BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
Jwong
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5 40i mSport

Lightbulb HELP PLEASE: Having two SUVs, too many?

Need advice from the community.

I have two kids (2 and 5) and the wife wants a 3rd. I just* bought a X5 40i without the third row, and then she told me the news.

Now I'm stressing because our second car is a 5 series that can't fit a third child seat so i'll need to sell it and replace with another vehicle instead.

I'm considering replacing with a second SUV (6-7 seater) such as the X7 or XC90, but am wondering whether two SUVs is too many, and if there's better options out there. My concerns are related to practicality, space in the garage, etc.

Do you own two or more SUVs? If so, which models? What do you recommend for 6-7 seaters? Any pictures of the third row would be really helpful too if you have.

Are there better alternatives besides owning 2 SUVs I should consider?

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
hksr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

lol! Your wife should have told you to hold off on the X5 or at least mentioned how handy a 3rd row would be haha.

I don't have 3 kids, but I have a 6 month old and a 2 year old right now. Getting my ducks in a row (leases in a row) to move into an X7 in 4 years when my girls are 4 and 6 plus my mom moving in. In the meantime, I'm putting a deposit down for an X5 with 3rd row later this week.

There's no issues having 2 SUVs IMO. In fact, I'll probably settle in on an X7 and a smaller SUV for around town (ie. X3M or X5) in 4 years. The more space the better when you have a family... especially in your case with 3 kids!
Appreciate 1
Jwong10.00
      06-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwong View Post

I have two kids (2 and 5) and the wife wants a 3rd. I just* bought a X5 40i without the third row, and then she told me the news.

Now I'm stressing because our second car is a 5 series that can't fit a third child seat so i'll need to sell it and replace with another vehicle instead.

I'm considering replacing with a second SUV (6-7 seater) such as the X7 or XC90, but am wondering whether two SUVs is too many, and if there's better options out there. My concerns are related to practicality, space in the garage, etc.

Do you own two or more SUVs? If so, which models? What do you recommend for 6-7 seaters? Any pictures of the third row would be really helpful too if you have.

Thanks for sharing!
You're probably not gonna like this but.. .. get a minivan for kid transportation. Kids are kids, they destroy things and you need to carry a lot of their baggage which also does its fair job of marking up the interior of cars. Imagine a trip, two adults, three kids and all the belongings that goes with that.

Personally, I hate minivans but had three of them during the kid years and always had a BMW, or two, as well. The kids got the minivan, when they are that young they don't care what car you put them in and will treat any car equally as harsh. Today's minivans aren't as crude as they were when my kids were young and they have all the expected safety features and creature comforts and cost much less than a luxo SUV and you won't freak when you notice it getting beat up and you and your wife will keep your sanity from not disciplining the kids all the time, just let them be kids, its a great time of their life.

When the kids grow up a bit and you see that they are responsible, then you can change out your minivan for something nice. I'll tell you something else aside from the freedom a minivan will give you, you will feel great every time you walk up to your X5 and see it nice and clean inside and out. After all, as a parent you deserve something nice to look forward to.
Appreciate 8
X5 45e1090.50
LexxM31698.50
TSMC55126.50
Cooltones241.00
Jwong10.00
      06-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:

Thanks for sharing!
Haha first world problems.

Some have to do everything with only a Ford Fiesta and they survive.

😜
Appreciate 4
osteome194.50
hksr149.50
A6bullet337.00
      06-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
hksr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
You're probably not gonna like this but.. .. get a minivan for kid transportation. Kids are kids, they destroy things and you need to carry a lot of their baggage which also does its fair job of marking up the interior of cars. Imagine a trip, two adults, three kids and all the belongings that goes with that.

Personally, I hate minivans but had three of them during the kid years and always had a BMW, or two, as well. The kids got the minivan, when they are that young they don't care what car you put them in and will treat any car equally as harsh. Today's minivans aren't as crude as they were when my kids were young and they have all the expected safety features and creature comforts and cost much less than a luxo SUV and you won't freak when you notice it getting beat up and you and your wife will keep your sanity from not disciplining the kids all the time, just let them be kids, its a great time of their life.

When the kids grow up a bit and you see that they are responsible, then you can change out your minivan for something nice. I'll tell you something else aside from the freedom a minivan will give you, you will feel great every time you walk up to your X5 and see it nice and clean inside and out. After all, as a parent you deserve something nice to look forward to.
So true. I just can't stomach driving a minivan, although my wife has said she'd be fine with it. If my wife goes the minivan route, I'm trading in for an X5M the next day lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #6
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

First, congratulations on your growing family. Its a challenging but rewarding time of life. Enjoy every moment.

I have two possible solutions for you.

Option 1

There are car seats designed to fit 3 across.

This one is 17" wide at its widest. Measure your back seat and see if would handle it. If so, problem solved for about $600.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FGKBTD9...rseats-20&th=1

Option 2

That is, unless you really want a reason to buy an X7. Then say, "Honey, I've done the research and the only vehicle that meets our needs is the new X7. It will be great since the interior is the same and all the buttons are in the same place. By the way honey, I'm going to be ordering the larger engine on the X7 because these kids will be growing and all that added weight might be too much for the smaller engine. I'm just trying to plan ahead for the family and do the right thing."

Option 2 will run a little more.
Appreciate 6
X5 45e1090.50
Jwong10.00
screamace303.50
Cooltones241.00
      06-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #7
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

��
So how is your €100,000+ SUV, surviving? Don't forget, North American prices are way cheaper than in Europe, for the price of your car he could easily buy 2 SUV's over there...

On topic, FWIW a minivan will likely take up the same garage space as another SUV, it just depends how much you hate minivans! I do agree with others in that whilst the kids are young and likely to trash the car on the inside, a minivan would work out better....

I know you guys didn't get this model over there but this was ours when our 3 were small:
Attached Images

Last edited by ems328i; 06-16-2020 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
Jwong10.00
      06-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #8
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
First, congratulations on your growing family. Its a challenging but rewarding time of life. Enjoy every moment.

I have two possible solutions for you.

Option 1

There are car seats designed to fit 3 across.

This one is 17" wide at its widest. Measure your back seat and see if would handle it. If so, problem solved for about $600.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FGKBTD9?tag=mlb-narrow-carseats-20&th=1

Option 2

That is, unless you really want a reason to buy an X7. Then say, "Honey, I've done the research and the only vehicle that meets our needs is the new X7. It will be great since the interior is the same and all the buttons are in the same place. By the way honey, I'm going to be ordering the larger engine on the X7 because these kids will be growing and all that added weight might be too much for the smaller engine. I'm just trying to plan ahead for the family and do the right thing."

Option 2 will run a little more.
Options 2 sounds great to convince your wife.

You can even make it irresistible by adding some safety faetures
Appreciate 1
Jwong10.00
      06-16-2020, 12:47 PM   #9
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post
Quote:

😜
So how is your €100,000+ SUV, surviving? Don't forget, North American prices are way cheaper than in Europe, for the price of your car he could easily buy 2 SUV's over there...
Not judging. Just a funny remark.

I am not ashamed to drive a 110 K euro car. I work hard for it. And I don't judge others if they want to drive even more expensive one or two.

So if somebody wants to have 2 SUV's I am fine with it. But you can't deny that it's a first world problem. ✌️
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11420.50
      06-16-2020, 12:51 PM   #10
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:

I am not ashamed to drive a 110 K euro car. I work hard for it. And I don't judge others if they want to drive even more expensive one or two.

So if somebody wants to have 2 SUV's I am fine with it. But you can't deny that it's a first world problem. ✌️
Which is fair enough, but it does come across judgemental when you say some people manage with a Fiesta, we don't all have that spending power....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post
Quote:

Which is fair enough, but it does come across judgemental when you say some people manage with a Fiesta, we don't all have that spending power....
No likewise I don't judge people driving a fiesta either.

A Ford Fiesta is a smaller car that why I compared it with having two large SUV's.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #12
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

My wife traded in her VW Passat and bought a small SUV (Hyundai Tucson Ltd), when we rescued an English Mastiff pup. (Who is now 200+ lbs). We also have 2 kids.... 13 and 6.

I found that her car, was ALWAYS the "family" car whenever we would go anywhere together, so when we moved to Belgium, and I learned what 3rd world roads are really like on a 3 series, I decided I wanted something with a more "luxurious" ride that didn't give me headaches.

I was looking at large performance/luxury sedans at first, but then made the conscious decision to buy a 2nd SUV to help share some of that "family" duty. I've always been very selfish when it comes to my cars. In my 45 years on this planet, and 60+ vehicles I've owned.... it was the first time I've ever considered my family when buying a car.

But.... I'll always be an enthusiast. If I was going to buy an SUV...... I was going to buy a bad-ass SUV... and make it even more bad-ass. I haven't had a car yet that I didn't start tearing apart and modifying within days of purchasing it. This one was no exception. I know myself well enough, that if I get "bored" with a car, I'll end up trading it in 6 months later.

In the end..... no regrets. Two perfectly useable family cars... big enough for the whole family and our house-donkey. I can even pull my motorcycle if I need to..... and it's quick enough, that I can even have fun in it too. And..... I keep a child seat in the back full time. No shame. Let someone give me crap about it..... cause they're going to get their asses handed to them by a car with a baby seat in the back. That HAS to be humiliating.... lol

My only advice.... is to make sure that you actually "like" whatever you buy. If you end up considering "only" the family, and buying "the most practical vehicle" imaginable...... you'll end up in jean shorts, crocs, and a tucked-in plaid button-down..... driving a minivan, and watching your manhood shrivel up and attach themselves internally to your new-found set of ovaries. Then, you'll end up blaming the wife & kids for it. That's not fair to them, or yourself. Get something you'll love... but that also works for the fam.

Congrats by the way!

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 06-16-2020 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
Jwong10.00
      06-16-2020, 01:41 PM   #13
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

My husband and I each have an SUV, it is the form factor that works best for us right now with 2 kids (10 and 4). I have a new one on order, and he is going to take my G01. If you are in the US, no one will care about you owning 2 SUVs, that is pretty much the main family vehicle. Also, buy what will make you and your wife happy, who cares what others think.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 1
Jwong10.00
      06-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #14
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
We *had* two SUV's at one point. Three kids and a full size dog.

We've also had a minivan and I don't wish that on anyone although they are practical.

My suggestion is to consider the age separation of your kids. As they get older, the seating problem becomes more of 'social distance' than answering the question of whether or not you can fit three car seats. There are car seats that will work three across in the X5. Family trips become tight in the X5 with a dog and three kids but I've done it too (in an E53 X5).

As the kids get older you may want a third row to help preserve peace on road trips from little hands invading personal space. This is where a third row X5 would work or even better, the X7.

I wouldn't do the minivan ever again but I would consider one if it had a privacy partition between the front seats and the rear.
Appreciate 1
Jwong10.00
      06-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #15
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:

1. Do you own two or more SUVs? 2. If so, which models? 3. What do you recommend for 6-7 seaters? Any pictures of the third row would be really helpful too if you have.

4. Are there better alternatives besides owning 2 SUVs I should consider?

Thanks for sharing!
1. Yes.
2. X5 40i x2 (MY2020).
3. As bad as I hate to say it, the new Q7. Or if you wanted to go big, the X7, depending on how usable you want the third row to be. I'd pass on the XC90.
4. Minivan, as others mentioned.

Just my opinion.
Appreciate 1
Jwong10.00
      06-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #16
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I told my wife if we ever have more than 2 kids, I will make us, as a family, go in two separate cars before I ever step foot in the drivers seat of a minivan.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 7
hksr149.50
sygazelle11420.50
Jwong10.00
MystroX56289.50
paliknight2191.50
      06-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #17
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I told my wife if we ever have more than 2 kids, I will make us, as a family, go in two separate cars before I ever step foot in the drivers seat of a minivan.
I hear you. My son-in-law wants to get a mini van and my properly-trained car guy daughter told him "stop the crazy talk!"

Minivans have their purpose but not in my family's garage. Way too practical and efficient.
Appreciate 2
wtwo317971.00
pho116.00
      06-16-2020, 05:39 PM   #18
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

X7 and XC90 here. I’d prefer SUVs over other options even if I didn’t have kids. Although I wouldn’t need a 3 row SUV the space is nice for a DIY person like myself. Need to make sure there’s room to haul people and stuff at the same time. You don’t need a minivan ..no one ..needs ..a minivan.
Appreciate 1
Jwong10.00
      06-16-2020, 07:08 PM   #19
Jwong
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Smile Thank you everyone!

LOL. First, thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate that my "issue" is a first-world problem, and happily acknowledge I live in a free country that is privileged. I'm grateful for what we have, and to be part of a society where nice folks are kind enough to take time out to share their opinions with me. Thank you!

Yes, I wish my wife told me or atleast hinted before I bought the X5. LOL. But i'm happy as a clam and can't wait for the little one to come.

As for the Minivan vs SUV, there's no denying the practical nature of the minivan. I think it's a great option, just not my preference, so I think I'm going to stick to the SUV path for now.

The next debate is to pick which model: another X5, X7, or an XC70.

Out of those three, what would you choose? Is there a better 6-7 seater in your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hksr View Post
lol! Your wife should have told you to hold off on the X5 or at least mentioned how handy a 3rd row would be haha.

I don't have 3 kids, but I have a 6 month old and a 2 year old right now. Getting my ducks in a row (leases in a row) to move into an X7 in 4 years when my girls are 4 and 6 plus my mom moving in. In the meantime, I'm putting a deposit down for an X5 with 3rd row later this week.

There's no issues having 2 SUVs IMO. In fact, I'll probably settle in on an X7 and a smaller SUV for around town (ie. X3M or X5) in 4 years. The more space the better when you have a family... especially in your case with 3 kids!
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      06-16-2020, 07:12 PM   #20
Jwong
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thumbs up

Thank you! And thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! it sounds like you've had several adventures already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
My wife traded in her VW Passat and bought a small SUV (Hyundai Tucson Ltd), when we rescued an English Mastiff pup. (Who is now 200+ lbs). We also have 2 kids.... 13 and 6.

I found that her car, was ALWAYS the "family" car whenever we would go anywhere together, so when we moved to Belgium, and I learned what 3rd world roads are really like on a 3 series, I decided I wanted something with a more "luxurious" ride that didn't give me headaches.

I was looking at large performance/luxury sedans at first, but then made the conscious decision to buy a 2nd SUV to help share some of that "family" duty. I've always been very selfish when it comes to my cars. In my 45 years on this planet, and 60+ vehicles I've owned.... it was the first time I've ever considered my family when buying a car.

But.... I'll always be an enthusiast. If I was going to buy an SUV...... I was going to buy a bad-ass SUV... and make it even more bad-ass. I haven't had a car yet that I didn't start tearing apart and modifying within days of purchasing it. This one was no exception. I know myself well enough, that if I get "bored" with a car, I'll end up trading it in 6 months later.

In the end..... no regrets. Two perfectly useable family cars... big enough for the whole family and our house-donkey. I can even pull my motorcycle if I need to..... and it's quick enough, that I can even have fun in it too. And..... I keep a child seat in the back full time. No shame. Let someone give me crap about it..... cause they're going to get their asses handed to them by a car with a baby seat in the back. That HAS to be humiliating.... lol

My only advice.... is to make sure that you actually "like" whatever you buy. If you end up considering "only" the family, and buying "the most practical vehicle" imaginable...... you'll end up in jean shorts, crocs, and a tucked-in plaid button-down..... driving a minivan, and watching your manhood shrivel up and attach themselves internally to your new-found set of ovaries. Then, you'll end up blaming the wife & kids for it. That's not fair to them, or yourself. Get something you'll love... but that also works for the fam.

Congrats by the way!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #21
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
As for the Minivan vs SUV, there's no denying the practical nature of the minivan. I think it's a great option, just not my preference, so I think I'm going to stick to the SUV path for now.

The next debate is to pick which model: another X5, X7, or an XC70.

Out of those three, what would you choose? Is there a better 6-7 seater in your opinion?
for your growing family? just lease a 3 seater x5. its plenty for you guys. The X7 is a giant boat. it's luxurious and built like a limo. if you care at all about driving dynamics you'll want to stick with the x5.

We have a '16 F15 that has 3 rows that we bought off the lot and got a fantastic deal on. we were happy to trade it in on a lease on the G05, but our local dealer refused to play ball and be reasonable on a very low mile, impeccably maintained, no history having trade. As a result, we kept the 3 row F15 and leased a G05 anyway, so we are also a 2 SUV family. No regrets. The 3rd row is plenty good for kids up to like 6-7 years old. There's even vents back there for them, its plenty good for you, imo.

Also good on you for shunning the minivan crowd. Yes its practical and affordable and everything you need but ew.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:48 PM   #22
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
for your growing family? just lease a 3 seater x5. its plenty for you guys. The X7 is a giant boat. it's luxurious and built like a limo. if you care at all about driving dynamics you'll want to stick with the x5.
Have you driven an X7 with DHP for more then just a test drive? Chances are most people with three kids in the SUV a majority of the time won’t be whipping around 90 degree corners at 60mph. If you have that need I recommend a weekend car.
Appreciate 0