BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-10-2020, 04:35 AM   #1
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Self parking via display key

Guys, what do I need setting up to get my car to operate the self park feature where you can get out the car and reverse it into a tight bay using the display key and then out of that bay again when you return. Also, can the display key show the service intervals and any other relevant useful info?

Do I need to subscribe to any BMW connected drive Apps to operate these features?

I only had my car for a few hours and 13 miles of driving (ex demo) before I returned it to the dealer to correct some issues. Therefore I don’t have the car or the owners manual.

The display key, which they left me with shows very little useful information me thinks Locked status, light status, fuel range and preconditioning setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 05:25 AM   #2
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
Guys, what do I need setting up to get my car to operate the self park feature where you can get out the car and reverse it into a tight bay using the display key and then out of that bay again when you return. Also, can the display key show the service intervals and any other relevant useful info?

Do I need to subscribe to any BMW connected drive Apps to operate these features?

I only had my car for a few hours and 13 miles of driving (ex demo) before I returned it to the dealer to correct some issues. Therefore I don’t have the car or the owners manual.

The display key, which they left me with shows very little useful information me thinks Locked status, light status, fuel range and preconditioning setting.
You might need to buy a tesla, or maybe an old 5/7 series. The G05 doesnt have remote parking (5DV).

The display key doesn't show that much to be honest. You can view fuel/mileage, unlock, flash lights, raise height, remote start, and thats about it. All these things and more can be done with the smart phone app. It's just bulky for bulks sake. I've not used any of the display keys extra features.

Remote start isnt available in the UK.
Appreciate 1
Unit218.50
      06-10-2020, 05:31 AM   #3
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Remote key is pointless. I really want to ditch it for a second normal, smaller key but can't as it comes with Tech Pack. There's nothing of worth on it that you can't do via the app so it's pretty pointless.
Appreciate 4
ifr1198.00
MystroX56289.50
volodp198.00
W0ut243.50
      06-10-2020, 05:50 AM   #4
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Remote key is pointless. I really want to ditch it for a second normal, smaller key but can't as it comes with Tech Pack. There's nothing of worth on it that you can't do via the app so it's pretty pointless.
And let's not forget the added burden of having to charge the damn thing every couple of weeks!
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer833.50
      06-10-2020, 06:15 AM   #5
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
The display key doesn't show that much to be honest. You can view fuel/mileage, unlock, flash lights, raise height, remote start, and thats about it. All these things and more can be done with the smart phone app. It's just bulky for bulks sake. I've not used any of the display keys extra features.

Remote start isnt available in the UK.

My Android app tells me if the car is locked or unlocked. No specifics.

The display key shows if:

windows are open,
sunroof is open,
doors are open,
boot is open,
alarm interior & tilt sensor are on

I also can't raise or lower the car from the app

The display key might be bulky, but the Android app is useless in comparison. At least the key is functional.
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer833.50
      06-10-2020, 06:15 AM   #6
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
How do you lower the car through app?
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer833.50
      06-10-2020, 06:36 AM   #7
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
How do you lower the car through app?
You can't as far as I'm aware mate but I don't have air suspension anyway on the car I'm picking up tomorrow. Yes there are some features like that but I meant overall there is nothing life changing (and tbh there's no real reason why it can't be done via the app if BMW wanted to. I think it's short sighted of them).

I'd just sooner get rid of the bulk and not have to charge it. Anyway the mrs is having mine as she has a handbag to cart it about in.
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer833.50
      06-10-2020, 07:01 AM   #8
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I purchased mine new and it came with 2 keys. I've just swapped from the display key to the standard key, so maybe worth asking the dealer for the 2nd key?

As stated, the only thing you can do on the display key, that cant b done within the app, is the ride height adjustment. I never use that remotely anyway.

iOS CD app can do all sorts:
Find car, ventilate now and schedule ventilation, remote 3D view, call roadside assist, lock/unlock, flash lights
Check status of all doors, windows, sunroof, bonnet and boot, check tyre and oil pressure status, upgrade car i-step
Find navigation destinations and send to car, add and modified nav favourites, buy CD services, check CD services status

Soon it may also allow the phone to operate as a digital key to lock/unlock and start the car.
Appreciate 3
      06-10-2020, 07:56 AM   #9
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks chaps that sorts that then. The self parking bit I’ve seen on videos would have been useful in Spain for reversing into a small garage to get the car out of the sun but that’s about all.

I can’t register my car with BMW Connected Drive anyway so their pay for services can take a swing..... Unless you think there’s anything really useful to have guys that I am missing?

Thankseveryone for your reply’s
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #10
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm picking up tomorrow.
Congrats from tomorrow mate, bet it’s a sleepless night
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #11
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
maybe worth asking the dealer for the 2nd key?

Find car, ventilate now and schedule ventilation, remote 3D view, call roadside assist, lock/unlock, flash lights
Check status of all doors, windows, sunroof, bonnet and boot, check tyre and oil pressure status, upgrade car i-step
Find navigation destinations and send to car, add and modified nav favourites, buy CD services, check CD services status

Soon it may also allow the phone to operate as a digital key to lock/unlock and start the car.
I sure won’t be asking them for a second key, I hope to never have to deal with this dealer again

What’s the App your running and is it available for iPhone do you happen to know
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 08:07 AM   #12
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
maybe worth asking the dealer for the 2nd key?

I sure won't be asking them for a second key, I hope to never have to deal with this dealer again

What's the App your running and is it available for iPhone do you happen to know
It's the Bmw Connected Drive app for iOS/iphone
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #13
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh right, thanks, just the service I can’t get to work then, no surprise there then
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #14
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Oh right, thanks, just the service I can’t get to work then, no surprise there then
To activate the app you need to enter your vin and it will send a code to your car. You have to enter this code to activate. But you need your car to read the code.

You mentioned the manual. You can download an app of the manual that is much easier than the Idrive or printed one : "drivers guide" in the App Store. Enter your vin and it shows a picture of your specific car and only show your options. So it won't show how to lower the car with the display key if you don't have air suspension.

And like mentioned by everybody else. Just use the normal key and the app.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #15
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I purchased mine new and it came with 2 keys. I've just swapped from the display key to the standard key, so maybe worth asking the dealer for the 2nd key?

As stated, the only thing you can do on the display key, that cant b done within the app, is the ride height adjustment. I never use that remotely anyway.

Yup there was talk when the LCI F82 came out that they were going to do that on the Ms and 7 series but then all the CA security issues kicked off again. I think it's only a matter of time. Can't wait as it'll be so nice not having to carry phone and keys.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #16
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I would be happy if BMW could deliver working tech they advertised in 2019. It’s just a long process of minor upgrades of “2 steps forward and 1 step back”. I have found I know significantly more about getting the tech features to work than my service center because of all of use comparing notes as a collective.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #17
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
To activate the app you need to enter your vin and it will send a code to your car. You have to enter this code to activate. But you need your car to read the code.

You mentioned the manual. You can download an app of the manual that is much easier than the Idrive or printed one : "drivers guide" in the App Store. Enter your vin and it shows a picture of your specific car and only show your options. So it won't show how to lower the car with the display key if you don't have air suspension.

Thanks that sounds just the job, nothing like reading about feature in the manual that’s not on my car
Normal key it is then, can’t see me ever just relying on the phone though, can’t think of any reason other than running out of battery or getting attacked in an alleyway and the phone stolen and my fingers hacked off so they can get away
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #18
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks that sounds just the job, nothing like reading about feature in the manual that’s not on my car
Normal key it is then, can’t see me ever just relying on the phone though, can’t think of any reason other than running out of battery or getting attacked in an alleyway and the phone stolen and my fingers hacked off so they can get away
If they found your display key they might even start looking for your expensive car. 😜
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #19
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Even if you run out of battery with your phone you can still enter the car with your key. And you need it anyway to start the car.

An other nice feature is locating your car with your phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #20
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Even if you run out of battery with your phone you can still enter the car with your key. And you need it anyway to start the car.

An other nice feature is locating your car with your phone.
If digital key is activated in the app on android (you need nfc) Then you can unlock the carwith your phone and start it with your phone. You need to put it in the wireless charge tray.

Also the display key doesn't need to be charged to unlock and start the car. It is working also when the battery and display are dead. You can charge it in the wirelesd charge tray. Display key isn't as big as previous versions and not so much bigger as normal key.
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer833.50
      06-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #21
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhe View Post
Also the display key doesn't need to be charged to unlock and start the car. It is working also when the battery and display are dead
Well that answers another question then. I was hoping that the key wouldn’t work at all when the batteries dead. That means I need another faraday case to prevent the code from being swiped
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #22
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhe View Post
Also the display key doesn't need to be charged to unlock and start the car. It is working also when the battery and display are dead
Well that answers another question then. I was hoping that the key wouldn't work at all when the batteries dead. That means I need another faraday case to prevent the code from being swiped
The new keys, DK included stop transmitting when not moving. So theoretically you don't need a cage. Once you pick up the key and it senses motion it starts transmitting again.

That is probably the reason the battery lasts longer compared to the previous one.

You can decharge the DK completely until it doesn't work anymore (had it with my previous car after 6 months in a drawer). It still works longtime with a dead display but eventually will also stop working.

I have an IPhone so I can't start with my phone (yet). I do keep the keycard in my wallet just in case I lose the keyfob.
Appreciate 2