BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-21-2020, 02:40 AM   #1
Ibby
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d M Sport (G05)

G05 manual rear tailgate

Hi all I'm a new member on here and picked up my G05 from the dealers yesterday (2019 x30d m sport).

Was just wanting to ask a question about the lower section of the tailgate. Should the lower tailgate open and close automatically or is it an option that doesnt seem to be added by the original owner of my car?

When using the key, the top section of the tailgate opens and closes electronically however the lower section remains closed. When looking at the section of the lower tailgate there are two buttons. One of them to open the tailgate and another button (presumably to lower the car if for loading if required). When pressing the first button to open the lower tailgate it unlocks it and then doesnt move any further (I then have to push it down with my hands). When pressing the button again on the lower tailgate it doesnt move and I have to manually close it myself to then enable the upper section to close.

I am thinking therefore that for the lower tailgate to be electric is an option? If so for such an expensive car is a bit of a joke but wont bother me a massive amount as I cant see myself having to open the lower tailgate all that much.

Any help is much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 02:55 AM   #2
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

It is a setting on idrive. You can choose for both tailgates to open, or just the upper one.

I actually chose to keep the lower one closed, because groceries would fall out the back if I opened it while parked on a hill. Lol.

Easy fix.
Appreciate 2
M40i4me1037.00
volodp198.00
      06-21-2020, 03:50 AM   #3
Ibby
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
It is a setting on idrive. You can choose for both tailgates to open, or just the upper one.

I actually chose to keep the lower one closed, because groceries would fall out the back if I opened it while parked on a hill. Lol.

Easy fix.
Is the lower tailgate electric then as standard?. Could you point me to where the option is to change this please? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 04:15 AM   #4
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

The G05 introduced electric lower tailgate as standard across all models.

Settings > Doors/Vehicle Access > Tailgate, then set both upper & lower.

Enjoy the new ride, the 30d is an awesome vehicle !
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2020, 04:34 AM   #5
Ibby
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
The G05 introduced electric lower tailgate as standard across all models.

Settings > Doors/Vehicle Access > Tailgate, then set both upper & lower.

Enjoy the new ride, the 30d is an awesome vehicle !
Thank you so much. Will give it a go! I am assuming then once option is selected and you press the physical button on the lower tailgate, it should then go back up and close when I press to close the upper tailgate? Sorry for all the questions - I have just come from a G30 and the options and menus on the G05 is staggering!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 04:45 AM   #6
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
Thank you so much. Will give it a go! I am assuming then once option is selected and you press the physical button on the lower tailgate, it should then go back up and close when I press to close the upper tailgate? Sorry for all the questions - I have just come from a G30 and the options and menus on the G05 is staggering!
That's correct, pressing any of the physical buttons will now open/close both the upper and lower tailgates.

Another trick, if you get into coding via Bimmercode, is you can enable quick press closing. When you lift the tailgate button on the driver side arm-rest console or press the remote control to close the tailgate, you usually have to hold-down the buttons for the duration of the closing. By enabling this feature you only need a quick press of either and the tailgate closes all the way.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 04:59 AM   #7
Ibby
Rep

This is yet another daft question. How do I obtain bimmercode and upload to the vehicle? Many thanks again
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:02 AM   #8
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

It is a setting to open it with the upper part. But it should open electric with the button on the lower part to. So if you pushed it and it didn't open then it seems damaged.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:08 AM   #9
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
This is yet another daft question. How do I obtain bimmercode and upload to the vehicle? Many thanks again
Bimmercode is a Smartphone App, downloadable from Google Playstore or Apple iStore - depending on what phone you have.
It enables you to configure/enable/disabled vehicle features which are hidden in iDrive7 menu's. You will see lot's of threads on this forum that people refer to as "coding".

You will also need an OBD Adapter (Bluetooth) to plug into the car's OBD port which is in the drivers footwell just above the hood release leaver.

Find out more at: https://bimmercode.app/
The site also has recommended OBD Adapters, just make sure you choose one for G Series vehicles.

You can then enable/disable features that are hidden in the iDrive7 menus. For example, I've:
1. Enabled Auto Stop-Start (ASS) memory - which is permanently disabled for me.
2. Disabled the Warning messages at startup - you get on the Head control unit when you enter the car.
3. Enabled Advanced Driving View (ADV).
4. Enabled "Adaptive" as default Driving mode (in lieu of Comfort).
5. Enabled Sports+ Driving mode - since 30d's come from the factory with Sports/Comfort/Eco and Adaptive modes only.
...plus a few others that I can't recall right now...

There's a whole thread category for coding, have a look and knock yourself out !
Appreciate 1
bandersen590.00
      06-21-2020, 06:26 AM   #10
Ibby
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhe View Post
It is a setting to open it with the upper part. But it should open electric with the button on the lower part to. So if you pushed it and it didn't open then it seems damaged.
This was my original fear. Will play about with it and book it into dealers again if so
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #11
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

I believe the lower part of the tailgate is only automatic on 2019 if you specified comfort pack,ie you have the comfort seats and not the standard ones. My lower tailgate is not automatic. I only had tech pack and m sport plus pack.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #12
Ibby
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro55 View Post
I believe the lower part of the tailgate is only automatic on 2019 if you specified comfort pack,ie you have the comfort seats and not the standard ones. My lower tailgate is not automatic. I only had tech pack and m sport plus pack.
I dont have the comfort pack either. So in your vehicle you press the button and it unlocks and you have to then manually open and close it?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 08:03 AM   #13
BMW_Cyprus
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Looking forward to G05 X5

With comfort access option you can:
Lower tailgate with button without pushing it down manually.
Raise tailgate with button without pushing it up manually.
Setup through idrive what happens when you kick to open, press open trunk button on key and press trunk release in the driver side door handle

Without comfort access option:
Tailgate button only releases (unlatches) the tailgate
Lowering and raising needs manual action
No options on key or driver side door handle button to configure lower part of tailgate

Above is in Europe in most of the countries (at least in UK).
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 08:20 AM   #14
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Cyprus View Post
With comfort access option you can:
Lower tailgate with button without pushing it down manually.
Raise tailgate with button without pushing it up manually.
Setup through idrive what happens when you kick to open, press open trunk button on key and press trunk release in the driver side door handle

Without comfort access option:
Tailgate button only releases (unlatches) the tailgate
Lowering and raising needs manual action
No options on key or driver side door handle button to configure lower part of tailgate

Above is in Europe in most of the countries (at least in UK).
There are some posts on this. It is really rare to find one without electric lower tailgate part but you seem to have found one. This is not something you typically look at when you buy the car and I agree you kind of think it would be standard.

Like mentioned, no comfort acces, no electric lower tailgate.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #15
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Its not rare in the uk. I would say 70% are made without the comfort access option. A lot are not made to order but just for dealer stock to sell on as new of course but you limit the options the car has.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #16
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Its not rare in the uk. I would say 70% are made without the comfort access option. A lot are not made to order but just for dealer stock to sell on as new of course but you limit the options the car has.
Ok I didn't know that. Thanks. In Belgium it is part of business pack plus. It also includes metallic paint, leather, seat heating, comfort seats and some other stuff so I think most of buyers chose at least this package. And in Belgium most buyers configure their car and don't buy it if the lot.

In the US comfort acces is a standard feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #17
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Most of above post are incorrect. You need the comfort pack to have both tailgates electrically opening/closing. Without it, top is electric, bottom is manual
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #18
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sjak92
You are correct but if you read from my post onwards you are just agreeing with what we have said.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 10:04 AM   #19
Ibby
Rep

Quote:

Thank you for this informative post. After checking the menu there isnt anything on there for me to configure the lower tailgate. This means its manual which I am ok with as I cant see me using it much (so long as I know it shouldn't be electric so dont need to go to dealers with it!)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #20
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Hmm I have a new UK M50i and the lower section opens with the touch of the button but only unlocks. You have to physically flick the lower gate down.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #21
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Quote:
Hmm I have a new UK M50i and the lower section opens with the touch of the button but only unlocks. You have to physically flick the lower gate down.
So you don't have comfort acces either I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #22
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
So you don't have comfort acces either I suppose.
Correct. Didn’t spec it deliberately owing to the spate of CA related thefts in the U.K. That would make sense now why it’s not electric. Cheers.
Appreciate 1
sjak92149.50