Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Dinan Quad exhaust review.

05-26-2020, 10:23 PM   #1
Evo9m340
Rep
Drives: EVO 9, M340, IS350

Dinan Quad exhaust review.

Purpose of this post is to review this exhaust and possibly give insight to people who are debating between the Dinan and MPE exhaust as these are the only two options at the moment.

I want to give a big shout out to one of our vender, Mike from www.x-ph.com who was able to get me a deal on this exhaust in a fast and timely manner.

I nearly pulled the trigger on the MPE many times, but I held back because I wasn't completely sold on it. Seeing many great videos of those who had it, I felt it was a marginal upgrade.

Dinan had a teaser video out at the time but wasn't too helpful. After they finally release the exhaust and I saw their youtube video, particularly at around 1:09 mark of the car pulling away is what convinced me this exhaust has some balls. I find quad tips looked very potent. Not only looks better then the MPE, but also was designed to flow better then the MPE.

Fast foward a nice big Dinan box arrived at my house. It came alot quicker then Mike from x-ph.com had told me. I immediatly went to Oreilly and rented an exhaust pipe cutter.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...t+cutter&pos=6

This was prob the most tedious and most difficult part of the install. I'd recommend to not cut the exhaust right on the dimples if you are going to use the pipe cutter I rented.
Followed Dinans instructions and the Dinan exhaust is on. Fairly easy DIY. I aligned the tips just like the instruction says and I think it looks perfect.

First start up in my garage instantly tells me its deep and had grunt.
Drove around with windows down and I was happy in comfort and amazed when valves opened up at around 2900rpm. Put it in sport plus and I was grinning ear to ear.

Daily drivability is great. With windows closed I find its very comfortable during my long commute to work which includes a good amount of hwy and city driving. There is no drone.

Whether it is "loud enough" or not is completely subjective to the individual. Lets just say if my M340 was well modified like my EVO 9, no chance will I run this exhaust and possibly get me a ref ticket(big deal CA). So in my opinion, it is plenty loud to get in trouble under WOT, but not obnoxious. It does rattle on cold starts like others have complained about, but I can live with that.

So far I have roughly 800 miles on it and finally start filming. I will have go pro videos out shortly as well as fly bys with high quality sound. The exhaust note in sport plus was too much for the go pro mic, I had to use a stand alone mic.

Here is a half assed video i put together so far. Better one coming soon.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YPw...w?usp=drivesdk
Attached Images

Last edited by Evo9m340; 05-27-2020 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 3
      05-26-2020, 11:09 PM   #2
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Where's the sound clip my dude?!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Mike View Post
+1
Appreciate 2
W288SH159.00
tarrant64116.00
      05-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
How noticeable is the rattle upon start up?

There's a few others on here who mentioned the same. I dealt with this on my MPE with my last F30 for 2 years and would prefer to not have that with this new exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review OP, im glad you are enjoying it.

I like the aggressive look

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #6
Evo9m340
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
How noticeable is the rattle upon start up?

There's a few others on here who mentioned the same. I dealt with this on my MPE with my last F30 for 2 years and would prefer to not have that with this new exhaust
doors close and windows up. cant hear it. but with driver door open, its noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #7
Evo9m340
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Mike View Post
just put together a short video. its not very great, but figured this thread is worthless without a sound clip.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #8
TedW
Rep
Drives: BMW m340i 2021

Garage List
Evo9 thanks for the review and the video. Both my G20 and Dinan Exhaust should be here in January. Will also post some videos and review.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
paulb15480
Retired Car Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, Dinan Exhaust

Question of Rattle on Dinan Exhaust

I have had my Dinan Exhaust for about 5000 miles. No rattles from mine at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #10
Obitelb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo9m340 View Post
Purpose of this post is to review this exhaust and possibly give insight to people who are debating between the Dinan and MPE exhaust as these are the only two options at the moment.

I want to give a big shout out to one of our vender, Mike from www.x-ph.com who was able to get me a deal on this exhaust in a fast and timely manner.

I nearly pulled the trigger on the MPE many times, but I held back because I wasn't completely sold on it. Seeing many great videos of those who had it, I felt it was a marginal upgrade.

Dinan had a teaser video out at the time but wasn't too helpful. After they finally release the exhaust and I saw their youtube video, particularly at around 1:09 mark of the car pulling away is what convinced me this exhaust has some balls. I find quad tips looked very potent. Not only looks better then the MPE, but also was designed to flow better then the MPE.

Fast foward a nice big Dinan box arrived at my house. It came alot quicker then Mike from x-ph.com had told me. I immediatly went to Oreilly and rented an exhaust pipe cutter.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...tter&pos=6

This was prob the most tedious and most difficult part of the install. I'd recommend to not cut the exhaust right on the dimples if you are going to use the pipe cutter I rented.
Followed Dinans instructions and the Dinan exhaust is on. Fairly easy DIY. I aligned the tips just like the instruction says and I think it looks perfect.

First start up in my garage instantly tells me its deep and had grunt.
Drove around with windows down and I was happy in comfort and amazed when valves opened up at around 2900rpm. Put it in sport plus and I was grinning ear to ear.

Daily drivability is great. With windows closed I find its very comfortable during my long commute to work which includes a good amount of hwy and city driving. There is no drone.

Whether it is "loud enough" or not is completely subjective to the individual. Lets just say if my M340 was well modified like my EVO 9, no chance will I run this exhaust and possibly get me a ref ticket(big deal CA). So in my opinion, it is plenty loud to get in trouble under WOT, but not obnoxious. It does rattle on cold starts like others have complained about, but I can live with that.

So far I have roughly 800 miles on it and finally start filming. I will have go pro videos out shortly as well as fly bys with high quality sound. The exhaust note in sport plus was too much for the go pro mic, I had to use a stand alone mic.

Here is a half assed video i put together so far. Better one coming soon.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YPw...w?usp=drivesdk
Have dinan with catless downpipe.. And it's sounds so crazy in sport mode.. But I like it. Have some drone around 70-88mph
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 06:48 PM   #11
BlaSTiWi
Not new just quite
Rep
Drives: E60, F30, G22 & G80

Garage List
If not on the dimples move to the front or back and how far?

Wondering why you recommended not on the dimples?

Tkx!
--RR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo9m340 View Post
[...]
[...]

2024 BMW M3Cx G80 | Alpine White + Fiona Red |

2021 BMW M440i G22
Appreciate 0