cesimeone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 MSport, 2018 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Intermittent Tailgate Button Operation

Hi all, possibly missing this in past threads.....either way.

Quirky little issue here not sure if anybody has experienced. 2020 MSport, the local gate button over the license plate seems to work maybe 10% of the time. I have a tow pack so kick to open is not an option but I am wondering if that possibly is confusing things??

The key fob gate selection works every time and the drivers door gate button works every time. It seems if I am far away from the car for a while (such as in the office) when I come out at the end of the day there is no response from the local trunk button on the gate itself. On the flip side, if I am at my house and the car is in the garage, I could walk down and hit the local gate button at any time and it will work....silly but it seems like a time/distance sort of thing which I assume wouldn't be the case.

Also the local "Lock" button on the inside of the gate only sometimes works. On my F15 these functions worked all the time, open the gate with the local button and close/lock with the local "lock symbol" button.

Thoughts?
      05-09-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesimeone View Post

Quirky little issue here not sure if anybody has experienced. 2020 MSport, the local gate button over the license plate seems to work maybe 10% of the time. I have a tow pack so kick to open is not an option but I am wondering if that possibly is confusing things??

The key fob gate selection works every time and the drivers door gate button works every time. It seems if I am far away from the car for a while (such as in the office) when I come out at the end of the day there is no response from the local trunk button on the gate itself. On the flip side, if I am at my house and the car is in the garage, I could walk down and hit the local gate button at any time and it will work....silly but it seems like a time/distance sort of thing which I assume wouldn't be the case.

Also the local "Lock" button on the inside of the gate only sometimes works. On my F15 these functions worked all the time, open the gate with the local button and close/lock with the local "lock symbol" button.

Thoughts?
Haven't had issues with the exterior tailgate button, but I've recently had two intermittent issues with lock tailgate button (which closes the upper and lower tailgates and locks) to the right of the close tailgate button on the inside of the upper tailgate. Beyond those two encounters, it's been working 99.9% of the time

It's been interesting to notice intermittent non-alarming electronic gremlins pop up during shelter in place, LOL.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:

Thoughts?
On mine the lock button on the tailgate doesnt work when my keyfob is out of range / behind my cellphone. But I could still close it without locking with the close button.

I open the tailgate with the handle on the tailgate or the kick.

I have the automatic towing hook and kick to open the tailgate works fine.

I sounds like it is only when you return from your office? Do you keep it somewhere where the keyfob doesn't move? After some time it becomes inactive until it moves again. Does your comfort acces work on the other doors or do you open always open your tailgate first? Maybe like this you can differentiate between a key fob / comfort acces problem or a problem with the button it self.

If my key is behind my cellphone comfort acces doesn't work. The cell phone is blocking the signal.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
cesimeone
Private
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:

Thoughts?
On mine the lock button on the tailgate doesnt work when my keyfob is out of range / behind my cellphone. But I could still close it without locking with the close button.

I sounds like it is only when you return from your office? Do you keep it somewhere where the keyfob doesn't move? After some time it becomes inactive until it moves again. Does your comfort acces work on the other doors or do you open always open your tailgate first? Maybe like this you can differentiate between a key fob / comfort acces problem or a problem with the button it self.

If my key is behind my cellphone comfort acces doesn't work. The cell phone is blocking the signal.
Thanks
I believe I have disabled comfort access but will verify when I get in the car here in a few. I always stow the briefcase in the trunk so at the end of the day the trunk is my first go-to. I am mindful of key position as I do know things (phones etc.) can block
The RF transmissions. My fob is always in my left pocket all in its own.

I know the keys go to sleep after a while, what I haven't tried yet is maybe pushing the lock button as I am walking out to the car at the end of the day to "wake" the key? Just odd, never had any issue like this with my F15, could've been out of town for 6 weeks and show up at the airport and the hatch would open with the local button. I also have a 2018 330 and haven't had any issue resembling these symptoms.

Interesting what you say about the kick-to-open. I believe every X5 with the factory installed towing package has the "kick sensor" removed as the hitch receiver takes up the sensors real estate. Maybe we are talking two different things or somebody got clever!!
      05-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thoughts?

Thanks
I believe I have disabled comfort access but will verify when I get in the car here in a few. I always stow the briefcase in the trunk so at the end of the day the trunk is my first go-to. I am mindful of key position as I do know things (phones etc.) can block

I know the keys go to sleep after a while, what I haven't tried yet is maybe pushing the lock button as I am walking out to the car at the end of the day to "wake" the key? Just odd, never had any issue like this with my F15, could've been out of town for 6 weeks and show up at the airport and the hatch would open with the local button. I also have a 2018 330 and haven't had any issue resembling these symptoms.

Interesting what you say about the kick-to-open. I believe every X5 with the factory installed towing package has the "kick sensor" removed as the hitch receiver takes up the sensors real estate. Maybe we are talking two different things or somebody got clever!!
I have the factory installed hook and the kick works.

On my f15 it didn't work indeed but on the g05 in Belgium it works. I hope it works for you.

By comfort acces I mean opening without having to handle the key fob. But I have opening on approach activated too. Maybe that could solve the issue? This feature becomes inactive after 2-3 days not driving your car by the way.

The key fob becoming inactive is for the g05 but not the f15. Therefore the display key battery lasts much longer and it should be safer for criminals trying to read your key. Maybe you should try to move it around a bit more before you get to your car? Or push a button (but you might as well push the tailgate opening button then &#129300
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
cesimeone
Private
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thoughts?

Thanks

I have the factory installed hook and the kick works.

On my f15 it didn't work indeed but on the g05 in Belgium it works.

By comfort acces I mean opening without having to handle the key fob. But I have opening on approach activated too. Maybe that could solve the issue? This feature becomes inactive after 2-3 days not driving your car by the way.

The key fob becoming inactive is for the g05 but not the f15. Therefore the display key battery lasts much longer and it should be safer for criminals trying to read your key. Maybe you should try to move it around a bit more before you get to your car? Or push a button (but you might as well push the tailgate opening button then &#129300
Yea duly noted. I realize the F15 did not have the fob features.

And my point exactly on pushing a button on the fob, mine as well be the trunk button lol.

I had an issue a while back with key fobs and the car had to go in for a reprogram on keys and the BDC. The trunk thing was present before this though. Of course when the vehicle was in for the reprogram the dealer couldn't "replicate" the trunk issue. Real world problems here guys hahaha