E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Interior Swap - L7 -> BMW IA

05-29-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
Phoenixg
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Location: GTA / KW V2/Apex Arc 8 Wheels/ FBO/ Hawk HPS 5.0/Stainless Lines/ M-tech/ LCI/CIC

Interior Swap - L7 -> BMW IA

Hey all,

Scored a crazy deal on Coral Red interior/CIC upgrade and am currently in the process of swapping out my Black Dakota.

I have Top Hi-fi (Logic 7) in my e92. The panels came with a couple BMW IA mids/tweeters but not the door tweeters by the side mirrors. It also didn't come with the amp or centre console speaker.

I contacted my part out guy to see if I can get them but if I cant ...

- Can I still run the BMW IA mids/tweeters or do I need that 4 pin adapter thats fitted onto the plastic housing of the BMW IA mid speaker in the door.

If I can:

- IA everything including amp (which I would assume would be a PnP from my Logic7 amp) except for my Logic7 subs under the seats.

(Would I run into trouble swapping Amps? Logic7 amp rated for 400w or something and IA rated at double hence why I wanted to swap it)

-----
Tried searching for information relating to the 4 pin adapter thats attached to the BMW IA mid and am coming up short.

Trying to DIY this to the best of my abilities but I am also a beginner. Worst case I will just swap my HK speakers back in.

-----

Also,

Anyone ever retrofitted a USB connection into the centre console that didn't have USB connection before? Is it worth the hassle or should I just leave the USB connection unplugged. The part out guy also gave me the entire centre console with the USB connection in the centre console but I never had it before so I am wondering how hard of a DIY that really is. Looked at the BMW instructions about retrofitting and it looks tricky but wanted actual feedback if anyone tackled that.

TIA

Last edited by Phoenixg; 05-29-2020 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 03:44 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I belive the 1a amp has and actual separate power cable.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixg View Post
Hey all,

Scored a crazy deal on Coral Red interior/CIC upgrade and am currently in the process of swapping out my Black Dakota.

I have Top Hi-fi (Logic 7) in my e92. The panels came with a couple BMW IA mids/tweeters but not the door tweeters by the side mirrors. It also didn't come with the amp or centre console speaker.

I contacted my part out guy to see if I can get them but if I cant ...

- Can I still run the BMW IA mids/tweeters or do I need that 4 pin adapter thats fitted onto the plastic housing of the BMW IA mid speaker in the door.

If I can:

- IA everything including amp (which I would assume would be a PnP from my Logic7 amp) except for my Logic7 subs under the seats.

(Would I run into trouble swapping Amps? Logic7 amp rated for 400w or something and IA rated at double hence why I wanted to swap it)

-----
Tried searching for information relating to the 4 pin adapter thats attached to the BMW IA mid and am coming up short.

Trying to DIY this to the best of my abilities but I am also a beginner. Worst case I will just swap my HK speakers back in.

-----

Also,

Anyone ever retrofitted a USB connection into the centre console that didn't have USB connection before? Is it worth the hassle or should I just leave the USB connection unplugged. The part out guy also gave me the entire centre console with the USB connection in the centre console but I never had it before so I am wondering how hard of a DIY that really is. Looked at the BMW instructions about retrofitting and it looks tricky but wanted actual feedback if anyone tackled that.

TIA
Can I still run the BMW IA mids/tweeters or do I need that 4 pin adapter thats fitted onto the plastic housing of the BMW IA mid speaker in the door.

1) Are you sure you got BMW IA speakers in the doors?

2) If you add tweeters, you will need to add the cross overs. You can add every BMW IA speaker & they will all fit. You can even add the additional rear tweeters with silver grill in the side rear. They just plug into the 4" mid. There should be a cut out marked out on the inside of the panel. All you need a a hole saw & a box knife.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293563345607

If I can:

I wouldn't run BMW subs. You should look at after mkt options like pioneer slim subs.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P.../Shallow+Mount

I wouldn't run the BMW IA amp. There's better options. JL Audio & Alpine are very popular on this forum, for good reason.

-----

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232990923441

If you run after mkt amps, you will need a crimper for smaller & larger wire like 0-4g wire. You will need 2 amps - one 6 channel amp & one 5 channel amp

Titan 11477 Ratcheting Wire Terminal Crimper Tool for Insulated Terminals https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0069TRKJ0..._8JQ0Eb6R1DYE3

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/99?...3D202777118659

The 6 channel amp runs the speakers & the 5 channel would run your underneath seat subs & maybe a trunk sub when you get to that point.

You will also need to get a technique harness too.

https://technicpnp.com

Or you can get ready made amps

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/speakers...ifier-for-bmw/

-----

Also,

If you retrofit an after mkt head unit, you won't need to worry about that.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

As someone that has done the L7 to IA upgrade, either keep your full L7 or upgrade completely to the IA. The L7 subs will not , cannot handle the power of the IA amp. The IA front speakers require the crossovers to function properly but will run on the L7 amp and sound great.

I do completely disagree with two things mweisdorfer stated above.
1- you will be hard pressed to find ANY woofer that will sound better and take the power of the Individual Audio woofers.
2- the Individual Audio amp is a very capable amp designed well and built and tuned specially for the application, it will take ALOT of processing and additional components to sound as good, not just slapping an alpine or JL amp in its place.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
Phoenixg
Private
Rep
Location: GTA / KW V2/Apex Arc 8 Wheels/ FBO/ Hawk HPS 5.0/Stainless Lines/ M-tech/ LCI/CIC

Thanks for the replies guys!
- I am 100% positive it is BMW IA - searched the part number already. Will post photos in original post if I can figure it out.

- I am missing the tweeters and my part out guy doesn't have them, however I am in the process of reaching out to someone else to see if I can pick them up.

- At this point I am thinking of swapping all L7 in place of IA as I do not have full IA speakers, I only have the front doors (Mids) and the rear seats (Mid and tweeters). I was not given the subs under the seats, the speaker in the dash, the amp, and the rest that follows.

- I know sound is subjective, but from what I have read, IA performs better at higher volumes, and I tend to blast my music on my drives. My car is a 2007, although I only have about 107xxxkm atm, I wouldn't mind upgrading to the IA set up if I can get my hands on the full set up.

- Also, I picked up CIC as I did not want to go with an after market head unit. Was just wondering if the USB retrofit is worth the hassle or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys!
- I am 100% positive it is BMW IA - searched the part number already. Will post photos in original post if I can figure it out.

- I am missing the tweeters and my part out guy doesn't have them, however I am in the process of reaching out to someone else to see if I can pick them up.

- At this point I am thinking of swapping all L7 in place of IA as I do not have full IA speakers, I only have the front doors (Mids) and the rear seats (Mid and tweeters). I was not given the subs under the seats, the speaker in the dash, the amp, and the rest that follows.

- I know sound is subjective, but from what I have read, IA performs better at higher volumes, and I tend to blast my music on my drives. My car is a 2007, although I only have about 107xxxkm atm, I wouldn't mind upgrading to the IA set up if I can get my hands on the full set up.

- Also, I picked up CIC as I did not want to go with an after market head unit. Was just wondering if the USB retrofit is worth the hassle or not.
Make sure you pick a set of individual tweeters for the rear doors. The panel has the indentation on the backside of the panel. All you need is a 1 7/8" hole saw for your cordless drill. Make sure to cut the leather/ pleather on the panel side with a box knife etc., BEFORE you drill out the hole from the backside. Just trace the hole saw with the box knife.

The tweeters just plug into the speakers next to them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
Phoenixg
Private
Rep

Good to know thanks a lot!

By the way, any chance you guys can help me find a part? In the front door, the mids are connected to part number - 7838929.02 - its this rectangular box that is glued to the inside panel of the door, im missing the wire that connects from this box to the actual speaker (which I assume allows power to be connected?)

I am trying to order that wiring harness that will allow me to use the IA mid speaker but I am not sure what the part number is. TIA

Photo of wire part I am looking for ( https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578138 ) 9th post down, first photo posted by "KenH"

Last edited by Phoenixg; 06-05-2020 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Good to know thanks a lot!

By the way, any chance you guys can help me find a part? In the front door, the mids are connected to part number - 7838929.02 - its this rectangular box that is glued to the inside panel of the door, im missing the wire that connects from this box to the actual speaker (which I assume allows power to be connected?)

I am trying to order that wiring harness that will allow me to use the IA mid speaker but I am not sure what the part number is. TIA

Photo of wire part I am looking for ( https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578138 ) 9th post down, first photo posted by "KenH"
Cross over - 65137838929

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/65137838929/

Wiring Harness - 65137840987

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/65137840987/

Extra Tweeter for the Rear Door - 65137838901

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/65137838901/

Securing Ring - 65138360689

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/65138360689/
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
Phoenixg
Private
Rep

Almost $100 CAD for a wiring harness - Thanks a lot mweisdorfer I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 12:44 AM   #10
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Almost $100 CAD for a wiring harness - Thanks a lot mweisdorfer I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help.
Get them on eBay
Appreciate 0