F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Adaptive Suspension Lowering Problems
Extreme Powerhouse

05-05-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Adaptive Suspension Lowering Problems

Had my F30 340i w/M Sport Pkg and M Adaptive suspension for about 11 days now. I'm coming from a 2013 E92 335is, a 2011 E90 335i w/Sport Pkg and a 2005 330ci w/ZHP Pkg. I've already ordered Eibach Pro Kit Springs and have read through dozens and dozens of threads/posts, but can't really get a straight answer.

I actually have two questions.

First, I know that the Eibachs aren't extreme enough to make anything freak out and everyone is saying that putting Eibach Pro Kit Springs is a good improvement for the Adaptive Suspension. But I've also seen a few posts mentioning needing a computer to "reset" the Adaptive Suspension once the new springs are in. I would imagine that this is true, but is it something that needs to happen IMMEDIATELY or can I drive the car for a few hours/days without any ill effects?

Second, will an alignment shop do this reset or will I have to go to someone/someplace specific (dealership) to have this done? And if it does have to be someone/someplace specific, can someone who does coding perform this reset?

I've looked at a couple of YouTube videos to see them change the springs so it looks fairly straightforward, so I'm hoping the reset will be the most difficult aspect of this upgrade.

Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
      05-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
It's not absolutely critical to reset the ride height measurement after installing the springs. I'm not sure if a 3rd party scanner has the capability to do it, but any shop that uses ISTA can do it (BMW indy shops should have it).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      05-05-2020, 10:25 PM   #3
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
It's not absolutely critical to reset the ride height measurement after installing the springs. I'm not sure if a 3rd party scanner has the capability to do it, but any shop that uses ISTA can do it (BMW indy shops should have it).
A good Tire/Alignment shop would not have the tool to do it? But I guess not since ISTA is specific to BMW.
      05-05-2020, 11:26 PM   #4
SilkySmoooth
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i MSPORT Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Farkle - if I were to flash my adaptive dampers using ISTA would it remove my Dinan Shockware?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 11:36 PM   #5
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkySmoooth View Post
Farkle - if I were to flash my adaptive dampers using ISTA would it remove my Dinan Shockware?
Zeroing the ride height via ISTA won't do anything to shockware. I believe to flash a new damper profile or shockware you'd have to be doing like an istep update of the EDC module.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 11:31 PM   #6
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Are there any long term adverse effects if the ride height adjustment is not done after installing lowering springs? I recently installed the pro kit as well, but this is the first I'm hearing about needing adjustments via ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 11:34 PM   #7
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuyuyuyu View Post
Are there any long term adverse effects if the ride height adjustment is not done after installing lowering springs? I recently installed the pro kit as well, but this is the first I'm hearing about needing adjustments via ISTA.
Very good question. I'd like to know as well
      05-07-2020, 11:36 PM   #8
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

I'm pushing a year on my adaptive suspension with Pro-kit/Sport kit springs on my 2015 435i RWD. No weirdness on my side and I drive like a maniac.
Appreciate 1
hybrid90245.50
      05-07-2020, 11:39 PM   #9
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
I'm pushing a year on my adaptive suspension with Pro-kit/Sport kit springs on my 2015 435i RWD. No weirdness on my side and I drive like a maniac.
I wonder if it would ride any different if you reset it...
      05-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #10
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep

Honestly, maybe yes, maybe no...

Farkle has spent GOBS of his life reading up on this stuff and we've had enough conversations during my suspension work (which he's helped out personally on - literally turning the wrench). If the suspension needed a reset, he wouldn't mentioned it to me to do.

From my observations:
1. In comfort mode, my car still has SOME bobs and dips similar to the stock height, stock springs over similar road conditions. Obviously less as the Eibachs are a stiffer spring.
2. In sport mode, my car is pretty much flat where it might lean a bit in stock form. Road undulations in sport mode are at a minimum, similar to stock.

Or in short, if I could take a straight 25% value for the Eibach set-up, I'd say it's 25% stiffer, 25% less body/roll, 25% more road "feel" etc. That's where I am now.

If someone posts, hey I reset the ride height and my car handles 100% better (whatever that may mean), I'd be more prone to give it a try.

As an aside, I do have to make my way to the dealer to reset my ACC radar sensor. It's been knocked around enough, there's a number of resets that need to be done, I may ask for it then.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #11
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
Honestly, maybe yes, maybe no...

Farkle has spent GOBS of his life reading up on this stuff and we've had enough conversations during my suspension work (which he's helped out personally on - literally turning the wrench). If the suspension needed a reset, he wouldn't mentioned it to me to do.

From my observations:
1. In comfort mode, my car still has SOME bobs and dips similar to the stock height, stock springs over similar road conditions. Obviously less as the Eibachs are a stiffer spring.
2. In sport mode, my car is pretty much flat where it might lean a bit in stock form. Road undulations in sport mode are at a minimum, similar to stock.

Or in short, if I could take a straight 25% value for the Eibach set-up, I'd say it's 25% stiffer, 25% less body/roll, 25% more road "feel" etc. That's where I am now.

If someone posts, hey I reset the ride height and my car handles 100% better (whatever that may mean), I'd be more prone to give it a try.

As an aside, I do have to make my way to the dealer to reset my ACC radar sensor. It's been knocked around enough, there's a number of resets that need to be done, I may ask for it then.
I did use ISTA to re-zero the ride height when we did your springs . Do you think you need to ask the dealer to redo it because you changed the rear spring to the Eibach Sportline after we did the prokit?

FWIW, I didn't really notice a difference after I did it on my car back when I still had EDC dampers.

Appreciate 1
exE36M3487.50
      05-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #12
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep

Ha ha ha ha, Thanks Farkle!! Wow, the process was so seamless, I didn't notice!
Or maybe I was daydreaming. :P

Well re-thank you for doing that!

Redo the ride height. Maybe?
I think the Eibach Pro drop was .4" and I went to .8" with the Sportline.

The dealer needs to re-align the car once the ACC is reset. My ACC is fine around town, but gets finicky on the highway, so I figure they might do the reset everything.

But for now, I'm not that fussed.
Appreciate 0