BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
msg617
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Custom order xDrive30i: impressions after two weeks

Ordered on March 2nd, production started March 5th, at the dealer (West Coast) on April 3rd, picked up on May 1st (because of COVID closures).

Custom order with the following build:

xDrive30i
M Sport Package
Carbon Black Metallic
20" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels, style 699M
Mocha Vernasca Leather with contrast stitching
Fineline Cove Matte Finish Wood Trim
Driving Assistance Package
Driving Assistance Plus Package
Executive Package
Acoustic glass
Harman Kardon surround sound system
Front and Rear Heated Seats

* I drove the M40i and loved it. But, my commute (5 miles of city driving, round-trip) means I would never use the power. I live in the city and even when I'm on the highway, it's typically stop-and-go traffic. I agonized over this. But, for an additional $8k, it didn't seem worth it. After driving my 30i, I'm happy with this decision. If I put the car in sport mode, it's absolutely fast enough for me. There is a slight delay in comfort mode accelerating from a stop, but I can live with that, too - especially because the cost to remove that delay would be $8k.

* Decided against Wireless charging because the charge rate seemed too slow for an iPhone 11. As battery life continues to improve, I'll need to charge less and less in my car; because my commute times are short, this didn't seem useful. I did briefly consider because of rumors that Apple will eventually move to only wireless charging, but, for $500, didn't seem worth it.

* Considered Dynamic Dampers. I read lots of conflicting info about when and how this works and whether it would make a difference for how I'll use the car. After driving for 2 weeks on city streets, I'm quite happy with how the car handles with the stock suspension. I read lots of posts were people were unhappy with the 20" rims, RFTs, and the stock suspension. But, I'm loving how the car handles and its road feel. No regrets on skipping this. Our other car is a 2019 Volvo XC90 with Air Suspension on 21" tires. The X3 is a more comfortable ride.

* Love how quiet the car is. Acoustic glass for $150 is an easy win.

* I thought gesture control was dumb and gimmicky. But, now I love it.

* Carbon black picks up dirt quickly. But, when it's clean, it looks amazing! Love the carbon block and mocha combo.

A few frustrations:

* The car doesn't seem to automatically re-connect my iPhone if my wife's iPhone was previously connected. I have manually select my phone from the connected devices list.

* The rear view mirror is a bit small.

* For a $62k car, some of the interior surfaces feel a bit cheap. I cross-shopped the GLC and the Merc's interior quality seemed better. Comparing to our Volvo, the BMW interior (trim, leather, finishes) comes up short.

* The HK system is just OK. Our Volvo has a B&O system, which is incredible. I found a few helpful posts on the forum around adjusting the EQ settings, which helped. But, for $62k I'd like to see a better sound system.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

For a lot less than 8k, you can throw a tune on it and get some of that power back.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:59 AM   #3
BuddhaTB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Congrats on the new X3! Let's see some photos of your new ride!
      05-16-2020, 04:44 AM   #4
Oswaldo
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw Serie 3

Congratulations on your purchase, this delay also has the M40i, some associate it to the turbolang, another to the gearbox.

Here is the M40i discussion for you to take a look.

M40i

Regards.
Appreciate 0