it happen appear to be remote given the feedback we have received so far.
Well there is at least one report of a bricked car due to OTA update on the forum. That's not widespread or a cause for panic of the entire customer base, but one on a forum is plenty enough for something this serious.

Didn't the dealer even brick your car with a firmware update and caused you to postpone your scheduled vacation trips for many weeks?
      06-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #13
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Well there is at least one report of a bricked car due to OTA update on the forum. That's not widespread or a cause for panic of the entire customer base, but one on a forum is plenty enough for something this serious.

Didn't the dealer even brick your car with a firmware update and caused you to postpone your scheduled vacation trips for many weeks?
Yes, that one report was the one I was referring to. We don't know for sure it was from the OTA but even if it was, other than to the owner it does not constitute a serious issue given how many OTAs have been done since the beginning of the year.

No, my vehicle was never brick. There was a problem with ATT and CDs servers not synching so I didn't have services.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #14
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
But these updates have been in the field for many months. The OTAs are on a current minus one major version schedule so you will always be getting software that has been in release for quite awhile.

Good point about the minor update being out for some time. But my
Basic question remains - what the hell is in it? I don’t want to take a chance + blow my coding when I Don’t know what I’m updating. And the guy with the bricked X7 M50i who got dragged onto a flatbed would probably say more than legal reasons!
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 07:32 PM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Basic question remains - what the hell is in it? I don’t want to take a chance + blow my coding when I Don’t know what I’m updating.
There is a list of things including something like a generic bug/feature update. In my case the big thing was the ability to get the drive recorder. I remember Spotify being another option that was noted. The release notes don't really tell you much but you may want to check them out.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #16
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
There is a list of things including something like a generic bug/feature update. In my case the big thing was the ability to get the drive recorder. I remember Spotify being another option that was noted. The release notes don't really tell you much but you may want to check them out.
Yes I did check out the notes carefully. Completely devoid of any specifics. And in my case having 2019.50 on a M50 I have drive recorder standard, as well as Spotify. That is my point, if there was something worth upgrading for I would be more inclined.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #17
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:

Basic question remains - what the hell is in it? I don't want to take a chance + blow my coding when I Don't know what I'm updating. And the guy with the bricked X7 M50i who got dragged onto a flatbed would probably say more than legal reasons!
You'll have a chance to review the release notes before proceeding with the upgrade. It is pretty detailed. This release has like 9-10 pages on my iPhone. The same info is available in the car.
Attached Images

06-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #18
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Yes I did check out the notes carefully. Completely devoid of any specifics. And in my case having 2019.50 I have drive recorder standard, as well as Spotify. That is my point, if there was something worth upgrading for I would be more inclined.
In your case you probably would not get any new features since you are already on the same major version. Once things cycle through and the OTAs are available three times a year then it probably will pay to do each update since there will be new options/features in each major version. That said though, I don't remember what was introduced in 03/2020 but 07/2020 and 11/2020 are both supposed to introduce additions to the driving assistance system.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #19
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
it does not constitute a serious issue given how many OTAs have been done since the beginning of the year.
And how many OTAs has that been? Do you have some inside information that shows the number of OTAs that have been done here in the US? Based on what we've seen on this forum there hasn't been very many OTA updates to justify your statement unless you know something that the rest of us don't.

As far as what's worth updating and what's not, I think that's an individual call on what's worth the risk. That being said, I'm willing to take the risk for what's been said will be in the next major update for iStep version 07/2020.xx which is Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #20
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
And how many OTAs has that been? Do you have some inside information that shows the number of OTAs that have been done here in the US? Based on what we've seen on this forum there hasn't been very many OTA updates to justify your statement unless you know something that the rest of us don't.
I'm basing my statement on the entire data set of OTAs not just the US. They have been going on in Australia, the UK and Europe since the beginning of the year. I would think maybe 20 or 30k updates but even if it was just 1,000 in total having heard of one go bad is not statistically significant whatsoever. If this was happening on a regular basis we would have heard about it long before that one guy had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #21
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
I'm basing my statement on the entire data set of OTAs not just the US. They have been going on in Australia, the UK and Europe since the beginning of the year. I would think maybe 20 or 30k updates but even if it was just 1,000 in total having heard of one go bad is not statistically significant whatsoever. If this was happening on a regular basis we would have heard about it long before that one guy had a problem.
Different countries and different options. Based on OTA updates only, here in the US, with US specific options, 1 bricked vehicle out of a handful of OTA updates we've seen on this forum equates to a pretty high percentage of bricked vehicles due to OTA updates.

I don't think you can include other countries due to the different options and configurations between countries. After all, it could be a specific option in a specific ECU/Hardware that failed which isn't available in other countries. To many unknown variables to lump all countries into the same mix in regards to OTA updates.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #22
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Different countries and different options. Based on OTA updates only, here in the US, with US specific options, 1 bricked vehicle out of a handful of OTA updates we've seen on this forum equates to a pretty high percentage of bricked vehicles due to OTA updates.

I don't think you can include other countries due to the different options and configurations between countries. After all, it could be a specific option in a specific ECU/Hardware that failed which isn't available in other countries. To many unknown variables to lump all countries into the same mix in regards to OTA updates.
You are certainly welcome to take that stance. I don't happen to subscribe to that logic given how the software is written and updated since it is the same for all countries and just configuration differences from everything we have seen.
Appreciate 0