BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2020, 10:45 PM   #1
whtbst
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

4-Month-In Review: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Hi Everyone,

Four months ago, I picked up a new 2019 X5 xDrive40i. Mine is an xLine with the following options: Dark Graphite Metallic paint, Convenience Package, Heated Front Seats / Steering Wheel / Armrests, Harman Kardon Surround Sound, 21” Orbit Grey Wheels with 275/315 P-Zero RF Tires. MSRP: $66,070.

Overall, I am beyond thrilled with my decision. I cross-shopped the Volvo XC90, BMW X3 M40i, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3, and Toyota Tacoma Off-Road. Pretty random mix, but in the end the X5 won out by a mile in all regards.

It’s worth noting that I came from a 2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD (and prior to that, a 2014 BMW 320i Sport). So, most of my opinions below will compare against my previous vehicles. In addition, I live in LA so my daily commute is quite harsh between the traffic and rough road conditions here.

Finally, I am 6’4” and 200 pounds, so I’m a pretty big guy who needs significant breathing room for my head, broad shoulders, and long legs. I also have two kids in elementary school who take up the rear seating.

Onto my review after driving and owning the vehicle for four full months now:

Power and performance are simply amazing – this is definitely the fastest and meanest vehicle I’ve ever owned. The closest was my new 2007 Infiniti G35S which at the time was a total beast.

Transmission is flawless – buttery smooth shifts, no gear hunting or slips (MDX was notorious for this).

Handling is also terrific, I've been very impressed with the tight corning and lack of body roll – the combo of xDrive and staggered summer P-Zeros have been fantastic (no squealing around corners in parking garages like my MDX).

Ride quality is ultra smooth and comfortably absorbs most road imperfections. It would be interesting to drive an X5 with the air suspension option and 19’ non-RF tires to see the difference in ride quality, but I must say that I’m quite pleased with the ride with 21” RF tires and without air suspension.

I absolutely love the new X5 exterior design and my personal exterior color combination of Dark Graphite Metallic and 21” Orbit Grey Wheels. It just looks menacing and sophisticated at the same time. I also love this particular dark gray color because it skews more black, not blue, green, or amber like other dark grays do.

Front spaciousness and general comfort are outstanding; both major upgrades from my MDX. For a guy my size, I have plenty of head room, shoulder, and leg room.

Interior is also gorgeous – the redesign is a big improvement of the prior generation in terms of ergonomics, displays, and general design aesthetic.

Steering wheel design, function, and feel are fantastic – so glad BMW finally upgraded the xLine steering wheels from the harder grip to the softer beefy steering wheels that the M-Sport steering wheels have always had (and still have).

Harmon Kardon stereo is worth every penny and more. I tested two X5’s at purchase, one with the base stereo and the other with the HK and the difference is substantial, especially in the low-end bass. I had watched the Savage Geese review that bashed the X5 M50i HK system and couldn’t disagree more, although I suppose his point was that the M50i deserved the B&O upgrade as standard.

CarPlay is phenomenal (when it works, more on that below), especially on the gorgeous 12.3” HD display.

Outward visibility is terrific overall – no blind spots at all, the X5 probably has the best visibility amongst any vehicle I’ve operated.

DISLIKES

Fuel economy has been a bit disappointing. I've been averaging 16-17 MPG in mostly LA city driving pre-C19. Currently getting 19-20 MPG in C19 climate (way less traffic in LA now, but still fairly busy). However, I do admittedly drive on the more aggressive side (again in LA traffic), so I suppose it shouldn’t be a surprise that I’m not getting EPA rated numbers.

Center map area on cockpit screen is a total waste of valuable real estate. I only use Google Maps (via CarPlay) which does not populate map info on the cockpit screen. The BMW navigation does this, but I never use the stock navigation. So, 99% of the time I’m stuck with a big blank map dead-center.

Second row legroom is less than expected for a vehicle this size, especially without the third-row option. It should also be more adjustable – I was shocked to see that the second row seating doesn’t slide or recline.

The non-functional (dead) inner headlights are bad. I didn’t realize it until I read about someone who pointed it out (ignorance is bliss).

Not a huge fan of the big aluminum trim piece on the rear bumper, especially for an X5 with dark paint. I feel that it clashes with the overall darker color and looks much better with Mineral White.

Sensatec seating surface material is not soft enough – the material is somewhat stiff and should be smoother to the touch. That said, Sensatec is 100% wrinkle-free in the rear haha. The Tesla Model 3 synthetic leather is buttery soft in comparison to Sensatec.

Non-functional side air vents. Are we really still doing this OEMs?

Center console storage compartment is too small. I could fit a 15” laptop and my lady’s handbag inside my MDX’s center console for comparison.

Not a fan of BMW’s seat thigh extensions. I don’t find them useful or comfortable, and they always inadvertently pop out. Not to mention, a ton of debris accumulates in the extension crevice. I keep the thigh extensions unextended at all times as a result.

QUIRKS

Sunroof opening is a bit small, wish it would open up more, but also understand that it would come with buffeting issues.

No auto-dimming mirror on the passenger side – feels like BMW cut a corner here.

Thick borders around the dimmable mirrors (rear view and side driver’s) are odd – far too thick.

AC and heat are super inconsistent. I like it set at split between front-facing and floor blowers three notches up but all the power seems to run through the floor and rear vents whereas the front vents barely blow air. I’ve read all the threads on proper settings which I’ve confirmed mine are set to btw.

Front collision mitigation barely seems to register. My MDX saved me many times from minor fender benders, but the X5 barely even flashes the red car light warning let alone stop the vehicle for me. I don’t trust that it would stop me at all in serious potential fender bender situation. The system has not intervened once in four months which I find unusual for my aggressive driving style and in heavy traffic.

CarPlay doesn’t register right away about 10-20% of the time. It will sometimes take a few minutes to finally kick in.

Keyless entry is also finnicky – it doesn’t recognize me about 10-20% of the time (even when my phone isn’t next to my keyfob).

Windows roll up and down too slowly, as does the moonroof glass. Yes the rolling noise sounds cool, but just hurry it up already.

Lane prevention warning doesn’t seem to register (when there is actually a car in my blindspot) at least 10-20% of the time. Furthermore, the steering wheel vibration does not feel sufficient – I’m surprised BMW doesn’t offer an audible warning beep as well (I liked this in my MDX).

Still can’t figure out how to set my Sirius XM favorites in the cockpit display screen.

Still can’t figure out how to close the rear hatch via the door button (opening is fine, just can’t close it).

MINOR REGRETS

In the end, there are actually only three options that I regret not getting with my X5:

Leather seats (I still can’t believe a $60K base vehicle doesn’t come standard with leather)

360 degree monitor (also surprised this isn’t standard)

Third-row option (would’ve been nice for my kids’ friends to ride along with us)

CONCLUSION

I adore this vehicle so much. It is truly incredible in so many ways and is the nicest vehicle I’ve ever owned. One day, I look forward to upgrading to the X5 M Competition. The x40i already blows my mind, so I can’t even imagine what the M Competition (or M50i) must feel like.

I also appreciate everyone on this forum who have contributed topics and advice – it has been so valuable to learn more from this community.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 10
Auricom4361.50
boneca2000.50
Atchoom29.00
radmjk240.50
M40i4me1037.00
SJW55.00
1230vani652.50
Cooltones241.00
      05-04-2020, 10:59 PM   #2
jambo58
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 xDrive40i

thanks for the review, im learning a lot from this forum, im about to take delivery of an xDrive40i this friday

Im a bit taken back by the no leather seats comment. Aren't leather seats standard in all X5 models ?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:55 AM   #3
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo58 View Post
thanks for the review, im learning a lot from this forum, im about to take delivery of an xDrive40i this friday

Im a bit taken back by the no leather seats comment. Aren't leather seats standard in all X5 models ?
In the US, I think the Sensatec (synthetic leather) is the entry level standard.

We get Vernasca leather (real leather) as our entry level for our X5s here in Australia for the G05 series.

BMW Leather grades:
- Sensatec (synthetic)
- Vernasca (aka Dakota, entry level real leather)
- Nappa (premium more natural leather)
- Merino (finest quality cow-hide)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Does anyone else feel like the rear doors do not quite open far enough, especially for dogs to get in?
Appreciate 1
kkpat44.00
      05-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
WhereItsAt
Constantly Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four Wheels

Agreed. Our 2008 X5 was the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Does anyone else feel like the rear doors do not quite open far enough, especially for dogs to get in?
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #6
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Could I ask - does your 40i exhaust 'pop' when you're accelerating hard and upshifting, in sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 02:02 AM   #7
whtbst
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Could I ask - does your 40i exhaust 'pop' when you're accelerating hard and upshifting, in sport mode?
No, I can’t say that I’ve experienced my exhaust popping (like an M) during those conditions. It can definitely get growly though, especially with all four windows rolled down and after a cold start. I actually hear the turbo engage far more often than I do the occasional popping.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 07:48 AM   #8
Chris111
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i Msport

Hi whtbst. I thought that was a pretty good write up and very similar to my own experience.
The button on the door for the electronic hatchback goes up and down to open and close.
I keep mine in CarPlay permanently, but revert to the BMW home screen so I can see the standard map etc but can switch to CP by pushing the icon and I get notifications of potholes etc from Waze.
The sunroof open is very small I agree, it’s a shame. I think it’s because it slides internally rather than externally. My previous Range Rover roof slid back externally and the opening was twice the size but very little buffeting.
Lane change warning - you can adjust steering feedback in the menu
The handbook has so much info that you’d never find!
Glad you’re enjoying it.
I’m only able to use mine once a week in the lockdown at the moment ☹️ stay safe and enjoy the sunshine
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 06:12 PM   #9
LionelPoilane
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

The 2019 BMW X5 is available in two trims: xDrive40i and xDrive50i
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #10
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Nice car, and a great write up. Man oh man I wish we had your car prices over here in Europe. Here in The Netherlands cars are very highly taxed. The same model as yours would cost me over $140,000!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:14 AM   #11
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Nice color combo. The wheels and body color go well together and I actually really like the satin metal trim with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #12
ae03440
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18' M2 & 20' X3 M40i

Nice write up! Question, what made you decide this over the x340i? Was it simply the size or maybe something else? Currently shopping those two at the moment so interested to hear more. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #13
whtbst
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae03440 View Post
Nice write up! Question, what made you decide this over the x340i? Was it simply the size or maybe something else? Currently shopping those two at the moment so interested to hear more. Thanks.
In short, the x340i was never even on my consideration list. I chose the X5 for it's size and overall capability/practicality. I had driven a 2014 320i for 3 years and found it too small in the long-run for my daily routine: not spacious enough for my 6'4" frame, two kids in the rear, and hauling family stuff around. That's when I upgraded to a 2017 MDX and then could not downgrade in terms of size ever since. Plus, the new X5 delivers super impressive performance which is honestly on par (or better) than many sport sedans. If I were a smaller guy and single, the x340i would be a much more compelling proposition because it's a sweet ride for sure - just doesn't fit my lifestyle at the moment.

Separately, thanks to ems328i for the kudos and gofast182 for the compliment on my color combo!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #14
ae03440
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18' M2 & 20' X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbst View Post
Quote:
In short, the x340i was never even on my consideration list. I chose the X5 for it's size and overall capability/practicality. I had driven a 2014 320i for 3 years and found it too small in the long-run for my daily routine: not spacious enough for my 6'4" frame, two kids in the rear, and hauling family stuff around. That's when I upgraded to a 2017 MDX and then could not downgrade in terms of size ever since. Plus, the new X5 delivers super impressive performance which is honestly on par (or better) than many sport sedans. If I were a smaller guy and single, the x340i would be a much more compelling proposition because it's a sweet ride for sure - just doesn't fit my lifestyle at the moment.

Separately, thanks to ems328i for the kudos and gofast182 for the compliment on my color combo!
Apologies but I was asking about the x3 m40i and not the 340i. Thought I read that it was in your list when shopping for the x5. Thx
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:40 PM   #15
whtbst
Private
Rep

Quote:
Apologies but I was asking about the x3 m40i and not the 340i. Thought I read that it was in your list when shopping for the x5. Thx
The X3 M40i was definitely on my list — but the M340i was not. The X3 M40i was super compelling but on the smaller side for my needs and also cost as much (if not more) than the specific X5 that I went with. In the end, I felt that the overall value and size of the X5 xDrive40i outweighed the extra performance found in the X3 M40i. I also preferred the new exterior and design language of the X5. The X3 M40i felt a touch dated in comparison, particularly the interior with the old gauge clusters and center console ergonomics.
Appreciate 1
ae03440240.00