Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Thinking about coding with Bimmercode app

06-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Thinking about coding with Bimmercode app

Looking at getting into coding for my G20. I think I will go the Bimmercode route but would like some advice on OBD adapters.

Looks like the cheapest option would be an ENET cable and Ethernet adapter. The ethernet adapter would need to connect to my iPad/iPhone.

Name:  696D545E-FDF8-4229-92AA-A9ED71F3262E.jpeg
Views: 5269
Size:  61.1 KB

Would I have the same functionality in Bimmercode App. Compared to using something like OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth.

Any help/views appreciated.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R

Last edited by Tam the Bam; 06-02-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #2
Swagasaurus-R3X
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Looking at getting into coding for my G20. I think I will go the Bimmercode route but would like some advice on OBD adapters.

Looks like the cheapest option would be an ENET cable and Ethernet adapter. The ethernet adapter would need to connect to my iPad/iPhone.

Attachment 2327805

Would I have the same functionality in Bimmercode App. Compared to using something like OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth.

Hello OP,

I just ordered this Bluetooth OBD from Amazon that a lot of folks with the F30 use. You can use coupon code YTBDST15 for 15% at checkout.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XKQQQW..._wAQ1EbZB7GBVK

Looks like it arrives on Thursday and I will begin to play around with it on Friday when I get my car back after it is finished with the PPF install. I'll post back with what I find out and code.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagasaurus-R3X View Post
Hello OP,

I just ordered this Bluetooth OBD from Amazon that a lot of folks with the F30 use. You can use coupon code YTBDST15 for 15% at checkout.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XKQQQW..._wAQ1EbZB7GBVK

Looks like it arrives on Thursday and I will begin to play around with it on Friday when I get my car back after it is finished with the PPF install. I'll post back with what I find out and code.
Thanks......look forward to hearing how it goes.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #4
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
@Tam the Bam,

Though I have used E-SYS & ProLauncher to code for some time, I also have recently gone to Bimmercode with OBD MX+ link and have found it quite useful!

I would recommend that you turn off car's Bluetooth & if you wear a Bluetooth watch (like a Fitbit) off when coding-- minimizes any chance of interference problems

Hope that helps

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #5
patnaik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:

Attachment 2327805

I strongly recommend the Ethernet option. Much faster than any other option. Just put your phone into airplane mode before entering your car.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2020, 05:34 AM   #6
Desrste
BMW4LIFE
Rep
Drives: '16 428i GC. '08 535, '84 e30

Quote:

Attachment 2327805

Def go with MX+ or Ethernet. I bought Veepak based on YouTube videos I watched for coding f30 chassis and cost. Problem is that the veepak does not give you access to all coding options in g20. For example... I wanted to code Sport + but found out after buying Veepak it doesn't support coding that area of the car. Lots of great threads on here once you get started! Good luck!
Appreciate 2
      06-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #7
Swagasaurus-R3X
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desrste View Post
Def go with MX+ or Ethernet. I bought Veepak based on YouTube videos I watched for coding f30 chassis and cost. Problem is that the veepak does not give you access to all coding options in g20. For example... I wanted to code Sport + but found out after buying Veepak it doesn't support coding that area of the car. Lots of great threads on here once you get started! Good luck!
Just got my VeePeak OBDCheck BLE in the mail off Amazon. Plugged it it and it was super simple. Just put the car into diagnostic mode and iPhone in airplane mode before. Found out the hard way that this adapter does not allow you to make changes to a lot of the control modules that I wanted to change. Should have read the supported adapters off of the bimmercode website. I just returned the adapter to Amazon today and am purchasing the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner.

I was able to program the head unit and display unit start up animations and it worked great. Also coded the video in motion even though I am not planning on using it.

I'll check back in once I recieve the OBDLink MX+ in the mail.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #8
murderedg20
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i M Sport

I'd go with Ethernet option. It's quicker, you can access all the menus, and also gives u the potential to code with esys later on if you choose.
Appreciate 4
      06-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #9
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnaik View Post
I strongly recommend the Ethernet option. Much faster than any other option. Just put your phone into airplane mode before entering your car.
I agree and that’s what I did after buying a VeePeak that was at one time recommended by Bimmercode but then not. Instead of being subject to which BT OBDII dongle works at any given time, the ENT cable will always work, is faster, and more stable. Cost is about the same once you factor in the adapter for Ethernet to Lightening or whatever.
Appreciate 2
      06-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #10
Swagasaurus-R3X
Private
United_States
Rep

Update: I went with the Ethernet option. Bought it on Amazon and it arrived in 1 day. Started coding some basics like the head unit and flashing break lights.

Currently need the beta BimmerCode app in order to access the Headunit expert mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #11
murderedg20
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagasaurus-R3X View Post
Update: I went with the Ethernet option. Bought it on Amazon and it arrived in 1 day. Started coding some basics like the head unit and flashing break lights.

Currently need the beta BimmerCode app in order to access the Headunit expert mode.
Do the flashing brake lights work for you? I tried testing and couldn't get them to flash.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
Swagasaurus-R3X
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachart View Post
Do the flashing brake lights work for you? I tried testing and couldn't get them to flash.
They do not. Im going through the settings now. I have everything down to weak and have even activated the setting to bremslicht_blinkend in expert mode under GEFAHRENBREMSLICHT_TYP.

Let me know if you find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #13
Monkey5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '21 230 , '19 330 msport

I was going to start doing some coding soon and it looks like most prefer the esys ethernet cable.
Is there special software needed ? If I use my android phone to use the bimmercode app what other adapter is required to connect to the phone?

I'm use to OBDeleven on VAG products. its an all inclusive dongle.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #14
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey5 View Post
I was going to start doing some coding soon and it looks like most prefer the esys ethernet cable.
Is there special software needed ? If I use my android phone to use the bimmercode app what other adapter is required to connect to the phone?

You will need a cable to connect from you phone to rj45 Ethernet in order to plug into the enet cable.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #15
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey5 View Post

I don’t think the enet cable works for android phones with bimmercode to code our G series cars. I’m not 100pc sure but I think it’s only for older chassis cars that enet can be used on android. It works with apple phones.
I use obdlink lx. I’m not a fan of it because it’s slow. But I can access all modules with it. I had a wifi vgate before that and that was much faster but it couldn’t access all modules.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #16
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Had been using my vgate icar pro bluetooth (the same one I used on my F30 with Bimmercode - but as others have mentioned using this combination would not give me access to all the modules.

Just today received in the mail (thank you Amazon) an iphone to ethernet cable that I plug my OBD to ethernet cable into.

Now I have access to all the modules and coding process is so so much faster.

Thanks all for the suggestions - worked like a champ!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #17
Chicago Beemer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

OBD Location of X7

Hello
New to beemer code. Can anyone let me know the location of OBD to x7 and does the amazon cable mentioned in above threads work??
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #18
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Beemer View Post
Hello
New to beemer code. Can anyone let me know the location of OBD to x7 and does the amazon cable mentioned in above threads work??
The OBD port is usually located at the same location for most cars. Check under the dashboard of the driver's side, close to the outer footwell wall. It should be open but in rare cases, some cars have a flap covering it.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:43 PM   #19
RJCmmr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

So on Bimmercode when I enter my car type G20 these are the 3 adapters that come up that supposedly work with Android phones

MHD ENET Wi-Fi
BMDiag ENET Wi-Fi
modBMW ENET Wi-Fi

Can anyone confirm this will work with a 2020 330i?

Also seems like the ENET Wi-Fi is wireless - not a choice of either cabled or Wi-Fi. Wondering if anyone has experience with pros/cons of this.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #20
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCmmr View Post
So on Bimmercode when I enter my car type G20 these are the 3 adapters that come up that supposedly work with Android phones

MHD ENET Wi-Fi
BMDiag ENET Wi-Fi
modBMW ENET Wi-Fi

Also seems like the ENET Wi-Fi is wireless - not a choice of either cabled or Wi-Fi. Wondering if anyone has experience with pros/cons of this.

Thanks.
I bought a modBMW Enet Wi-Fi to use with bimmercode. No issue and works quite fast. No coding experience prior to this - managed to activate stop/start memory, deactivate warnings, activated assist driving view and coded the car to start in adaptive. All done in under 15min.
Appreciate 1
RJCmmr3.00
      07-11-2020, 10:42 PM   #21
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCmmr View Post

MHD ENET Wi-Fi
BMDiag ENET Wi-Fi
modBMW ENET Wi-Fi

Thanks.
WiFi is much faster than Bluetooth. Wired is the fastest but WiFi isn’t that bad. As long as it isn’t Bluetooth, you’ll be fine. My Bluetooth dongle is pretty darn slow and some modules take almost two minutes just to access. And another two minutes just to code.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
RJCmmr3.00
      07-11-2020, 11:35 PM   #22
RJCmmr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
I bought a modBMW Enet Wi-Fi to use with bimmercode. No issue and works quite fast. No coding experience prior to this - managed to activate stop/start memory, deactivate warnings, activated assist driving view and coded the car to start in adaptive. All done in under 15min.
Thanks.

This will be my first coding too so it helps knowing you found it so easy.

I'm in the US - what store did you order from - the ones listed through Bimmercode seem to all be in the UK
Appreciate 0