BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

X5/X5M AC issue....

Ok this flat out sucks. 200miles on the odometer and my ac cuts out on me completely today. Was fine this morning but later on the ac just blows out hot air. Needless to say the car is barely drivable given the warmer temps we’ve been having in NY. Doesn’t matter what settings I change it’s still just blows hot air.

Spoke to two dealers and one thinks it could be the AC being over charged from the factory as he’s seen this on other 5 and X5s. Another dealer said they have two other X5s in for the same problem and they think the compressor needs to be swapped out.

Beyond frustrated at this point!

Alan
      06-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLE 63S

You're not alone. When leaving the dealership with my new X5 M50i, I noticed the A/C wasn't working. Very disappointing, they had to replace the compressor. I had the car back within 24 hours which was good. I was told by the service manager that Spartanburg told them there was a bad batch of compressors on a recent production run.
Appreciate 2
dds007411.00
F85MTuNED1620.50
      06-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
zjaiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MComp

sorry to hear this..seen a few guys having problems with the x5.. so far mine has no issues.. reaching break-in service then the fun starts
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #4
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

Me too!!!!!

Mine has not worked properly since day 1. They given me an estimated time frame of end of this month for the part to come in.
      06-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennC View Post
You're not alone. When leaving the dealership with my new X5 M50i, I noticed the A/C wasn't working. Very disappointing, they had to replace the compressor. I had the car back within 24 hours which was good. I was told by the service manager that Spartanburg told them there was a bad batch of compressors on a recent production run.
Did Rallye do the work? Who was your service advisor?

This is extremely frustrating to say the least. Brand spanking new car and wanted to take the family out for a nice drive. We ended up dripping in sweat with the kids complaining non stop for 10mins before i had to call it quits. Just so happens I just had tints installed today so i couldn't open the windows at all

I got this car so I could de-stress but looks like i just can't win.

Alan
      06-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLE 63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennC View Post
Did Rallye do the work? Who was your service advisor?

This is extremely frustrating to say the least. Brand spanking new car and wanted to take the family out for a nice drive. We ended up dripping in sweat with the kids complaining non stop for 10mins before i had to call it quits. Just so happens I just had tints installed today so i couldn't open the windows at all

I got this car so I could de-stress but looks like i just can't win.

Alan
Yes. Rallye. Ask to speak to Chris Blanco. He's the service manager. I'm sorry you had to deal with this but hopefully they can replace the compressor ASAP and you'll have the car back within 24 hours like me.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 11:35 PM   #7
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

^^ Thanks again Glenn.

Did some digging and turns out all current BMW's with the 4.4L twin turbo V8 uses the same AC compressor. Part number 64526822848

I am hearing it isn't a hard job to replace but the issue is parts availability.

Not sure what the hell I could do with my 1 week old car and if the dealer tells me the part is on back order for 2 months....

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 06-13-2020 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 4
aw3051441.50
MystroX56244.50
F85MTuNED1620.50
      06-13-2020, 06:14 AM   #8
aw305
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC Alpine White

Quote:
^^ Thanks again Glenn.

Did some digging and turns out all current BMW's with the 4.4L twin turbo V8 uses the same AC compressor. Part number 64526822848

I am hearing it isn't a hard job to replace but the issue is parts availability.

Not sure what the hell I could with my 1 week old car and if the dealer tells me the part is on back order for 2 months....

Alan
Alan I'll be glad to loan you the X3MC
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Number of AC issues with M8/8 series guys too
      06-13-2020, 11:56 AM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Yeah apparently BMW uses the same exact AC Compressor unit across the board on all of their V8's from the 5 to the 8 series including the M models.

I'm on the fence now as to what to do because I don't want to bring the car in if they can't get the part for 1-2 months but at the same time i can't really use the car if the AC isn't working either.
      06-13-2020, 09:53 PM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Won’t they give you a higher end loaner? This is their fault so it’s on them to satisfy their customer. We are just starting to get into summer heat here in the north east so sweating in your suit driving to the office isn’t a option. It’s also high pollen and a lot of people can’t have their windows down for health reasons. Ugh....this is where dealers have to step up.
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      06-15-2020, 09:46 AM   #12
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Just spoke to my dealer and this just keeps getting worse.... My problem is that the dealer I purchased the car from is 2.5 hours away so not exactly easy to get to but they have been supportive thus far.

I'm scheduled to bring the car in this week to get a loaner but i had their parts manager check on the AC compressor availability and its not good news. There are over 400+ backorders for the part nationwide and there are zero in the country. Earliest they show they can get one is end of July! Supposedly there is a service bulletin out about this issue at the dealership level now...

Either they find a way to get the part or they take the part off a new unsold car to give me or they will have a buy back case on their hands. I really don't want to go down that road again because i love this thing and its barely a week old.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 06-15-2020 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      06-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
ddelallata
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:
Just spoke to my dealer and this just keeps getting worse.... My problem is that the dealer I purchased the car from is 2.5 hours away so not exactly easy to get to but they have been supportive thus far.

I'm scheduled to bring the car in this week to get a loaner but i had their parts manager check on the AC compressor availability and its not good news. There are over 400+ backorders for the part nationwide and there are zero in the country. Earliest they show they can get one is end of July!

Either they find a way to get the part or they take the part off a new unsold car to give me or they will have a buy back case on their hands. I really don't want to go down that road again because i love this thing and its barely a week old.
Sorry you are going through this.
A few years back when I had a corvette, a few people on a forum where having a similar issue with a part that was on back order.
Somehow, someone got in contact with a top dog at GM and what ended up happening is that a part was sent directly from the assembly plant in Kentucky and delivered to the dealership.
It was pretty embarrassing that new cars were being made with the required parts , however none were available to replace faulty parts after the sale.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #14
jukedogg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5M

No AC

I got tired of waiting for my X5M order so I picked up a HEA that was close to my build, other than the leather and trim. AC worked ok the first day for ~150 miles, which was Friday. Went out Saturday to get an appointment for window tinting and the AC quit working. Hot air only. Dealer is picking my car up today, in a hour or so. They told me they think it is software related, we shall see. Hopefully they give me a decent loaner and get if fixed quickly. This is my first BMW and I am disappointed, but the car is excellent, just needs some cold air.
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      06-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #15
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukedogg View Post
I got tired of waiting for my X5M order so I picked up a HEA that was close to my build, other than the leather and trim. AC worked ok the first day for ~150 miles, which was Friday. Went out Saturday to get an appointment for window tinting and the AC quit working. Hot air only. Dealer is picking my car up today, in a hour or so. They told me they think it is software related, we shall see. Hopefully they give me a decent loaner and get if fixed quickly. This is my first BMW and I am disappointed, but the car is excellent, just needs some cold air.
This was my exact experience. Try explaining to your wife and kids why the AC in your 124K car doesn't work and you can't open the windows because you just got tints done

I called BMW Customer Service and while the lady was super nice, there isn't anything they could do at the moment. They don't have the pull to expedite anything. All she said is that they can work on compensating for lost use but that happens AFTER the car is all fixed so they can calculate the exact number of days.

Not sure whats better. Drop off the car at the dealer and get a loaner for 2 months or just let them diagnosis the issue and take the car back with me so atleast it won't get dinged up while sitting at the dealer service lot for that long of a time. This would be a non issue if it wasn't summer time but on hot days I can't drive this thing.

Alan
      06-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #16
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Alan If they take the part off a new unsold car isn't it possible that the part has the same issue. This sucks that it happened to you. They'll give you a loaner until the end of July, very bad going that long without your brand new car. Where is QC on this issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #17
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

OMG, you guys are being really cool about this. There has to be a lot more vehicles sitting on the lots with this defective part. This will get tracked down to a group of serial numbered parts that are defective. I hope there is a reasonable compromise made for you guys like your monthly payment being prorated. Of course this couldn’t happen in Feb. These things happen with new models in every brand. Remember the IMS disaster Porsche had so the ac issue is very minor in the performance of the V8TT X5’s. The good news is the actual part works well as shown in 2019 models so it’s not a design issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #18
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
This was my exact experience. Try explaining to your wife and kids why the AC in your 124K car doesn't work and you can't open the windows because you just got tints done

I called BMW Customer Service and while the lady was super nice, there isn't anything they could do at the moment. They don't have the pull to expedite anything. All she said is that they can work on compensating for lost use but that happens AFTER the car is all fixed so they can calculate the exact number of days.

Not sure whats better. Drop off the car at the dealer and get a loaner for 2 months or just let them diagnosis the issue and take the car back with me so atleast it won't get dinged up while sitting at the dealer service lot for that long of a time. This would be a non issue if it wasn't summer time but on hot days I can't drive this thing.

Alan
Get your car back and don’t let it sit at the dealer any longer than you have to. I would gladly wait the time out with a perfect conditioned non-working ac for as long as I have to. I detest having anyone touch my car and generally don’t trust they won’t ding, scratch the leather, take it for a joy ride, or wash the car to be nice and leave hairline scratches all over my new paint.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #19
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

^^ I am going to take this approach for sure. I rather have the car safe with me than some unknown lot getting god knows what done to it....
      06-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #20
jukedogg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
^^ I am going to take this approach for sure. I rather have the car safe with me than some unknown lot getting god knows what done to it....
They just drove mine to the dealership and left me with a 2020 X5, V6. Fine loaner for a few days. Finger crossed for a quick software fix. If they tell me two months to fix it....cross that bridge when we get there
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #21
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Good move. Yours is a high profile car that I am sure the kids doing the car washing would kill to “move around the lot” ie... Ferris Bueller‘s Day off valet scene.
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      06-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #22
jukedogg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
Good move. Yours is a high profile car that I am sure the kids doing the car washing would kill to “move around the lot” ie... Ferris Bueller‘s Day off valet scene.
Dealer says 2 weeks (minimum) to get a new compressor and they can't pull one off another vehicle. Never expected this from BMW. Pulled the trigger, bought an HEA and I'm still waiting to be driving an X5M :
Appreciate 0