E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 328i-xdrive oil pan hole

06-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
sonofsun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 328i X-drive E90 N51 PK53

E90 328i-xdrive oil pan hole

While cleaning up the mess due to oil leak from the filter cap I discovered that there is a big hole at the bottom of the oil pan. Not sure if all the oil pans have a hole like this. Is the oil pan filled up with oil when the engine is not running?

This looks to me like a manufacturing defect (like casting defect) since the shape is irregular and there was no gash to the plastic cover under the engine. But even then if something came to hit all the way to this area it would've definitely messed up many other components in the way before hitting the oil pan.

Someone please let me know if I am being paranoid about this. What I don't understand is that the engine oil is upto full capacity and the oil level hasn't dropped.

If this is a casting defect how do I take it up with BMW North America? Not sure how many other people have had this kind of issue before.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofsun View Post
While cleaning up the mess due to oil leak from the filter cap I discovered that there is a big hole at the bottom of the oil pan. Not sure if all the oil pans have a hole like this. Is the oil pan filled up with oil when the engine is not running?

This looks to me like a manufacturing defect (like casting defect) since the shape is irregular and there was no gash to the plastic cover under the engine. But even then if something came to hit all the way to this area it would've definitely messed up many other components in the way before hitting the oil pan.

Someone please let me know if I am being paranoid about this. What I don't understand is that the engine oil is upto full capacity and the oil level hasn't dropped.

If this is a casting defect how do I take it up with BMW North America? Not sure how many other people have had this kind of issue before.
That's been there awhile. It looks "dry" up in the hole. It looks like a casting issue, I wouldn't call it a defect. What I'd do is clean the entire area with brake cleaner, then with denatured alcohol. Then once it's dry, and you've verified it doesn't leak, I'd just stuff it full of JB Weld and sand it down to the surface of the pan. And then not worry about it.

I doubt BMW would do anything about it at this point.
Appreciate 0