F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R coils and wheel spacers
GetBMWParts

05-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i M-Sport

H&R coils and wheel spacers

I've bought H&R SS coils and i wanna buy wheel spacers. How many mm am I actually shopping for? Do i lower the car first and then measure? Thanks guys!
- Injen intake
- Active Autowerke intercooler
- Active Autowerke charge pipe
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #2
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a404freedom View Post
I've bought H&R SS coils and i wanna buy wheel spacers. How many mm am I actually shopping for? Do i lower the car first and then measure? Thanks guys!
The spacer width depends on your wheel and tire setup. If your wheels and tires are stock specs, 10mm in the front and 15mm in the rear is a popular option. You'll also need extended lug bolts (unless you're doing / have done the wheel stud conversion). I have 10mm front and 15mm rear spacers on stock wheels and they sit flush with the fenders. I recently did the wheel stud conversion and am selling the extended lugs if you're in need of some.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
Quote:
The spacer width depends on your wheel and tire setup. If your wheels and tires are stock specs, 10mm in the front and 15mm in the rear is a popular option. You'll also need extended lug bolts (unless you're doing / have done the wheel stud conversion). I have 10mm front and 15mm rear spacers on stock wheels and they sit flush with the fenders. I recently did the wheel stud conversion and am selling the extended lugs if you're in need of some.
Thank you very much! at the moment likely gonna stay stock. Changing wheels in my mind becomes way too flashy. With your spacers do you get rubbing ?? Again thanks man
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you very much! at the moment likely gonna stay stock. Changing wheels in my mind becomes way too flashy. With your spacers do you get rubbing ?? Again thanks man
No rubbing at all, not a single time. My car has the M-Sport suspension and hasn't been lowered.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
Quote:
No rubbing at all, not a single time. My car has the M-Sport suspension and hasn't been lowered.
See thats the catch, i drive the msport so my concern is when i do lower it (an 1" or so), am i jamming myself up? Im very knew to this so I appreciate whatcha got
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      05-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
See thats the catch, i drive the msport so my concern is when i do lower it (an 1" or so), am i jamming myself up? Im very knew to this so I appreciate whatcha got
There are some cars on here with very aggressive wheels, tires, and lowered suspension setups. I haven't heard of rubbing issues with coils and spacers on stock wheels and tires. The adjustability of the coils should help you avoid those issues.

If you go with a more aggressive setup and run into rubbing issues, you could roll your fenders.

Here is an example:
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
yes, install springs, let it settle a bit, get an alignment(so the camber is set), then measure for spacers.

plumb a straight edge from the fenderlip and measure the distance to the part of the tire you want it to be flush with. that distance will be the spacer thickness you require.
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      05-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #8
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
Quote:
yes, install springs, let it settle a bit, get an alignment(so the camber is set), then measure for spacers.

plumb a straight edge from the fenderlip and measure the distance to the part of the tire you want it to be flush with. that distance will be the spacer thickness you require.
That was awesome, a tons of thank you man! I cannot wait!!!!
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 1