BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-13-2020, 07:05 AM   #1
littleump
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 40i

newbie questions and anyone else came from x3 to x5?

I sold my x3m40I and put down a deposit on a x5 40I with some goodies, heads up,extended comfort merino seats ect. Although the performance was great on the x3, im taking my time from the "yeehaa "of putting my foot down these days (due to the police and the risk of a speeding fine ). The x5 has always been my favorite and the new g05 is fantastic especially with the petrol version as deisel and dpf is a no due to low miles we do. im picking it up next week and very excited to have a play , its nearly at 10000 miles would it be due a service? could anyone pop out who has a early 2019 and see what the idrive is saying please, dealer has said not due until march next year.... was the change from x3 easy to adapt?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 05:52 AM   #2
phillydilles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G05

February 2019 build (I took possession in January 2020 as an exec demo, but Carfax doesn't show any earlier services) - here's what I see:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 06:04 AM   #3
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
I switched from the X3 F25 to the G05 last september; it took a few weeks to 'place' the car perfectly here on the very narrow roads, but apart from that not a lot of differences -- I feel the steering is quite a bit lighter, and the car has more tendency to oversteer than the F25 when driving quickly on small roads, but it's about as precise, and the wider tyres etc means I'm actually quicker in the G05 that I was in the F25.

Strangely, my wife was never super happy driving the X3, but absolutely love the X5, she kept telling me the X3 was too big! Now (especially with all the tech -- even tho we had suround cameras in the X3) she has absolutely no hesitation driving the X5. Go figure :-)

As far as 'comfort' goes, it's a /completely/ different class of cars. I didn't think my X3 (very well specced) was uncomfortable, but the X5 is just amazing in comparison.

ONE thing I miss is the thermal windscreen on the X3, it was a LOT easier to regulate the temperature inside of the car -- however, the X3 didn't have the HUD, and you can't have both -- the HUD is a huge win.
      06-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
littleump
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydilles View Post
February 2019 build (I took possession in January 2020 as an exec demo, but Carfax doesn't show any earlier services) - here's what I see:
cheers mate looks like yours will be around the 10k mark for service, ive negociated a earlyservice saves me a couple of££ thanks for taking the time
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #5
littleump
Private
Rep

buze, we never had surround on the 3 but have it on the 5, both had hud and ive come to really like it, the 3 had accoustic glass but i always found it lacking in comfort and the setout of the dash a little boring somehow,
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 03:09 PM   #6
DiamondLights
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I was split between X3 and X5 but going for X5. Only thing I can't determine is x40i engine or 30d?

Mainly town driving and odd motorway, want to keep costs as low as possible but can't seem to find anywhere that can help here?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 03:31 PM   #7
littleump
Private
Rep

100% petrol if doing short town driving mate deisel dpf needs to get car up to operating temp and then go through a regen process depending on driving style, this can stop midway if journey not long enough, still soot always collects and its not a servacable item and im sure is down as being needed to be replaced around 60000 miles( i may be wrong?) the x3 m40i was fun to be fair 24mpg around town which was quite good i thought
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #8
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleump View Post
100% petrol if doing short town driving mate deisel dpf needs to get car up to operating temp and then go through a regen process depending on driving style, this can stop midway if journey not long enough, still soot always collects and its not a servacable item and im sure is down as being needed to be replaced around 60000 miles( i may be wrong?) the x3 m40i was fun to be fair 24mpg around town which was quite good i thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleump View Post
The car has its own Regen process. Which it'll run after you've turned the car off.

Not an issue for me as I do regular long journeys.

But have noticed it doing 'its thing' when I've done some short journeys