BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
somebol
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 m50i

Carplay Spotify - Not Autoplaying

I have been playing with the settings, dont know what I changed but since the last few days carplay music (spotify) does not autoplay when I start the car.

Even if I was listening to spotify before I switch off the car, once I turn it back on no music plays just silence. I have to manually play the songs again.

The auto play was working perfectly before I changed some setting, dont remember which setting, but not since.

Any tips to restore the functionality are greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:00 AM   #2
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebol View Post
I have been playing with the settings, dont know what I changed but since the last few days carplay music (spotify) does not autoplay when I start the car.

Even if I was listening to spotify before I switch off the car, once I turn it back on no music plays just silence. I have to manually play the songs again.

The auto play was working perfectly before I changed some setting, dont remember which setting, but not since.

Any tips to restore the functionality are greatly appreciated.
This happens for me also.

I have to assume it's a lack of regression testing by either Apple or Spotify as it has worked for so long and then recently stopped could also be the car software too I guess?

So irritating that this stuff happens. I don't think there's anything wrong with your configuration or settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
somebol
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 m50i

I tried resetting idrive as well, no luck
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
SCardamon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

It's an iPhone OS thing, few months ago an update really cracked down on background running apps - essentially shutting them down shortly after dormant (Spotify paused). From there the only music service that will autoplay for me unless I have been listening to it almost up until I enter the car is Apple Music which is coded in the OS to be what populates the autoplay "Now Playing" function.

Don't believe there is a way to switch default music app like you can with Android - I miss Android for reasons like this, just wish their watch game was as strong as Apple.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:59 AM   #5
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

FWIW you can delete Apple Music, that may help. I encounter the same thing though, typically have to start a song manually.
Appreciate 0