Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Same tyre thickness, but 20" instead of 19" --> harder ride ??

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Grublit 335i
Fugly Karting
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupé_Black_19" (230)

Question Same tyre thickness, but 20" instead of 19" --> harder ride ??

I'm considering of changing my 19" OEM type 230 into 20" Tomason TN4.
My current tyre sizes are 225/35/19 FA and 255/30/19 RA. I'd like to keep these sizes with the 20" wheels (only the front tyres will have to be +/- 235
I guess, because the front rim will be 9" instead of 8" wide...).

Since the 'thickness' of the tyres stays the same (35 and 30), will the ride still be 'harder'/less comfortable, only because the rims are 1" bigger??

Afterwards, I will definitely install coilovers, because the Eibach Pro springs (35/25 mm) don't drop more than 25/10 mm!
It's just a matter of choosing between the KW V2 or the Eibach Pro Street S (wich can go lower than the KW's)...
It will probably depend on which of those is the easiest to adapt the amount of lowering...?

I'd already be grateful if you could help me out with this, but please don't hesitate to give your opinions on the Tomason TN4's if you like...

Thanks in advance!

--> My current 230's (19"):

--> The Tomason TN4 (20"):

( since I couldn't find a picture of them on an E9x : )

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 01:42 AM   #2
Grublit 335i
Fugly Karting
Belgium
Rep

Anyone, please ...?

As simple as the answer may be, I'd like to be sure.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
dah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i convertible

If I get your question right, the comfort with a larger OD 20" tires would be similar. IMO however, the heavier wheels/tires will cause your suspension to be less responsive and crash sometimes, which isn't comfortable. I can't say if your setup will fit or rub.

The wheels look good for sure - kind of like a 19" BMW M3 without the splits.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Grublit 335i
Fugly Karting
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dah View Post
If I get your question right, the comfort with a larger OD 20" tires would be similar. IMO however, the heavier wheels/tires will cause your suspension to be less responsive and crash sometimes, which isn't comfortable. I can't say if your setup will fit or rub.

The wheels look good for sure - kind of like a 19" BMW M3 without the splits.

Thanks for your answer dah!

We seem to have the same opinion, so it's probably the good one .
About the suspension issue concerning the comfort, that's indeed a good point, didn't even think about that...

In a few weeks, I hope I'll get someone to PhotoShop these Tomasons on a picture of my car; or a similar one. Hope to be convinced then!

Thanks again, kind regards!

Appreciate 0