E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Individual Center Channel with Logic 7?

05-26-2020, 04:15 AM   #1
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
Individual Center Channel with Logic 7?

So, not trying to add to the million threads on adding a tweeter to the center channel, or best upgrade paths for logic 7 cars but I couldn't find any info on this.

I frequently see people upgrading their center channel, usually to a coaxial, or just adding a tweeter to the original speaker, but I've recently realized that the Individual Audio system comes with a coaxial center channel stock, which is also four ohms.

Is there a reason swapping to this versus hacking something together isn't more common? My center channel bit the dust a few weeks ago- had to glue it together- so today I decided to order an Individual center channel and see what happens. I had a hard time finding a solid way to get an alternative, either because I couldn't find the suggested speaker online, or the speaker required a bit too much hacking at things for my liking. Just looking for an opinion, to see what people think.

Last edited by JonOhh; 05-26-2020 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Tl,dr:

It bolts right up, plugs right in, as expected, and sounds fantastic. Soundstage is now shifted around the top of the gauge cluster, maybe a bit higher. Center channel keeps up with loud volume levels much better now.

For $50-70 for this speaker on eBay, it may not be the most cost effective option, however it keeps everything original and unmodified, so worth it in my book.

Jon
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:16 AM   #3
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOhh View Post
Tl,dr:

It bolts right up, plugs right in, as expected, and sounds fantastic. Soundstage is now shifted around the top of the gauge cluster, maybe a bit higher. Center channel keeps up with loud volume levels much better now.

For $50-70 for this speaker on eBay, it may not be the most cost effective option, however it keeps everything original and unmodified, so worth it in my book.

Jon
Do you have a part number for the individual center channel speaker? Sounds like a good mod!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:18 AM   #4
E92x7z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 330

or aprox. need this Clarion srk 602
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:45 AM   #5
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah.s View Post
Do you have a part number for the individual center channel speaker? Sounds like a good mod!

Part number is 65137838915, they are pretty expensive new, so I'd look on eBay for one. Any E9/0/2/3 with Individual Audio ( in the USA only M3) will be the right one. If it's a center channel that has a tweeter in the middle of it, with a amber/brown driver, that's it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:48 AM   #6
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92x7z View Post
or aprox. need this Clarion srk 602
No need for anything other than the speaker. It plugs straight into the existing connector (at least if you have Logic7, I cannot confirm for other systems) and there is an integrated high pass filter.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:08 AM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOhh View Post
Tl,dr:

Jon
Yep.. the BMW IA speakers are probably the best bang for your buck (at least a used set in great condition) for our cars.

Only thing is if you upgrade to an entire set, you'll probably need to figure a different amp.
Appreciate 1
JonOhh672.00
      06-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #8
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So here's the long version. Please note this is a Pre LCI, with Logic 7, and no iDrive. I've found the iDrive L7 modes to sound quite different.

Don't expect to be absolutely blown away by an incredible difference, especially if you prefer to listen in the "OFF" mode for L7, since of course the center isn't utilized much in that mode. I find off is most suited to Techno, Deep House, and music of that type where the "environment" within the sound is supposed to be non-existent.

In "MUSIC" , the difference is noticable. The sound stage is not only moved, but is more symmetrical and more convincing. Where without the center tweeter, things biased strongly to the right channel would sound distant as in "hey, that sound is coming from all the way over there!", with the tweeter, things on the far right sound much more symmetrical with the left side, where it simply comes from the right side, without the distant sound.

The IA center does a much better job of filling the dashboard, as I like to put it. Pretty much anything in the Tweeter range sounds like it's coming evenly from in front. In music mode, any difference with the actual 4-in woofer is not as noticeable, until you begin to turn the volume up fairly high. From then on, its much improved power handling is obvious. Where before the center would sound stressed, this does not happen with the IA center. I had to turn the volume to uncomfortable levels (and I'm in a marching band...I'm used to loud) in order to get anything to distort, and at that point it sounded as if the limitation was the door speakers. Not a concern considering how loud it had to be for this to happen. With this setup, I found pretty much anything from WuTang and Westside Connection, to Overwerk and whatever other modern music, sounds best in this mode.

In "CINEMA" mode, something I almost never used with the stock logic 7 center, the differences are much more obvious, and I've actually found myself using cinema mode quite a bit more now.

The nasally, somewhat dirty sound of the center is gone, and replaced with what id call an accurate sound. In cinema mode with the speaker being used much more, it's characteristics become more obvious. Don't expect an appreciable difference in the mids and mid lows the speakers asked to produce, ss it is still a 4-inch woofer (duh) , but the speaker does a much better job handling what cinema mode in L7 throws at it. The speaker definitely sounds somewhat dry and cold when it is exposed in this mode, but considering it's a center channel, I think this is fine, and pairs well with the rest of the system. Some unexpected side effect is that cinema mode sounds much better blended. It used to sound as if the center was playing all of the mids by itself, and the tweeters were playing the treble along to go with it. Now it's much more homogenous, and much nicer to listen to, especially if you like music with natural instruments, like brass bands or orchestras.

I would personally not want every speaker in the system to be an IA one, at least with the L7 amplifier, as I prefer a bit of warmth over downright accuracy, but the IA center only adds a nice touch to the system, and for $50-$70, a install that only takes 2 minutes and a singular tool, I think it was a great choice.

Just a bit of a review, hopefully this helps people trying to decide whether or not to upgrade in the future.

I'll probably edit this a few times to reword some things and fix typos, but for now, Cheers.

Jon
Appreciate 0