Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Patching a Run Flat?

05-20-2020, 01:12 AM   #1
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Patching a Run Flat?

Has anyone successfully patched a Pirelli Pzero runflat? I know discount tires won't do it and I had to order a new tire, but someone did tell me some Indy shops may be able to do it?

Any feedback appreciated, never again will I be getting run flats. A total waste of money since patching isn't "recommended" on runflats.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:09 AM   #2
MacTec
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota 86 GTS

Had mine repaired a few weeks back after getting screwed (literally had a screw in it). It was only just in from the sidewall enough otherwise I was up for a new tyre. I’m in Australia though so not sure if there’s a legal difference for repair8 g run flats in US
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
Mb73288
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw 330i xdrive

They won't patch it but they might plug it as long as there's nothing wrong with the sidewall. Most local gas stations with a garage will probably throw a plug in there without caring if it's a runflat or not. Ive had 2 plugs in one runflat before and it worked fine till it was time to get new tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
premier3is
Major
Rep

Come to think of it, it may be due to the fact it's close to the sidewall too. I'll post a picture of it shortly and get your feedbacks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
19G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Has anyone successfully patched a Pirelli Pzero runflat? I know discount tires won't do it and I had to order a new tire, but someone did tell me some Indy shops may be able to do it?

Any feedback appreciated, never again will I be getting run flats. A total waste of money since patching isn't "recommended" on runflats.
They can patch it. I have done it multiple times if it is in the tread portion of the tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:04 PM   #6
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

I patched 4 runflats so far and took me till there end of life of them,
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
golferboy2312
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Discount Tire fixed a runflat for me just 2 weeks ago
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #8
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:

Here is the deal with patching runflats as it has been explained to me: Liabilty is the key reason it is refused. A runflat can definitely be patched much like a regular tire, for the most part. With a slow leak and nothing damaging the tire there is no reason it cant be. However, as it was told to me, if a run flat goes to 0 pressure and you drive on it for a period of time especially at highway speeds it compromises the tire, with a go-flat in the same scenario and you keep driving the rim will shred the tire and you are stuck (hence the reason for runflats)

The issue lies with being able to prove it hasn't been driven on at 0 pressure. Most major repair shop chains just wont take that risk. There are a few here and there that will follow manufacturer recommendations, if the manu allows it they will do it, BMW does not so you would be SOL from that angle. Thats why most recommend finding a small indy shop that can apply common sense from a conversation vs blanket corporate restrictions.
Appreciate 4
premier3is1627.00
themur67.00
EXE462097.00
      05-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #9
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I've plugged a RFT PZero without issues. While patch-plugs are the recommended way to fix a slow leak on the tread, a simple plug has never failed me. I've plugged at least a dozen tires and they've always lasted the life of the tire. It saves you the hassle of trying to find a garage that will do the work. You have to make sure you never let your tire go completely flat though, RFT or not.
Appreciate 1
Mb7328831.00
      05-20-2020, 02:10 PM   #10
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I've plugged a RFT PZero without issues. While patch-plugs are the recommended way to fix a slow leak on the tread, a simple plug has never failed me. I've plugged at least a dozen tires and they've always lasted the life of the tire. It saves you the hassle of trying to find a garage that will do the work. You have to make sure you never let your tire go completely flat though, RFT or not.
Never went flat. Only went down to 31psi and I was shown an alert on my dash.

Here's a picture of the nail. Is this considered sidewall? They took it off and showed me how it's angled outwards going towards the sidewall.

Wonder if an Indy shop can patch this...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #11
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Here's a picture of the nail. Is this considered sidewall? They took it off and showed me how it's angled outwards going towards the sidewall.

The problem is that is likely too close to apply a patch-plug without hitting the sidewall. The patches are usually over an inch in radius and they need to be completely on the tread. However, a plug repair on its own would be just fine. The problem there is that no shops just do plugs anymore. At some point, tire shops stopped plugging tires and only do patch-plug repairs now. So unless you do it yourself, you probably won't easily find a shop willing to repair that.

If this was my own car, I would plug that in my garage and be on my way.
Appreciate 1
premier3is1627.00
      05-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #12
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The problem is that is likely too close to apply a patch-plug without hitting the sidewall. The patches are usually over an inch in radius and they need to be completely on the tread. However, a plug repair on its own would be just fine. The problem there is that no shops just do plugs anymore. At some point, tire shops stopped plugging tires and only do patch-plug repairs now. So unless you do it yourself, you probably won't easily find a shop willing to repair that.

If this was my own car, I would plug that in my garage and be on my way.
Thanks for the information! I also found one more thing:

https://images.carid.com/pirelli/inf...i-warranty.pdf

I called Pirelli and they told me if discount tire submits a road hazard claim for your tire you should get it replaced at no charge under warranty. Now this is only because the car has tons of tread left and it is "unrepairable". Only have had it for 8-9 months.

I spoke with them and they said they'd have to make sure it falls I'm under every category as warrantied, and they should be able to. My question. Why the hell would anyone want to replace it for free under warranty if they have nothing to do with the original tire on the car? Just because they would count it as a sale?
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #13
Mb73288
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw 330i xdrive

Looks like a plug would work just fine on that tire. The key is finding a gas station or small garage that is willing to do it. I live in NJ and most small garages will plug a tire no questions asked and most do it without even taking the tire off .
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #14
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

I called Pirelli and they told me if discount tire submits a road hazard claim for your tire you should get it replaced at no charge under warranty. Now this is only because the car has tons of tread left and it is "unrepairable". Only have had it for 8-9 months.

I spoke with them and they said they'd have to make sure it falls I'm under every category as warrantied, and they should be able to. My question. Why the hell would anyone want to replace it for free under warranty if they have nothing to do with the original tire on the car? Just because they would count it as a sale?
That's interesting. Maybe Pirelli just partners with Discount Tire to avoid having to set up a consumer shipping center for warranty repairs. Good catch, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #15
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's interesting. Maybe Pirelli just partners with Discount Tire to avoid having to set up a consumer shipping center for warranty repairs. Good catch, though.
Actually it's a tire warranty through any of their authorized dealer not just discount tires. Even discount tires isn't 100% aware of it and wants to double check with Pirelli but Pirelli told me they should. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 06:24 AM   #16
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

I agree with an earlier poster.... Once you drive on a RF tire, the integrity of the tire is compromised and shops aren't supposed to patch it. Having said that, my local dealer said they don't patch any tires, of any type, but they will sell you a new one.
Appreciate 0